Still Got It - The Teacher Glare

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 31, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2009

I was in Lowe's yesterday waiting in line and this brat in front of me is playing with the buttons and the credit card swiper, pulling the divider between register stations in and out, taking the batteries, etc. on the impulse buy rack and just dropping them on the floor. I mustered up my best teacher look and just stared at him with utter disappointment and admonishment...and he stopped.

Snap! - still got it!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Oh, it's like riding a bike...you never forget!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

You know you are a teacher when you give the 'glare' in Lowes!! (I admit, I'm also very tempted to organize lines of people anywhere!!) ;)

5. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I also find children staring at me in stores....I give off that "teacher smell" I guess..:rolleyes:

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

Works almost every time! Just watch out for the parents.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

ha! No matter what store I enter, people think I work there. One time someone told me "You just look like you know what you're doing!" I joked back "I guess it's because I'm a teacher; I just look helpful!"

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Hee hee! Mine gets noticed in Walmart all the time! LOL

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

My glare is fierce. I sometime give it to my SO. He does NOT like it.

10. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

:toofunny:

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2009

My dh told me to not treat him like a second grader on one of our dates before we got married. I was explaining how to use some equipment at my ranch.

To the OP, way to go. Stores should hire teachers to roam around the stores undercover to keep kids from misbehaving! My local grocery store needed that. I won't be buying anything from the help yourself bakery there. Need I say more. Ick.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

so sad when we have to play the parent, huh?
    Glad you still got it; makes me wanna go shopping to see if I still have it. :D

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2009

:thumb: Yes, watch out for the parents!

14. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 31, 2009

The teacher stare is so efficent. It takes a minute to get a really good teacher stare, but once you get it you can't turn it off!:p

15. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I also use the "glare", but often add the word 'hey' said in a stern voice, or even 'knock it off' and that usually does the trick. Luckily, only once a parent kind of looked at me and I just explained that teachers can never turn off being a teacher and they just laughed. Luckily!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

I'm still working on mine. I wish I could see pictures of your teacher glares! :lol:

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

The Teacher Glare is something I've always wanted. Unfortunately it has a prerequisite of vision. :lol:

However I do give off the teacher vibe, as I have had people ask me if I'm a teacher in non-educational settings. :)

18. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

I bet you have a face you make when things aren't going the right way. I am not sure if you work with sighted students or not, but I bet you have a look that helps!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I practiced mine several times while at Kohl's and JC Penney today. Everywhere I went today there were wild little boys running around. What shocked me were the weak "stop" commands given by the mothers. They must be ready to send them back to school.

20. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I have the 'raised eyebrow look' and my husband hates it too! I haven't been brave enough to use it in public though.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

I must admit I have used the teacher glare on the parents. But, I usually say something supportive to the parents, like, "having active children is hard."

22. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Oh yes I do have a face that tells students I'm not pleased. But I don't have the glare. :lol:

By the way, I do work with sighted students.

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

my hubby does this alot ("hey" and "knock it off") and he's not even a teacher!

24. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Ha! This is so true.

25. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 31, 2009

My nephew is one of those kids that runs the show and it drives me insane! I want to educate my sister. He doesn't like it when I'm around. I told my dad I just want 1 week with him and he'll be a totally different child!

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

I don't know why parents think we think their kid is cute when they act like that. UGH; another one of my pet peeves.

27. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Just consider it practice or even "in service" training! :lol:

28. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 1, 2009

When I was in Ft. Worth for my nephew's bday party, my dad and I were out in the driveway talking and we had my nephew with us. Well, my nephew saw the neighbors kid in their backyard and decided to walk down the driveway. My dad tried telling him to come back to Papa and to WAIT! Did my nephew listen? NOPE. Then the neighbors instead of telling my nephew to listen to his grandpa just keep talking to him and think it's funny. My nephew walked across the street and into their backyard. My sister was inside the house and after we told her she didn't do anything! My mom went and got him. Seriously, if i knew my kid walked across the street at 2 years I would go have a talk with the neighbors and him.

29. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

The fact that our teacher face works on children everywhere proves that kids usually know darn well when they're misbehaving but hey, if you don't stop them from running the show, why should they stop doing what they want? Our look just reminds them that we know they know better. Puts them in check.

30. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Did anybody see the episode of Home Improvement when they were talking about "the stare" that their wives give?

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I learned my glare from my DH! :lol:
    We crack up when we are arguing and we give the glare to each other....

32. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I use my teacher glare in stores all the time. Kids just look at me-as another poster said-I must have the teacher smell. They smile at me a lot too...like they know I'm a teacher, and they want to be on my good side.:p
    In response to the poster who said people ask her all the time if she works in the store she is in-I must be an elderly people magnet. I can be in the most crowded aisle in the grocery store,and the elderly person will walk right up to me and ask for help. My mom says is it because I have a face that looks approachable and patient-especially with elderly people.:rolleyes:

33. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

TOTALLY agree!!! BIL is expecting a baby and his new wife has made comments about my parenting/things I've said to my son that lead me to believe her kid will get WHATEVER it wants and have no consequences. I will NOT be babysitting!!!

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 1, 2009

Another reason I sometimes think kids get away with stuff in public is because parents are too afraid to do anything in front of other people in today's society. I remember running and swatting my kid on the hand one time when my oldest was a baby and someone almost came unglued on me. I turned around and told her I was protecting him from the thorns he was about to grab on a bush of roses and that was the closest and fastest way I could stop him. Today's parents have lost the ability to do much without getting advice from 10 thousand strangers and fearing to take the wrong tack. Sometimes that laugh you see with parents isn't that they think it is funny. It's because they are hiding their discomfort in knowing what to do in that moment in time.

For the poster that mentioned people approaching you in the store...I get that all the time too but at Walmarts. Part of it is because I tend to linger a lot in Walmart (seriously) and once I stopped and asked a person why they thought I worked there. He said I was scanning the aisles like I knew exactly where something was and what I was looking for. Hahaha, at the time I was looking for creative ideas for the classroom (ie, repurposing stuff).