Sticky Situation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, May 6, 2013.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

May 6, 2013

I have been teaching in my current district for 2 years, and I just got hired for a position at another campus in my district for next year. The neighboring district that I grew up in just posted some jobs and a couple are at my dream school (where I went as a student and student taught). Would I completely burn myself if I applied and took another job in the other district? Since I transferred within the district, it was made official last month. I don't want to burn too many bridges, but it is my ideal school, and it hardly ever has openings (people stay until they retire).

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 6, 2013

If you have already signed a contract and it's an official thing, I wouldn't go for the other position in the other district.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

Don't you have to sign paperwork completing the transfer? In my district you do. Once you accept the new transfer position, you aren't allowed to continue applying for any other job within the district for a certain period of time.

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

May 6, 2013

I signed my renewal back in March, long before I even knew about the new position for next year. We sign our contracts early and can legally resign without penalty up until 45 days before school starts the following year. When I say that it was made official, I got an email from HR asking if I wanted the transfer...

I have transferred within my current district, but the job I want is in a neighboring district, so there aren't hard and fast rules.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

Oh, I misread your original post. I thought that the new position you were interested in was also in your current district.

Since it's in another district, I say go for it. See what happens.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2013

You have until 45 days before school starts. I would apply and see what happens.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 7, 2013

Apply! I don't think of transferring within the district the same as getting a new job and signing a binding contract.

9. TXowl

TXowl Companion

May 7, 2013

Thanks, everyone! I figured that this is different. I emailed my cooperating teacher and the principal today :) Fingers crossed!!!