Steps to take after accepting an offer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Jun 16, 2016.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 16, 2016

(This is my first real teaching job other than subbing so I have a lot of questions!)
    I just accepted a job offer on Tuesday and I got my new hire paperwork yesterday which is mostly filled out, I just need to call HR and clarify a few things. But should I be in touch with the principal? I kinda thought I'd hear from her after accepting the position but now I'm wondering if I should email her. I know it's summer break and I don't want to bother her while she's technically off duty, and honestly I'm not even sure what I would say/ask.

I mostly know the position (though the HR person that called with the offer wasn't 100% sure on the grade; I know it's definitely primary, most likely 1st grade) and the info on when to report comes at the end of July once all my paperwork is in, along with my official contract.

But I also want to make a good impression, and I'm not sure that NOT reaching out is going to do that. Is there anything I definitely NEED to say to the principal after accepting a job offer?

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 16, 2016

First of all, congratulations!! :)

You could reach out and let her know once your paperwork is clear with HR to let her know, reiterate your excitement about the position and working there, etc. I would also ask for clarification about your grade level, if she has contact information for your grade level team and ask if there is any PD or training she'd like for you to take.

4. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 16, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 16, 2016

I had to accept the offer through HR, so it was over the phone. I haven't heard anything from the P since my interview...

I'll work on an email to let her know I'm excited to work there and ask for any information she wants me to have. Hopefully she contacts me first since I have no clue what I'm doing! :laughing:

6. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

I would definitely reach out to her! I would reiterate your excitement and ask when would be a good time to stop by to get a tour of the school, see your classroom, etc. Since you're new, you will have a lot of prep work to do, so I would get a jump start! Also, I'm not sure where you're located, but here, the teachers get a chip to scan to get into the school as well as the key to our classrooms prior to the new year, so we can come and go during the summer working on our room. Definitely something to check on! Congratulations! Peace and good teaching!

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

Congrats on the offer! I think there is good advice here about just reaffirming your interest and letting them know how excited you are to take the next step in your career!

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 16, 2016

Well, I just realized I don't have her email address and can't access it on the district site.
    I'm almost done with my paperwork so I guess I'll just get it done as fast as I can and hope she contacts me. :/ Bummer.

9. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 16, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  10. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jun 19, 2016

Congratulations!!!!!!
    I can't remember if I reached out after I accepted my job offer. Does the school have a website? They usually have the e-mail addresses on there!

Did you get a job in the district you were looking at!!???

11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 19, 2016

They have a site but I have to have a staff login to see emails.

It's in the district I student taught in! So not the one I was applying in after I graduated (I think that's the one we talked about?) but it'll still be decently close. Plus it's the student demographic I want to work with. :)