Still having second thoughts about my decision!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ari33, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Ari33

Ari33 Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

I had been having trouble deciding if I wanted to become a high school English teacher, or an elementary teacher. I finally decided on high school English, and have registered for and been studying for the CSET... But I still don't feel 100% confident in my decision... I love English, but not all areas of what I would need to teach. Although, I think it would be more intellectually stimulating and interesting teaching high school English. However, while the subject matter is not as interesting to me, I love working with little ones!
    Any advice?

3. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

Have you thought about middle school? I was in the same exact situation as you, and I am getting an elementary K-8 license in my state but focusing on my middle school endorsement in language arts. Other states have a 5-8 license or 6-12.

4. Meglin

Meglin Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

I second the middle school recommendation. I was in the same shoes as you were 3 years ago.

I spent one semester majoring in secondary education with a focus on English, then thought I would like to work with little ones more. I found it endearing that I would be able to make the content so fun. Two semesters were spent interning in a 1st and 2nd grade classroom, and I couldn't take it; I needed content that was more stimulating for me.

So I opted for middle school science, and I LOVE it! This year of student teaching has been a dream, and when I finish in May, I plan to continue teaching middle school. The content is much more stimulating, but the students are still enthralled by some of the same things elementary students are, and I can do lots of "cutesy" stuff with them.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 4, 2015

MIDDLE SCHOOL 4EVER!

It is really the best of both worlds. (Or totally terrible, depending on who you ask. :lol:) They are really just little kids with big kid content. I have a lot of fun with them, and I am an ex-primary teacher. (2nd/3rd)

6. bluegill

bluegill Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

Just go with English; you learn things along the way, especially if you are just one step ahead of your kids. And you never know; the things you think you don't like might turn out to be your favorite.

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 5, 2015

Take a look at middle school.