Still need help with this question-please

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by lemonhead, Mar 9, 2007.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2007

How would you answer this if your only experience is as a sub?

How do you assess student learning?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

I think you give them hypothetical answers, just as if you had just graduated college and had no classroom experience.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Mar 10, 2007

When you are teaching a lesson, as a sub, how can you tell that the kids understand what you have said, what you are doing and what they are doing? You may not do a formal assessment on them as a sub, but you have ways of knowing that they understand what is being taught. Looking at papers, discussions, the looks on their faces...then you can add if you were the regular classroom teacher you would assess them _____________and tell what you would do.

5. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 10, 2007

I think they want to hear about alternative assessment- a variety of assessment methods such as: portfolios, rubrics, observation, and traditional methods which would be just by grading papers and all.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2007

Now is your chance to say what YOU would do in your classroom. Your answer should encompass all types of assessments.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2007

Thank you everyone.

Is something like this okay?

As a substitute, I had the opportunity to use to several types of assessments. In my own classroom, I would assess before, during and after an instructional unit and adjust my teaching strategies accordingly. I would use many forms of assessment including work samples, monitoring and observations, hands on experiments, checklists, portfolios and projects. In addition, I feel it is important that students take part in their own assessment when possible ie. by helping create rubrics to be used in critiquing their own performance or doing their own self-assessments. Lastly, I think ongoing feedback is critical in order for learning to place and for the effectiveness of my teaching strategy to be determined and adjusted as needed.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

I think it's good.

But I would change "would" to "will"-- a bit of positive thinking can't hurt!!

I would also lose the "ie". End the sentence and start with "One or two ways might be to..."

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 10, 2007

okay- great! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your awesome advice. If you were here I'd buy you lunch!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

You're welcome!!

But I'm busy today with my Irish Soda Bread marathon :)