Still a Student Teacher and know I don't want to be in the classroom-HELP!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Neele, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

I am currently student teaching at the elementary level. I went back to school to get my Graduate Certificate in Education after 10 years in the Business field because I love to teach others. I've been observing or student teaching in elementary classrooms for over a year now and I know that I DO NOT want to teach in an elementary classroom. I student taught in 4th grade last semester, observed in 1st and 2nd grade for an entire year, and currently I'm in 5th grade, so I've had a wide variety of ages at multiple schools. I still want to teach, but student teaching at the elementary level (just being in an elementary school even) is barely tolerable and I'm only in my 4th week of this semester. Not only do I think I'm getting nothing out of it because I never plan to teach in an elementary school, but my heart is not in it. To make matters worse, my mentor is rather disrespectful towards me and my University Supervisor's response is 'just stick it out. You're almost done and your goal is to finish.'

Spending 12 hours a day on something you could care less about while the person you're sharing a room with treats you like crap is not my idea of fun and I really am wondering why I should stick it out. I know I want to teach in some form whether it be at the high school level (I've already taken and passed the Praxis for 2 secondary subjects I think would transfer if I got an elementary license - if anyone knows for sure, please let me know) or training in the corporate world, and the only reason I can justify sticking out the 12 more weeks of student teaching is so the last year of classes don't become just a waste of money and I'll have a teaching license.

Do I have any options besides just sticking it out? Can I have any type of career teaching if I have all the classes but not the license? I would be short by just one class- the internship. I'm not interested in social work or being a teacher's assistant. I left the business world because I was miserable and wanted to teach, but if I'm going to be miserable teaching too, I'd rather just go back into corporate world. I've been looking at education companies and at tutoring positions, but I don't know what else is out there beyond that or even many companies that specialize in education.

I really need some helpful advice. I've been sitting here crying all day.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2011

If you're truly interested in teaching high school, I'd stick it out and finish. Compared to a career for the rest of your life, a few more months is nothing. It will be MUCH easier and save you a lot of money transferring over to HS if you already have some sort of teaching license. Quitting now may also ruin your credibility for the future. Do you have any experience actually teaching in a high school classroom? How do you know that you won't feel the same way once you get to that type of job?

4. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

That's the problem. I don't know if I'll like high school better. Everyone has told me that high school is terrible and that job satisfaction is higher in elementary schools because the older the student gets, the more you have to deal with hormones and behavior issues. Plus, I would be certified to teach a subject that's only in like 1 in 5 schools (Marketing).
    That's why it's so hard to justify sticking it out when I'm so miserable right now. :(

5. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Sep 17, 2011

Can your university change your student teaching placement and put you in a middle school classroom instead? That way you could get the experience of teaching "one" subject (or multiple depending on the teacher's certification) and get somewhat the feel of the secondary environment.

6. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

I actually asked that last semester when they were preparing my placement and they said I couldn't because I'm getting licensed for K-6 so I have to have experience teaching all subjects and each subject has to be taught for 7 weeks minimum. They gave me 5th because it was the closest they could get me to the older grades.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

It depends on who you're talking to. I think that high school is NOT terrible. In fact, it's my opinion that teaching in an elementary school would actually be the terrible thing.

I wouldn't base your future career plans on what other people have to say. Go in and observe in some high school classes. See how you like it.

In the meantime, stick it out at your current placement. Do not quit.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 17, 2011

That's not necessarily true. After I got my licence, I subbed for a year, mostly at the junior/senior high level. One day, I got asked to sub in a Grade One classroom. It was the worst day EVER and it was clear to me that day that elementary was not the place for me.

Are there more behaviour problems? I don't think so. I think the behaviour problems are just different. I LOVE teaching high school. They get my jokes. You can rationalize with them in a way you can't with the little ones. There is way less of a babysitting aspect to my day. I can tease them (in a gentle and caring way) and they think it's funny. I tend to be a sarcastic person and I don't have to squash that part of me in a high school classroom (I know they say that you shouldn't use sarcasm, but again, it's done in a gentle and caring way and it's usually directed at me, anyway).

Don't be scared of high school. Stick it out.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 17, 2011

I would also stick it out. I don't think teaching high school is terrible either. You do need to spend some time in a high school to see if it is the place for you.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 17, 2011

I'm a little confused...you're student teaching and were initially preparing to be certified in K-6 to teach "marketing?" :confused:

If you're miserable either place, why not just stick it out and THEN decide on the lesser of two evils? It seems such a waste to go so far and give up in the eleventh hour. JMHO

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 17, 2011

I would stick it out and then add on to your certification to do what you want to do. I see nothing wrong with not liking one age/grade and wanting to teach another. I have no desire to teach high school and would probably choose another field if that was my only teaching option (and I know 95% of teachers feel that way about kindergarten - which I love). A few months of student teaching will be nothing compared to a career that you will love.

12. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

The problem still lies in the fact that I'll be licensed with Elementary Education trying to get a high school job teaching Marketing only on the merit that I passed the PRAXIS on the subject, and that subject in a HS is hard to find. Am I able to actually do that or am I going to eventually need to get a secondary license? How do I go in saying I have no experience teaching the subject but I'm licensed. I'm not trained to teach anyone that has reached puberty. If I have to continue taking classes to be fully licensed in secondary, I don't want to waste anymore of my time in elementary because I loathe just being inside that classroom and everything that goes along with being an elementary teacher.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2011

If you are willing to give up this easy when the going gets a little tough, maybe the teaching field isn't the right place for you?

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2011

First of all, I would definitely do something to get yourself some experience being in a high school classroom, even if it's simply going in and volunteering or shadowing a teacher. I assume that at one point you thought you wanted to be an elementary teacher, or you wouldn't be in your program. After that experience, I'd definitely want to make sure I was 100% positive that teaching was something I definitely wanted to do before spending money on more schooling towards it.

15. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

You can't get a Marketing license unless you're employed as a Marketing teacher. They're primarily lateral entry. I couldn't do secondary education because I needed the minimum amount of hours in a subject and I would have had to go back to school to get those since Business majors don't take that many elective general ed classes. It was get a job or elementary because they have no pre-reqs and no jobs were available.

16. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

I don't want to be in a classroom unless I can teach Business/Marketing. I want to teach that subject, not teach high school in general. As I said in my first post, I want to teach, but I'm looking for teaching opportunities that don't require me to have the license that student teaching will give me. I can take or leave teaching in a high school, I'd rather stab a fork in my eye than teach in an elementary school, but I want to be involved in educating people. I've been tutoring small group and one-on-one and I really like doing that but I don't know where to start looking for tutoring jobs you can make a career out of or if you need to be licensed to be marketable. I'm also looking at companies that specialize in education but I don't know that many companies beyond the publishers, Blackboard, and Smartboard. I'm really hoping to find out more about those options so I don't have to spend the next 3 months miserable if I don't have to.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is what you want:

Maybe or maybe not follow through with getting your elementary license
    Not get a secondary license
    Get a teaching job
    Teach only business/marketing classes
    Get a secondary license after getting a teaching job teaching business/marketing

In my state, CTE/vocational licenses are a little different from academic licenses, but you still need to carry a valid teaching license before entering the classroom for the first time. I think you need to put in some phone calls to your state department of education and find out exactly what you need to do in order to get what you want. Maybe they can straighten everything out for you.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2011

Many states offer a business/marketing license; your state department of education Web site should clarify, Neele, whether yours does - but I can with some confidence state that, unless you plan not to teach in a public school, any state will require you to get a teaching license in order to teach business/marketing.

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2011

Have you considered teaching at the community college level? That's where you'd be more likely to get a job teaching JUST marketing. Can you call and find out if they require a teaching degree?

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2011

Personally I have been here. I knew I didn't want to do the job I signed up and went to college for. I too figured it out at the 11th hour. I still finished it. Not only did that give me potential options just in case I needed them, but mostly it told employers that I finished what I started. My next employer actually commented on it when he found out why I was looking for a job in another field. Just a thought...

21. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

Maybe or maybe not follow through with getting your elementary license -yes
    Not get a secondary license -no. If I get the elementary license I think I'll already have the secondary license via passing the PRAXIS (that's what I was asking). If I didn't get the license, I would pursue the other options I'm leaning towards that I was discussing such as tutoring, training, etc. *That's the real focus of my question. Whether or not jobs like tutoring can be viable careers and how to find them* I don't know how everyone got the idea that I created this thread to ask if I should teach high school. Even the subject said I don't want to be in the classroom, but might be interested in it if I could do Marketing/Business. That is the reason I'm pursuing the license and I'm asking if it's worth it to waste another 3 months being miserable for something I 'might' want to do and isn't actually explicitly related to what I'm student teaching for therefore might not even be valid in the long run anyways.
    Get a teaching job - maybe, only if I could -> Teach only business/marketing classes - yes. Teach CTE Marketing Education/Business Education
    Get a secondary license after getting a teaching job teaching business/marketing. - No. That would be the secondary license. If I didn't have a license, I would be lateral entry and work while obtaining my license.

Basically if I had to rank the jobs it would be
    1. Training
    2. Tutor
    3.Find a complete new job where I can use my background and education
    4. Go back to my old career
    5. Classroom

The DPI just requires I be eligible for a license with a CTE. I talked to them before I enrolled in my grad program. I chose to enter the Elementary program because I thought that license would make me more marketable than just 'being eligible'.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

Different states have different requirements, but in my state having an elementary license does NOT grant you a secondary license. You are not allowed to enter a secondary classroom without a valid secondary license, which can only be achieved through a combination of coursework and exams (not through exams alone). Your state department of education will be able to tell you whether your state is one that allows licensing by exam alone.

Frankly, if you're putting "classroom" at the bottom of your list, I think you need to stop even worrying about getting licensed or not. Teaching in a classroom is a big commitment that requires a lot of heart, and it's not for people who have four other preferred careers ranked above it.

There is a market for private tutors, but in my experience there isn't much money there. I think your best bet might be to try to land a job as a corporate trainer.

23. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

Thank you, which brings me to the next question. Can you get a reputable tutoring job without a license?

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

Yes. I'd even venture to say that most people employed by tutoring services are NOT licensed teachers. That's based on my experience and might be different in other locations.

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2011

Stick it out and finish so you have a completed program of study to put on your resume. And, get letters of recommendation from your all of your supervisors, if possible. Look at this as a short career in education and then move on. When you're done, interview for jobs in related fields. You may, one day, want to go back to education, so leave your options open by finishing.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2011

This was my point. It's tough to stick it out but it looks better if you do, even if you don't specifically use it. If you were only half way through, my advice would be different.

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 18, 2011

What is it that you hate so much about teaching in an elementary?

28. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

What state are you attempting to become certified in? Have you asked your supervisor if you could just observe in a high school classroom? You mentioned that you've passed multiple Praxis II tests at the secondary level, but then later only mentioned Marketing. What are the other subjects you've passed Praxis tests in?

Certain states offer the opportunity to gain content areas on a teaching license using as long as one has passed Praxis II tests in those content areas. If your state allows this, then I would complete the elementary education program. The only way I would allow myself to quit is if I observed at the high school AND middle school level, and I knew that it wouldn't be right for me. You can't take other people's word for it that the secondary level isn't enjoyable. I've taught at the elementary, middle, and high school level and I love all three.

If your university won't allow this, would you consider signing up to substitute teach in your local school district at the high school or middle school level? Substitute teaching would definitely give you a taste of teaching at those levels.

Don't give up yet! Chances are, you'll find something you love to teach. After all, you said you love to teach and that's what motivated you to leave the corporate world. I think you've got a little bit of research and soul searching ahead of you. Good luck!

29. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

I worked in marketing for many years at a major corporation. Our corporate trainers were not licensed teachers, but employees trained by the company to teach and travel to locations across the US, Canada, and Germany. Do you have a business degree? I had lunch yesterday with a corporate trainer from Lexia. He travels to teach teachers about the software his company provides, and he does have a teaching license. Tutoring is not a very well paying job in my area. You were in the corporate world..did they have trainers??? What motivated you to leave and become a certified teacher? If you don't want to teach in the corporate field or the traditional education field what type of enviroment do you want to teach marketing in? Good luck and I say stick it out too.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

First I think you need to get out of your elementary placement and seek a high school business ed placement...you need to make sure that's really where your heart is and the HS placement would build your resume for what you think you really want to do.

31. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

My venture into teaching high school kids started with being the volunteer drill team "mom" as well as costume lady. The dt sponsor dealt with teen girls and got excellent results. So I knew I wanted to work with teens -- who probably aren't much different from elementary students, I'm guessing.
    There are several fields you might consider that are related to the education field, but they require further degrees: diagnositician, special education counselor are two that I can think of. In both cases, you would be working with teens, but one-on-one.
    All-in-all, from my experience, there is very little encouragement from higer level personel out there, no matter which career choice one makes. Personal fulfillment needs to come from within, so choose your field based on at least one thing about the career/job that would bring you feelings of accomplishment. Good luck!

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

I might disagree with this a little bit. In some ways, all kids are kids, whether they are teenagers or the little ones. In other ways, though, teenagers are very different from the little ones. Maturity levels, comprehension, self-awareness, independence...these things all increase with age.

Besides that, the teaching environments of elementary and high school are pretty different, just in terms of day-to-day activities and logistics. There are certain challenges with spending all day every day with the same kids in elementary school, just as there are different challenges with high school teachers having 6 times as many kids for 20% of the time.

33. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Not liking the classroom environment

I forgot to add that I agree with the poster who asked what it is that you hate about the elementary classroom environment? If you can tackle that one, and maybe even post it here, then others can be of more help to you in deciding what you LIKE about teaching others.
    My first career was in the medical field (4 year Bachelor's) and I ended up being a clinical instructor. By nature (maybe like you) I love to teach. Going from a hospital lab to a corporate sales job, which was highly technical and involved teaching finance to hospital administrators (haha), still, the motivating factor, for me, was the imparting of information. The sales quotas and pressure that went with it wasn't my thing -- so it wasn't for money, although the money was good at the time for a woman, I suppose.
    The classroom you would end up in would be YOURS! To face the challenge your own way and as we all hope for our students, the BEST way. I like that part and I feel that I am meant to be with my high school math learners. I wouldn't exchange them for ANY others! (SPED math) Hope this helps!

34. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

caesar753: thanks for setting the record straight. I knew the minute I wrote that, that I was being way too simplistic! Besides, I haven't ever taught in an elementary setting. Hate to mention this, but I don't think I would like dealing with a younger group. However, any student is a learner, so of course, I would cherish them and teach the younger ones the best I could!

35. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 18, 2011

I have an elementary credential, but I'm teaching science at the high school level. I started at the middle school level, where about half the teachers have the elementary credential, and I added a supplemental authorization in science. After a few years, I ended up with a job at the high school, which I like much better! There are actually fewer discipline problems at the high school, and there are real consequences for the students if they fail a class. (Some of them still don't care about the consequences, but at least all of the responsibility isn't on the teacher when the students are old enough that we can't force them to do their work.)

36. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Yes, I was a business major, and, yes we had trainers for new products as well as new hires. We also had people that would go to a site to train new clients after the sale had been made. I was doing the sales part. Loved the educating the customer, hated trying to sell to them. I would love to do that, but don't know how to break in and what kind of background I should get to be competitive.

In regards to what I don't like about elementary is: pretty much everything. I don't like having the parents breathing down my neck, or having to keep in constant contact with them. I don't like how chatty the kids are and the only way to discipline them is to make them walk at recess. I don't like recess. I don't like having to teach every subject and make 30 lesson plans a week. I don't like how I have to clean up after them, how half the kids need to have their hands held just to get a pencil sharpened, how disorganized they are and how they aren't held to any level of responsibility. Don't even get me started on all the bureaucracy and politics of it. Plus I just can't get into the mind of someone that age. I can't even try to think like them and that affects my lessons. The more time I spend typing, the more I realize I just don't want to teach children of any age period.

37. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

You most likely have the education and background to break into corporate training.(Bachelor's in Business) I hated the sales part in marketing, churn, quota's etc. Several of my college professors were corporate trainers for a company. Google Corporate Trainers, and I honestly think having a teaching certificate will help you stand out as a candidate for corporate training. There are many companies out there selling their products to education. Especially now that the mantra is "Research Based."

38. Neele

Neele Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

Thanks for the advice! I withdrew today after I broke down crying in the middle of the lesson.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2011

Good luck with your next endeavor.

I have said this before...many universities that are training future teachers need to get these men and women into the classroom from freshman year on. Not just to observe for a few hours, but to actually participate. Future teachers need to know what the teaching experience is all about from the get go. We continually read stories about people quitting the teaching field during student teaching, or the early teaching years, (after they have spent thousands of dollars and many years) because they didn't know what the job entailed.

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2011

My university did this when I went through. We had to take a human development class our first year. With that class we had to go & observe. Every methods class we took had us out in the field, by the end of each placement we were expected to teach a unit in whatever. For each methods class we had 2 placements: 1 upper elementary & 1 lower elementary.

I remember going to one of my methods placements, at the same placement was another student from a different university. She was suppose to be starting her student teaching & she was hating it. I am so thankful that I had the experiences that I had before I every student taught.

41. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 19, 2011

If you're not interested in a school environment, well, you're not interested. This forum may not be the best place to address your disinterest, since so many people have made it their own field and have a certain amount of emotion involved. I've noticed that sometimes people take situations like yours personally and go on the attack rather than try to help.

If you want to get into the corporate training arena, you don't need a teaching license. Your teaching background might help you get to the top of the applicant heap if you put it on a resume, though. Corporate types will completely understand if you tell them you thought you wanted to teach, but once you were sourrounded by children, you decided it wasn't for you. Believe me, they'll get it.

When I worked in Human Resources, I did some corporate training, but not too much. Larger companies have actual training departments where it's people's job to train employees on new software, new policies, customer service...all kids of things. A friend of mine is in corporate training and she's very involved with the ATSD (American Society for Training and Development). Google them and check out their website. It might help you get started. Often the way in is to find a lower level trainer job and move from there.

Or, sometimes Human Resources takes care of the training needed in smaller organizations. SHRM is the Society for Human Resources Management. That also might be a direction to go.

Good luck!