Still hope? Or not a chance?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Aug 14, 2015.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Hi everyone. It's been some time since I've been on here. I had an interview yesterday that I felt so great about. I got a lot of "great answer" responses. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it made me feel that I did pretty well. I've had interviews where I walked out feeling like I did OK and some that I knew I wouldn't hear back. This one, however, was really good, or so I thought. Anyway, they said that they would be interviewing again today and letting candidates know the next steps by tonight. I didn't hear back, and so I assume that I'm not moving on to the next steps. Sad. However, I was wondering if anyone has any positive stories of not hearing back by their deadline, but still getting the job. I'm still looking and applying, of course. Also, I've had so many districts never let me know that I didn't make it. I just wish they would send out a quick email to the candidates who didn't make the cut. It would stop all of this agonizing we all do. Oh well.

3. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

I can totally empathize of feeling like an interview went great and not hearing anything once the deadline passes. I'm sorry but imho outlook doesn't look good (I'm in the same position).

What helps me in this situation is telling myself (when I know it went really well) that I couldn't have done any better, that it is beyond my control, and that for some reason beyond my knowledge---it just wasn't meant to be. And something better (hopefully soon) will be in the near horizon.

Hugs!

4. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Hugs to you too Burgandy. Hope you find something soon as well.

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Thank you :)

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 14, 2015

I have also had 2 experiences where I felt like I Aced my interviews but I didn't hear back... It sucks, I know. hugs!

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Unfortunately not hearing back is typically what has always happened to me. The only "second chance" story I have is when I applied for a special ed job with this school years ago. The position was one where I technically wasn't qualified for based on my license (2 different forms of special ed licenses here). By luck one that I was qualified for became available and the principal called me up offering it to me on the spot.

I've had way too many interviews where they basically make it seem like the job is mine (my friends and I joke that they did everything but deliver my keys). There was good feedback to my answers, smiles, laughs, "we'll be in touch", etc. but meant nothing in the end. That being said, I've had offers in the past from interviews where no one smiled or gave me feedback.

8. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 14, 2015

LOL on joking about delivering the keys. Interviewing is so crazy.

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

It is. I've learned do not expect anything, but that also anything is possible.

10. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I think typically if you don't hear by the deadline, it's not good news. However, always expect the unexpected lol

I interviewed in the beginning of July for a position. I was told that it would be about a week before I heard back. Fast forward to a few days ago - I got a call for a job offer! The principal said that things got "held up" on their end, whatever that means.

Don't lose hope!

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 19, 2015

I too interviewed for a position at the end of June/beginning of July.........I was called last week and offered the position. I guess their initial choice fell through. :)

Also yesterday I was called by another school division to interview and staff report next week.......so it is not too late. :thumb:

12. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 19, 2015

Thanks everyone. School starts right after Labor Day here, so I'm hoping something comes up. I applied for another job today. Fingers crossed.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2015

Keep looking and applying! I got my first permanent position a week into the school year.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2015

Since I have gone through this with my son, let me suggest that yourevisit all previous applications and check for new listings. You are in applitrack, but you physically have to go through the individual applications and check if there is a new listing that you want to be considered for.

In NJ I kept a running screen open on njschools.com as the last couple of weeks were very busy. They will be looking to have warm bodies in the classroom in just a couple of weeks, so keep an eye out for these last minute postings. The new postings would increase throughout the day, and I would hop on those as soon as I saw them. I say that "I" did these things, but I was mostly just the spotter and he did the work - seems fair.

Good luck.

15. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 19, 2015

Thanks so much. I think it's awesome that you helped your son like that. Job hunting takes so much time that it's a tremendous help to have someone else keeping their eyes out too in case you miss something.