Still can't get a job around here! Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PenCelia, Aug 23, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I moved back to this area last summer after living and teaching in VA for two years. The problem is that I still can't find a teaching job here. I did work a classroom position at the end of last year because teacher went on leave. I don't know what to do I can't afford to sub again this year. I really miss my own classroom. I don't know what to do. I have good references, my Med etc. I know I'm not assertive but I do take my resume packages to the school etc. I just don't want to be pushy. Plus I haven't really seen many elementary teaching jobs. People aren't posting them on the state website. Does anyone know of a mass website that tells what the openings are from mass? What to do? I really don't want to move again.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

At this point, unless they're legally obligated to do so, they're not going to post openings. I'm guessing that they'll go directly to their personnel files and see who has already applied.

Apply EVERYWHERE within a reasonable commute, then add on 10 minutes commute and apply to those schools as well. Hand delivered resumes will make you memorable-- always a good thing in a crowded job market. And don't forget private and religious schools: http://www.privateschoolsreport.com/county.html

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

PenCelia,
    I know the feeling. Right now, I can pay the bills. I do in-store demonstrations for a company called mass connections. They pay $85 for five hour events. Basically all I do is stand there and give out samples. You pick when you want to work and don't have an annoying boss. It's probably the least stressful job I've ever worked.

I do a lot of independent contract work that is non-stressful and flexible. PM if you want some more info. If subbing doesn't pay the bills, then don't. Do some volunteer work to stay active in the schools. I may or may not sub. I'm still debating that. Some teachers I have subbed for in the past have been calling me for requests.

I've become a big advocate of making sure to take care of you :) It's obvious from reading some of these posts that many, many of us are afraid of saying, "no more." If you feel that it won't help you, then don't do it.

5. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Aug 23, 2007

There are three places that jobs are posted in mass that I check all the time: www.massupt.org (Mass Superintendent Website) , schoolspring.com and the DOE website. Teaching Jobs EAN also posts some. Other than that the districts in this state are very good about posting open positions up on their website. The job market in Massachusetts for elementary teachers is critically tight, even in private schools, but I'm sure you know that already.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

I too am in the same boat that you are. I actually resigned from the last school I taught at because I was going to be having a baby during the first few weeks of school, we lost the baby, unfortunately. But as the summer hit, I was frantically searching for a job. I got two interviews, but they were looking for someone with more experience...I have taught two years!!

Good luck this year!!

I have decided to sub this year hoping that helps my case.:D

7. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Thank you all for your support. Even though my heart belongs in the classroom I'm thinking about a different carear. I can't wait to start my life. How long should I hang in there?

8. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I need a plan of attack. I need to feel like I'm being proactive with this search. Ughh I'm starting to panic. Has anyone ever gone to someone to help them get a job. I've been to my college carear center many times and it doesn't seem to help. A side note my older sister is a teacher and she is applying to grad school for her masters. I joked that I'm the only one of my siblings to have a masters and be out of a job. I asked her if she wanted to buy it from me. LOL

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

loooooooooooool. that's funny. i'll buy it from you!! try craigslist.org and monster.com. private & charter schools usually post there. i've been looking there EVERYDAY. i started a thread saying they should pay me, because i look everyday when i'm not here or checking my mail. or sleeping. but i'll eat and check it. oh and going to the bathroom. but it'll be on during tv. i'll shoo my niece to search as well. but i believe monster just gave me a start on my new path (elementary instead of hs). go them!! well wishes, and if you don't have to, don't give up. there are LOTS of last minute openings i'm seeing.