Sticky Notes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2006

I am wondering... how do you teach students in reading about using sticky notes?

My weakness! I am not good at this mini-lesson at all! No, no!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2006

We used sticky notes several ways:
    - use a sticky to mark 3 sections that you would like to share with a partner
    - parts of speech--use sticky to write down examples of: nouns, verbs, compound words, adjectives, etc
    - record and mark one section where you made a connection to your life
    - write a question about something you read
    - mark the most interesting sentence in the section your read today

4. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 22, 2006

I have a bookmark on which I stick a stack of Post-its for each child. On the bookmark is a coding system that they use on the post-its so they can mark their thoughts and continue reading. For example, they put a V on the post-it if they have found an interesting word. They put a smiley face if what they have read reminds them of something. They put a ? if there's something they don't understand and want to discuss with the class, etc... It has worked really well. Also. I have large post-its, I cut them on the paper cutter into 3 smaller pads, they don't need a lot of room to write!! Hope this helps!

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

With older kids I let them write a question about a short story, stick it on the page, and pass it to another student that must answer that question.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2006

YES, it does. Thank you. Actually, all of you have helped me! I may use the idea from Mrs. C as well about three important things to write out. Over time, I'll get better at implementing these! We're growing! :) The class will do an incredible job.