Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachart, Jul 12, 2014.
Aug 8, 2014
It pays less though so I'm torn, the starting pay is the same but they are on a pay freeze.
Its time to make a list, pro's and con's for each district.
But once you make a decision, own it, don't feel torn up about the ones you didn't choose or you may never really settle in.
Congrats on the multiple offers!
District 1 pros
Good pay and benefits
Freedom over curriculum
Opportunity to travel with students during the summer
District 1 cons
Responsible for all 3 elementaries
Students only get a trimester of art
No support from other art teachers
District 2 pros
Young passionate staff
Responsible for 1 elementary and teach a few classes at another
Not the only art teacher students get art at least once a week, sometimes more
Freedom over curriculum
District 2 cons
High poverty area
Higher stress level because of financial difficulties
No art budget for materials
Don't just look at starting pay. Look at the top of the scale, too, if you are thinking this could be 'forever'. What about planning time differences? Difference in teaching/planning load?
Umm, I've got no more good ideas. Tough choice!
Though I would lean toward the non-traveling position because I am the type the would forget what school I had to be at what day....but I tend to be a bit of an idiot, sooooo......
The lack of funding for materials would be a big concern of mine. How is district E- lay offs? Shrinking? Could they eliminate the art program or cut it back? Just trying to think about job security
I had no budget at my last job and raised a few thousand so that doesn't worry me. District 1 has a lot more job security, but I think I would be unhappy down the line.
My students would be able to finish 3 projects in the trimester they get art. That makes me really sad
Aug 9, 2014
It sounds like you would be happier with the other job.
Will you be able to get the parental/community support with funding here? Just trying to think of everything
I think so! My parents were not involved at my old school, maybe 3 families donated a total of $50. That's a good thing to think about, and I've been told the families are more involved here!
It boils down to time, if they don't have me signing by Wednesday I can't accept it.
I decided to accept this other job! Not looking forward to letting the other district know, but my heart is so wanting to be at this urban district I cannot help but follow it.
Will sign Monday or Tuesday and start setting up my classroom.
I'm reading through thread but I'm so confused at all the (.) numbers in your posts. What do they mean?
I've never seen that type of shorthand/text/net speak abbreviation for something.
They mean part time. 0.5 is 1/2 of the week. 0.6 is six tenths of the week.
Aug 10, 2014
Wow! Again, I've never seen people abbreviate it like that. Most just say part time or name the exact hours. Huh.
Aug 11, 2014
Welp my student teaching district finally called me for an interview! I declined it. It's funny because that was originally the only job I was planning to apply to.
Timing is everything, and I'm 100% positive I accepted the right job offer
They waited this long to call you, and the job has been available for how long?
I would have declined in your position too, it feels like ....... 'well we've tried everyone else, maybe we should try her'.....
Glad you like where you ended up.
They've known about the retirement since March.
They haven't interviewed anyone though. They waited until today to schedule interviews on Wednesday.
My mentor teacher (who was the one that retired) is LIVID!
ETA: The job wasn't posted until June 19th, but I'm pretty sure they could've interviewed before that considering every other district has!
I get the feeling that they don't value art teachers and think we're a dime a dozen.
Ummm, that kinda makes it worse.....
So I just got another job offer?
I turned the .5 down at my hometown high school. But that Principal just called and said they would be posting a .5 reading interventionist and would I consider BOTH positions?
I'm getting my masters in teaching reading, but only as a back up. I'd rather teach art. So I said no!
I don't even have my reading specialist certification yet but he said that didn't matter! Weird.
Umm, wow! Maybe it is time to hand out a sign, no vacancies available or I'm taken? LOL
BTW, you must interview REALLY well!
As they say, when it rains it pours!
Glad all worked out for you though!
I like the sign idea :lol:
I have been told I interview well but I don't believe it! I get so nervous my chest and neck turn red. I try to be super bubbly to compensate for it.
I really think that it is the "super bubbly" that gets the job most times!
At my nightmare charter, the P flat out asked me where the cheerful bubbly person went. I wanted to say "you managed to suck the life out of her in record time!"
If this wasn't so , it would be :haha:
I'm so glad your life has changed for the better this year.
Thanks. Me, too.
I'm not an overly bubbly type in general, anyway. I would be exhausted! I turn it way up for interviews. Because as you said, bubbly wins.
My comfort level in a job affects my bubbliness. In my NC school, most times I was on the bubbly side. A few rough years weren't super bubbly. Charter school was the antithesis of bubbly. My LTS might have been my bubbliest ever! Then my K job was not so bubbly. I predict next year will be an inbetween year. I like the school, but I'm so tired of everyone warning me about how rough this group of kids are.