still interviewing!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachart, Jul 12, 2014.

1. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Hey everyone!

If you don't know my saga, I just finished my first year of teaching 1.5 hours away. Did a great job but the distance wasn't good. Principal flipped out about me leaving and threatened to provide a negative reference and put me on a plan of action in the fall. Kinda crushed my confidence for a while and I was sure my career was ruined.

Still managed to get a part time offer at a cool district
    Really excited about it because having 2 days free during the week means I can really go in depth with my graduate school research and visit other classrooms.

However, I really want a full time position. Especially because my coop from student teaching retired and I applied for her position!
    I also have another interview for a full time position on Thursday. My friend's sister teaches in that district and I'm super excited.

So I thought I'd post my experiences here in the style of giraffe :)

Applications:

A) Suburban district 50 minutes away. No interview, position is filled.
    B) Suburban district 30 minutes away. No interview, not sure if it's been filled.
    C)Urban school district 30 minutes away. No interview, not sure if it's been filled.
    D) Suburban district 45 minutes away. Interviewed and given the offer! .6 teaching art M T and W.
    E)Urban district 10 minutes away. Interview on Thursday
    F) Suburban district 45 minutes away where I student taught. My coop teacher says I'll be getting called to interview soon! This is probably my top pick because I'm so familiar with the district.
    G) Suburban district 35 minutes away where I had a field placement. It's one of the largest districts in the state and they don't know which building the opening will be in, so I don't think they've interviewed anyone yet.
    H)Catholic school 30 minutes away, part time. Called me for an interview and I turned it down as I already like district D and had their offer.
    I) Suburban district 15 minutes away. Most recent job I've applied to and I haven't heard anything yet.

So I might end up keeping the one job offer I've received, but I'll post here about my other interviews and if I get to *fingers cross* decide between multiple offers.

Being that I was so terrified my old P was going to ruin my career, I'm so glad my confidence is back and that it hasn't interfered with anything. I know exactly what to say during an interview but it hasn't come up yet and I have a lot of references to counter her.

I haven't submitted my letter of resignation yet because I need to buy insurance for August. That's stressing me out too.

3. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Have you accepted this other job?

I know what you mean about mad supervisors!! I had one of those, oh my gosh it was horrible! He wanted to investigate my sick leave and I was afraid I was going to have an official reprimand to explain in my interviews - that was the head of the music department, luckily my principal and vice principal were totally not on board with him being angry so they were supportive (and gave me really good recommendations!). So weird because in my experience with the three of them it was usually the opposite, him supporting me while they were...not mad but being a little overly critical (of my concerts). They all butt heads a lot though so I'm just glad to be out of that whole mess.

I'm going to be working part-time next year too but I'm so happy. Honestly I think part-time can be great to have that extra time to relax and think deeply and develop curriculum and things. A friend I'm doing grad classes with this summer was .5 this past year and she said, while it wasn't ideal, she felt like she could actually do the best she was capable of because she wasn't stressed out.

I'm interested how you will navigate, if you've already accepted this job, turning around and taking another one....did you tell them part-time wasn't ideal for you?

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I verbally accepted the offer but haven't signed anything.

In my state you can get out of a contract at any time for the most part. So if I received a full time offer I would tell the first district. It would burn a bridge with them, but worth it as I'd have a better position.

When I was applying for my current job I signed by the first week of June (really early here) and continued to get called for interviews which I turned down. All of my professors and mentors told me I was making a big mistake and they were right.

Lesson learned, and although it's an unpopular opinion on this forum I will have no problem breaking a contract to take a better job!

5. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

**nod** ok just curious, sounds more flexible than where I am

"All of my professors and mentors told me I was making a big mistake and they were right." <- you mean because the commute was so long? Or because you had a nasty principal :(

It seems like the principal should understand that an hour and a half commute is just nuts so you are going to look for a situation that's better for you. I mean that of all reasons sounds like a good one to me, it's not personal at all you know? It's not because you didn't like the school/principal and such, just that it happened to be inconvenient.
    Anyways you know that, I just get upset about mean supervisors, it's not hard to be an understanding person for goodness sake.

6. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

They felt I would get a closer offer if I kept interviewing last year.
    So that is why I am continuing to interview now.

The principal should've understood, but they have not been able to keep anyone in that position for more than 2 years and I think they are getting frustrated. I also did a lot of awesome things like maintain digital portfolios for each student, held art clubs, brought in visiting artists, and wrote grants for iPads - none of which had been done before. So that might play into it too!

Either way, I will not be returning to them :)

7. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Wow that's pretty impressive that you did all that in your first year!! Makes me feel like a slacker!!! hahaha

Don't look back! :p

Good look with finding a full-time position, will be interested to hear how it goes. I was offered a full-time job after I accepted the part-time one, so it definitely happens haha but...I'm so much happier with the part-time one!!! Mostly because the school seems totally wonderful and I'm really excited about the classes I will teach. (Music and movement is one of them! And band which I miss teaching)

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

District I called to schedule an interview Wednesday!

District F still hadn't called but my art ed professor said the principal asked her for recommendations and she recommended myself and 2 other graduates of the program, still anxious while I wait to be called for an interview :)

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

Good to see more options are coming up for you.

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Thanks Bunnie!

I'm so nervous for these interviews, but so excited as well. It will be great to get experience interviewing if nothing else.

11. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

Interview today went well. Should hear if I make it to the next round in about a week.

As I was printing out my mini portfolios I realized there was a typo on my resume that I had submitted on all my applications. >.<
    Good thing it hasn't seemed to interfere with getting called to interviews. Fixed it up of course! I wrote Languages Art instead of Language Arts. Silly letters argh.

12. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

Interview with District E went well. I think I did an ok job, but I could really see myself working there and I'd say it's my top choice.

Then I got home and went to the dog park and met a teacher who told me about an opening at her charter school. I was in a dual enrollment program in HS with students from that school and it's well respected, so I'll put my application in tomorrow.

I can't tell you how many openings I've heard about from people at the dog park. And I live in a pretty small town! Go to your dog park people, and you will know about all the job openings :)

13. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Made it to the second round with District I! Unfortunately, the demo lesson won't be until July 30th. Wish it was sooner, as I'll probably have to sign with district D after board approval on the 28th.

B) Suburban district 30 minutes away. No interview, not sure if it's been filled.

C)Urban school district 30 minutes away. No interview, not sure if it's been filled.

D) Suburban district 45 minutes away. Interviewed and given the offer! .6 teaching art M T and W.

E)Urban district 10 minutes away. Interviewed on Thursday. Final decision will be made next week.

F) Suburban district 45 minutes away where I student taught. Still have not scheduled an interview although the Principal has told quite a few people she wants to interview me.

G) Suburban district 35 minutes away where I had a field placement. As far as I know they have not started the hiring process yet.

H)Catholic school 30 minutes away, part time. Called me for an interview and I turned it down as I already like district D and had their offer.

I) Suburban district 15 minutes away. Demo lesson on July 30th.

J) Inner city charter school with a stellar reputation. Just applied.

14. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

A teacher in District G called me today. Two additional teachers are going on sabbatical and she thinks they won't schedule interviews until August.

The department is getting together at a local bar on Friday and she invited me to come with her so she can introduce me to the department heads. I'm excited!

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 20, 2014

Sounds fun! Good luck.

16. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks!

It's been a week and no call from District E so I guess that means I didn't get the job :(

Meanwhile District D said the board met early and approved me. I managed to buy some time because of my graduate classes but I'm torn.

Should I sign with them?

17. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Yep, didn't get it.

Principal called and was very apologetic. He said I gave a perfect interview but the position went to someone more experienced. Then he said he actually preferred hiring newer teachers and wished he could've hired me. We talked for quite some time and he said to call him when I scheduled other interviews so he could call the Principal and recommend me.

Friends think the decision was above his head. I'm disappointed. I just want to know where I'll be teaching this year.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

It does sound like that. :(

In other news, I received the rejection emails from my hometown. They didn't even interview me. Again.

19. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Ugh. That district doesn't deserve you!

20. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

There is now a District K.

The high school I attended is hiring a .5 art teacher. I have no high school experience, so I'm kinda shocked they called me to interview.

It'll be a great learning experience.

21. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 30, 2014

I don't think anyone reads this, so here's my last update:

District I - I had a demo lesson today. They called with the offer a few hours ago and I meet the superintendent tomorrow.

District K - I interviewed with them today as well. It's a .5 but at the high school I attended. That district also posted a full time elementary position this morning, so all my friends in the district were blowing up my phone to let me know.

At this point, I'm not sure where I'll end up signing, but it looks like I'll truly have options.

Thanks to anyone who followed this thread. If you ever find yourself in a negative situation with your admin, don't give up hope! Districts will see what a great teacher you are and will not be discouraged by vindictive administration who try to tarnish your reputation.

Best of luck everyone :)

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 30, 2014

I still read this! So according to your list this I is a full time position? Tell us more about this job offer! :)

How are you going to tell the other district you aren't taking the .6 position? Did you sign a contract yet with them?

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2014

Holy cow, to have that many options in Michigan is unheard of. Let us know where you go.

24. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 30, 2014

I've been reading this! I may not have responded, but I read this! Best of luck to you in whatever you choose. You really do have options and that's awesome.

25. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks everyone! I was supposed to sign for the .6 position this morning but I told them I had a conflict and they said "No worries, come in next week, doesn't matter when."

So I hope I'll find out more about the full time position today, and when I will sign that paperwork.

wldywall - The competition in art education is not as fierce as for other positions. There are usually only 100-200 applicants.
    Still more applicants than there are positions, so I am very blessed to have had multiple offers.

26. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

Congrats!! Sounds like you have had lots of possibilities!

27. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

I read your thread! Keep us posted!

28. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

Thanks! I didn't think I'd need to update again but I do.

Kinda confusing so bear with me.

On Wednesday I interviewed for a .5 in my home district and a 1.0 in the district next door. On Wednesday they also posted a 1.0 in my home district.

Thursday I was offered the 1.0 in the district next door. The .5 called me back for the next round with deputy superintendent.

Friday I interviewed with the deputy superintendent. I told him I was no longer interested in the .5 as I had a full time offer, but asked what he could tell me about the full time. He said he wanted to interview me anyways (a 30 minute scripted interview, I almost died!) and I must've impressed him because afterwards he said "When do you have to sign for your other offer?" And when I told him the end of next week he said "I'm going to tell the elementary panel to set up an interview early next week."

Didn't think it would happen, but lo and behold I just got a call to interview for the full time elementary in my home district tomorrow at 9am.

Still haven't signed anywhere. Getting nervous but SO excited.

It would be nice to teach in my hometown, the teachers I had still work there (and since I volunteered for them in college they provided references for me) and my friends have now been hired into that district as well.

I feel like my head is going to explode. I can't wait to sign with my new district, whichever one that is.

Still haven't heard anything from the two districts I taught in for student teaching. If they call this week I will probably decline the interviews.

29. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

The scripted interview was crazy. It was 30 questions fired off in a row, and he was not able to respond at all to my answers. Has anyone had an interview like that before?

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

It sounds like it was a test to see how you perform under pressure!

Good luck with the home town job!!

31. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Yes. Large panel interviews with rapid fire questions. My interview skills changed significantly after those. I was always well prepared and ready for any type of question but the rhythm of those changes it all. Those panels were intense but they got to meet the real me.

I applied for a couple of jobs that required an essay response and then the panel. It was a long drive to the district then the essay and interview. It was extremely impersonal and I left tired and hungry. My current job is demanding but those two interviews were something else entirely.

Congratulations on your good luck with getting interviews. Hope it pans out to something you truly want.

Also, I've had jobs where it was less than five days a week. It seems like you can have extra time for graduate work but the reality is that you are cramming teaching into those few days. It is more administrative/prep /cleaning than teaching. Sometimes that is harder.

32. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

Thanks! He said it was to test my teaching philosophy, but I think you're right - it's to see how you handle pressure! I know they ask those 30 questions regardless of what position you are applying for.

It was so difficult to not get a response from him, just noticing him checking off each question he asked. Not even a smile or nod or anything.

Scripted panel interviews don't bother me as much because there is usually some level of conversation and you can use your teaching portfolio to answer questions.

33. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2014

That's how our interviews are. I was on our interview committee this year, and I honestly didn't like it, because we weren't allowed to say anything that wasn't on the paper. Sometimes we wished a candidate would have explained something a bit more or we had a unique question for them, but we couldn't ask it. Apparently it's an HR rule so that all interviews are exactly the same and candidates can't claim any kind of bias or discrimination.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I've done several of these over the phone. Usually as a screener.

35. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

Wow congrats! I'm loving reading about your very promising journey. I'm glad you have a full time position in the bag already but let's hope you get this one in your home district. If not well you have something solid and full time not far from home.

36. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

Yeah, this wasn't a screener though! It was second round, after they narrowed it down to a few candidates.

Here's a recap of all my applications

B) Suburban district 30 minutes away. Filled internally.

C)Urban school district 30 minutes away. Position was eliminated.

D) Suburban district 45 minutes away. Interviewed and given the offer! .6 teaching art M T and W. I turned it down before I signed.

E)Urban district 10 minutes away. Interviewed on Thursday. Hired an internal candidate, but Principal was very excited about me.

F) Suburban district 45 minutes away where I student taught. Still have not scheduled an interview although the Principal has told quite a few people she wants to interview me.

G) Suburban district 35 minutes away where I had a field placement. As far as I know they have not started the hiring process yet.

I) Suburban district 15 minutes away. Offered the job for full time elementary.

J) Inner city charter school with a stellar reputation. Applied, no interview yet.

K)Suburban district where I grew up. Interviewed for .5 HS job and took myself out of the running, but am still being considered for a full time elementary.

37. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

District k offered me the .5 but not the full time, I turned it down.

District e called me to offer the job, their 1st choice fell through. It is my favorite district so I a asked for time to think about it.

I am supposed to sign with district I on Monday. Much confused.

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2014

Go with your instinct. Which job gives you the best vibes?

39. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

District e, hands down! My friends sister works for them and is going to call me tonight to give me the inside scoop, ironically her boyfriend works for the other district that offered me a full time.

40. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2014

I think you have your answer! Good luck!!

41. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2014

Sounds like your gut is lurching toward District E!