Still no job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sateacher08, May 5, 2009.

1. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

May 5, 2009

What do I have to do to get a job in the sa area!?

Iv been teaching ela spec ed resource classes in another isd 150 miles away from the city.

Excellent PDA'S ratings by principal in all domains - even exceeds expectations in classroom management/behavior, pretty good for a 1st year teacher. Team player in my dept of ELA and spec ed. Even taks-m scores seem like that there gonna be excellent in reading.

Gained much experience, professional development, have standard certifications in generalist ed 4-8, spec ed all level, esl and pe.

It just tears me up when I get to the end of the day and still no call for even an interview. I have applied to over 30 school districts in and within a 60mile radius of the city. Any suggestions, I am running out of patience?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

Well, I've heard it's especially tough in San Antonio. My brother's close friend is a certified teacher and hasn't even been able to become a sub.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2009

It's still kind of early.

We still haven't looked at contracts for next year, so I know they haven't touched any resumes.

5. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

May 5, 2009

wow i do believe it cuz i'v heard stuff like that emmakate..... idk what to do anymore.....

6. palla

palla Companion

May 5, 2009

Alice is right. It is still early. I know you want a contract now, and I can appreciate that you want to know you have a job for the fall. Unfortunately, it isn't a job hunter's market. That means you are gong to have to wait and try to come up with plan B just in case.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 5, 2009

I feel the same way. I have two years experience with extremely at risk kids in California. I have taught at a special ed preschool, and taught an ESL class. Yet, I still have not heard anything on getting a job in the Austin area. But, I do have connections, and I know for a fact most in that area are not hiring yet. I'm extremely frustrated, but we just have to keep trying.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

I got hired in September for my first SPED job in SATX. I would say just keep looking for the open positions, sending resumes, etc. If you are interested, seems like the KIPP academy was always searching for a sped teacher. That's a pretty intense job, though (you have to work extra hours and in the summer and some Saturdays....) But, you should check it out. I think they have an elementary school now... if not - they were planning one a couple years ago. The MS is called KIPP Aspire Academy. If you're not familiar with the KIPP schools, you can read up about them on the internet. They are really cool - and it's a very fun environment. I had an interview there and was very interested, but then was offered a position at a school that was much closer to me in a self-contained classroom, which was what I wanted.

9. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

May 5, 2009

Thanks, yea i'v heard of KIPP - it does seem real intense but hey its a job.... Yeah I dont know if they started interviewing yet or if they will wait till the end of school year in sa.... Good luck in the ATX area!

10. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

May 11, 2009

It seems quite a few of the SA districts are "frozen" as well. Most of the districts are really evaluating if the position is actually necessary. NISD has a few schools opening up. I had my feelers out, but elected to stay where I am for another year for family reasons. If you're not afraid of charters, I'd look around and see what is available!

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 12, 2009

I too am frustrated by the lack of jobs in the SA area. There is a job fair this weekend for Northside if you have an applicationin with them you should have gotten an email inviting you to the job fair. I have been looking all over Texas and my best response has been from North Texas although when I went to two job fairs this spring they had just as many people standing in lines as they do here. I have had interviews two in North Texas and one in Central Texas. I am trying to be patient but its getting ridiculous!!!!

12. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

May 12, 2009

I am getting antsy also. However, the district I have applied in has had a lot of positions cut and those people get first preference. Once they are placed they will consider any new hires if openings are available. I have worked in the district before and should have all positive references, so that should help.

Good luck.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2009

Still sitting here wondering when interviews are going to start.

14. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 12, 2009

Me too, I just at least want an interview.

I was also thinking about KIPP Austin. It sounds like a great program, but my hubby is not too sure about the additional hours. I don't have the cert to teach at their middle school, but they told me at the job fair that they don't require teaching certs. I'm going to call, because I feel weird filling out the app without confirmation.