Still in Contact w/ an Old BF/GF?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2011

Pisces' interesting topic got me thinking about this one. So, are you?

Not me & I don't see myself doing it in the future. I'm pretty sure my BF doesn't keep in touch w/ his.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

The one guy I had some sort of relationship with besides my husband isn't part of my life any longer...it was in high school, and I gladly left that silliness in the past. The one girl my husband had a relationship with in high school is also not a part of his life. The reasons are simple: he was a jerk, and she is crazy. :)

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

Since I didn't get married until I was 34 and Rockhubby was 36, I did my share (and probably the shares of a few others) of dating. Many of my exes were and are fantastic people. There was something about them that made me like them. Just because the relationship didn't lead to a forever situation doesn't change that. Rockhubby and I both had exes attend our wedding and we attended theirs.

Does this apply to all of my exes? Absolutely not. One of them grabbed my cat (then a kitten) and shoved her entire head into his mouth before throwing her at me. Pandora and I still have a major problem with that one! There are others who don't want to stay friends with me because of one reason or another.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 13, 2011

I'm not friends or even in touch with any of my exes, but I still occasionally keep in touch with one exe's mother. She was my mentor in grad school and in my first management job.

6. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2011

I was married from 1976-2004. I have 5-6 old BFs/dates from before 1976 on facebook. It's been so long they're ancient history now but still friends! As for having my ex as an fb friend--no chance!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Nope. I've been married since 1989.

Peter is the only guy in the picture for me.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2011

Nope. Never really saw the point. Although if current BF and I broke up, I would find it hard to believe that I would just never see him again. But I guess after awhile it would happen. But I don't have to worry about that.

When I met BF, he was friends with an ex. He told me about it right away and explained that they had been friends before and kind of starting dating out of boredom and then just realized that they should have just stayed friends - plus they were together when his dad was dying and she would drive his dad to chemo and that kind of thing - so it made sense to me that they would still be close. Plus, she was married. So in theory I was ok with it. Then I met her - she was horrible. I tried to be nice but she was super passive-aggressive and competitive. She is one of those girls who tried to be a tomboy - one of the guys - but really causes more drama than most girls do.

About a year before we moved in together, her and her husband got a divorce. My BF said they might be hanging out more to help her through it, and I said No. I said she has girlfriends for that, and it is not appropriate, even though I totally trusted him. The funny thing is, after that he started hanging around with her husband and they became really good friends, then she moved to another state and my BF moved in with her ex. Then I moved in with them before we found our house. It was a little weird.

Then she came to get her cats after I had moved in and passively accused my cat of giving her cat fleas, even though there were no fleas on my cat. She reached legend status when she smashed a sledge hammer through her OWN racecar windshield - at that point I told BF is no uncertain terms that I didn't care to ever be around her again and that if he saw her at racing events that's fine but she was never welcome in my house. I feel bad for her - she obviously has some mental illness and last I heard she tried to commit suicide and was in an institution for awhile. BF has pretty much stopped talking to her except the rare instance he might see her with her ex or racing.

9. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

The only ex I talk to is my kids mom. We were high school sweet hearts and we all know how that ends. Other then that, I did not offically marry until two years ago. Before that, maaah I was a bit of a bad boy lol I dated alot. It was one of those situations were I'm young, its friday and its time to go let loose lol Luckly I met my wife. along that route, I met some really crazy women in my day. FYI Stalkers are not cool.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

We were never really bf/gf but we were really close to that. We're still friends. We text and facebook a lot. I only have one ex that I continue to talk to. He's married to another girl we went to school with. They just had twins. One of the twins was discovered to have cancer so I've been in more contact with him more recently to send prayers.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 13, 2011

Nope! I used to talk to one ex occasionally, but my current boyfriend wasn't a fan of that. I understood, too, because the ex would say how much he loved me and other inappropriate things. So, we don't talk anymore.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

DP~that would definitely be something that would push him away from me too!!

And, I know that my hubs is friends with his ex-girlfriend on facebook. In fact we share the same first/middle name.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2011

What the ?! :eek::mad:

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

Yes, all of them but one. A few of them from high school are some of my closest friends now, and I am also very good friends with their wives.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 13, 2011

Neither DH nor I had any other serious relationships, so that's not an issue that we have.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

I was in a BAD place when I dated that one.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

I like to type a name in the search engine and see what I come up with. About 10 years ago, I typed in the name of my teenage boyfriend and found out he has a successful wood carving business! There were photos and all and I got quite a kick out of it. I was 16 at the time and he was 18, so it was pretty funny to see his "old" picture, gray hair and all!

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

Oh my gosh!!! :eek::( Poor Pandora!

I have a friend on facebook who was a boyfriend back in fourth grade. :) We don't speak much, though. I figure, this was a pretty innocent relationship, so I don't see anything wrong with it. :)

19. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 13, 2011

I recently was able to get in touch with my first BF. We dated for a few months and then became really close friends. Nothing more after that. I was curious to find out what had been of his life and I searched him on FB. He was my BF over 20 years ago.

An ex I had about 8 years ago sent me a friend request but I declined. We were never friends after we broke up so I didn't want to stay in touch with him. Other than that, I stay in touch with my daughter's dad because of my daughter but we are not friends.

I don't think my husband stays in touch with any exes although he told me he used to have a lot of female friends. The only serious relationship he had before me was with his ex wife and he needs to stay in touch with her because of his son. Believe me, he's no friends with her at all.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

One of my ex boyfriends is one of my best friends now. I've married (and divorced) since then, and he's about to get married in this weekend! He and his fiance are good with it, but my ex-husband was not (for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with anything.)

I'm also still very good friends with my first husband, who is my daughter's dad. I babysit his kids for him sometimes, and we never have any drama. His wife used to have a problem with it, but once she realized that shipped had sailed for both us, she relaxed a bit.

The other two exes (one a husband, one not)... I would not willingly speak to either...

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2011

I talk on facebook a little with one guy that I casually dated before I met my husband. It is definitely friends only-I have gone and spent time with him and his current girlfriend. If my husband wasn't comfortable with it, I wouldn't do it. But it's not that often anyway-we don't live near each other.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

Rockhubby's high school girlfriend is like my sister now. She's the one who had breakfast and a soak in the hotel hot tub with me the morning of my wedding. We attended her wedding the year before. Rockhubby had not only dated the bride but two of the three bridesmaids. It was a good giggle for me.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

I'm still friends with two ex-boyfriends. I broke up with the first one when he and his ex-wife decided to try to make it work again. We began dating shortly after both of our divorces. I understood his need to try to fix things when she asked if he'd be willing. After all, they had been married over 20 years. About a year later, I ran into him at a bar, discovered that it didn't work out for him and our friendship picked back up. We're very casual friends: facebook, a phone call every couple months, that sort of thing.

The other ex I'm still friends with is a long story, which many of you know. He's only an ex because I moved 2000 miles away. While I can't see a circumstance that will bring us back together, I also can't see never being friends with him again. We were friends for a long time before we were romantic. Heck, he was my teacher (TA in undergrad). I knew him before I was married, and he's one of the best friends I've ever had. I'm not giving that up just because life threw a curveball.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

Not really. A few are on FaceBook and we've exchanged a few posts, but that's about it. I see one of them at school athletic events from time to time and we speak kindly to each other.

Not a single one of them make my heart flutter or anything like that, but many of them are nice people.

25. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2011

This may seem weird but my first gf (elementary) and my first love (10th grade) who are best friends, meet near where I live and we all get together for dinner and a visit each year around October.
    My wife is fine with it and we have so much to catch up on.
    I usually let them know what is going on with the ones we went to school with way back.