Step Up Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Jun 7, 2010.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jun 7, 2010

Our school is doing a step-up day where we meet kids that will be in our class the following academic year. (For example, I teach 4th so the 3rd grade kids will come to me.) After transitions, we will only have about 20-25 minutes together. At first I was thinking of just doing a community circle/question & answer session because it's so short so that we could get to know one another. Then I remembered seeing a teacher at another school who had her "step-up" kids do an assignment at the end of the year. Then she used this assignment for her bulletin board display at the beginning of the new school year. On the first day, she was already able to display her student's work. I thought that was a fantastic idea and I hate making bulletin boards at the beginning of the year, so it would save me for next year. NOW...any ideas of on an art/writing activity that a bunch of 3rd graders, who I have never met before, can accomplish in about 20 minutes and have still look nice enough to hang up???

3. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 7, 2010

I have them write a letter to themselves as a 4th grader. (What they expect, what they're nervous/excited about, what they hope to learn, etc.) Then, I hand all the letters out on the first day of school.

I also have my fourth graders write letters of advice to them, I give them those also. They love getting these!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2010

I do a simple activity where they complete the sentence: "In 3rd grade I am hoping to ____." I let them decorate the border and I take a photo of each of them to put in the center. Instant bulletin board.

Good luck with your move-up day!

5. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 8, 2010

They could also write you a letter and express their feelings about the transition- Dear Ms...In 3rd grade I hope to..

How about having them fill out a survey on likes/dislikes, faves, etc.? This might allow for planning, setting up classroom, etc.

I think it's great you get to do this! I tried to make it happen at our school- but only a handful of teachers were on board. How did it get started at your school?

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 8, 2010

Kind of off topic, but do you already have your class list for next year? Or, do you just talk to all of the rising students? Just curious! :)

7. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Actually, it was my idea to do the step up day. We've done them at my previous school and I asked the principal. He said yes, if I planned it. I really want to do it; I just can't decide how to best use my time now. I have lots of ideas so I want to make the best of those short 20 minutes together.

I meet the kids that will come to my class. Our school is unique in that we have a few different types of programs so kids go through the grades with the same group of kids for K-5. So, in essence, there is only one group of 3rd graders in my program and I will have them all next year, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your ideas. I'm just worried about time for some of them.

8. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

p.s. If you want to get one started at your school, I would alleviate teacher's fears by just doing it for a very short time, not all day! :) Anyone can do anything if it's less than 30 minutes, right? All the teachers here were on board, though a few were hesitant. I think it helps to have a list of ideas for them.