Step Into Ms. Jasztal's Fourth Grade Classroom! [PICTURES!!]

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2006

Here are all the photos for my fourth grade classroom for the 2006-2007 school year. I had a FUN time taking them after Open House. Sorry about the slight mess of binders and folders on tables. [Ummm, ok, you may not have even realized there were any stray folders or binders... there's like... 2 or 3.] I also changed how one group is seated this year in the back because it was cluttered. However, everything else is remaining the same for the first day... which is Thursday!

By the way, the class seems wonderful! :) I really like the students and their families so far.

http://www.teachingvision.org/features/20062007/photos/

3. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Your room looks really great! It looks so organized. Maybe one day mine will be like that. :rolleyes:

I love the construction sign poster! How cool is that?? :) What do the students do in the "private area" in your room?

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2006

In the private area, the students may do writing prompts, tests, or any assignment in general. One student also goes over there for the FCAT standardized testing... I alternate by how many days we test, and they love that area because they get to look outside and see the sun, which is comforting to some students. It's also an area to calm down. I point out all the positives of this center and let them know it's a really nice place to relax.

5. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I haven't ever seen anything like that. That's a really good idea. I had some kids with really bad test anxiety last year (3rd grade!) so an area like that would probably benefit those kids a lot.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2006

I may make a sign for that one center like the "Sunshine Area" or something like that. :)

7. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

first of all...your page is WONDERFUL
    it is laid out sooo nicely, and i loved the music (and that the page stayed open and continued to play music while i looked at the pictures!)
    thank you for posting, you gave me so many wonderful ideas!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2006

Thank you! The layout is contributed to HTML and absolute positioning... it's a long story. :)

What kind of ideas are you needing? Which grade(s) do you provide special ed. services?

9. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 9, 2006

3rd and 4th grade, md.
    im really just looking for general classroom ideas. i love your wordwall, and especially the private area...sometimes i feel like everyone needs to escape for a minute!

im going in to see my classroom tomorrow...i saw it breifly but didnt know it was going to be mine on a school tour...so now i need to get a better look (im bring my digital camera!) and see what i can modify to work! plus, i need to see what was left by the teacher (who is moving upstairs to teach the upper grades) what i need to get...all that kind of stuff.

i bookmarked your page though and will be refering back to it quite frequently!

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

What a great site! I especially loved the road sign. I went to that page and made my own sign to hang in the window at open house. I love it!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Your site is so inspiring. Your room is wonderful!!! I'm going to come back when I have lots of time to look around.

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2006

this is truly gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

You are so inspiring... When I get a job. Guess who I'm calling... ??

13. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 9, 2006

What a great site!! You have done a wonderful job and deserve a pat on the back!! I, too, loved the construction sign and also visited the site to make on of my own. I just haven't decided what I want it to say yet!! Thanks for sharing!!

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2006

I have worked so hard on the room... and school's tomorrow! The room is really nice... I hope the kids appreciate it!! I lost one and gained two today... so I am so extremely stressed. I have received probably four different rosters this week, and I am holding back tears. We are receiving kids from three new subdivisions. Overall, there are 21 students, but I don't want any more kids switched out of my class because of this inflation in student enrollment.

15. akatiegirl

akatiegirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I love that dry erase word wall...what did you use for the dry erase boards? That's such a great idea! We have to put up a word wall in our rooms, and I would love to "borrow" that idea...if you wouldn't mind, of course!;-) Thanks!

-KatieGirl

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2006

It is a type of shower board from Lowe's. I don't mind if anyone uses the idea. :) It's going to be neat.

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 9, 2006

Wonderful site! I'm loving the layout! What program did you use?

Okay...a few questions about some of the items in your photos... I really like your postcard door...what is the story behind it? Do students contribute postcards? Are they around a certain theme?

How did you do that road sign?! I love it!!!:) Did you do that on the computer? Please share!!! TIA!:)

I can tell you really worked on your room! It looks great!

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2006

As always, I am very impressed with your site! What an inspiration! I wish I could get mine to look like yours! Lots of hard work paid off!

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

MandaNicole, if you look in the corner of the road sign picture, there is a website address. Go to that website and you can make your own sign. (I did this as soon as I viewed her site!)

20. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Can you tell me how you put the music on your page? I'd love to try adding music to mine.

21. akatiegirl

akatiegirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Ooh...okay, I definitely went out and got some of that cut. Sounds like I may need some more;-). How did you attach it to your wall?

-KatieGirl

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2006

Okay... questions abound!

Attaching shower board to the bulletin board: I used velcro, and it stuck.

Music- If you go to http://www.lissaexplains.com , she has a tutorial on music. Or you can view my HTML and see it in code.

What I used to build the site- Straight HTML. I basically keep a template in code and edit from there. It takes a long time to get used to, but there are no limitations at all in how you can design. As for the actual design, I drew with Adobe Photoshop.

Thank you for all the compliments! I hope I am helping your classroom, too. :) Good luck this year! I start tomorrow!

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2006

Oh, and for those who desire the dry-erase word wall, the only thing is that the board takes approximately 20 minutes to cut. The sheet is very large. Normally they don't cut the boards on the large cutting machine. 6x8 is the size I went for. It depends on how much room you have and the size of your students' handwriting. I don't want them to write that large in fourth grade. I really think it'll be great for this year, though my students and I didn't start anything with it yet. Probably this coming week.

24. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

wow- such an impressive sight! I haven't gotten past the rules yet (which I love and am so totally stealing!). Do you read these to the students the first day? I'm afraid if I went over them all it'd be overwhelming for my 3rd grade class. I'm a first year teacher by the way...

Also- I don't know if I'll have the time but would love to take a crack at creating a website that looks as snazzy as yours. I've never even tried to- what are the requirements and what's the first step?
    thanks

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2006

Well, I use HTML coding and have been for a number of years (since around 2001). I opened this specific website in 2005. Before you use HTML, you can use a website that lets you type text into a database... and then the page is arranged for you. I did this kind of website for a long time, three years or so until I learned HTML.

Oh! Do you mean the rules I have posted in my classroom? They work pretty well, if that's what you're referring to. :) Or if you're talking about something else... I'd just like to know what you're referring to if you want to work with them.

Thank you for checking everything out! If you have any questions, please ask!

The kids are enjoying the room (I think)!

26. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Ms. Jasztal,

Regarding your detailed procedures- I'm curious how you undertake that w/the kids. Do you heap it all on them the first day or send a form home to be signed? I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do that first day w/my (first!) 3rd grade class.