Step 1. Apply for Job, Step 2....?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by willow129, Jul 31, 2013.

1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

Hi guys! I applied to this job that I was interested in (I have a job already, which I had a thread about earlier but anywho) and I got an email saying they received my application and such, typical email. I mean, I would be fine staying where I am, really, but the other job is an area that my boyfriend and I would really like to move to.

I'm just wondering, since I never quite mastered this last time I was applying to jobs, as in I applied to 30 places and got two unfruitful interviews **sigh** - and the job I have now I got by being a sub in a building where the music teacher retired (I'm a music teacher) and I pretty much had the job before I even interviewed - what is the next step, after actually sending in an application, in applying to a job you're interested in? Should I call them? Should I email them? What do I say? Is that annoying? Should I let them be?

:) Thanks
    Willow

3. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I've always just let it be. However, this last round I emailed the Ps letting them know the status of my license. Since I just graduated it's in process, but I called my school and they are mailing it to me this week.

For me, this whole process has been a giant waiting game. Did the email you receive give you any sort of time frame as to when they were looking to interview/hire someone?

Best wishes you get a call from them!!:)

4. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Definitely call.

When it comes to being annoying, you can call as many times as it takes to speak to the principal, just as long as you're not leaving a message each time. Automated phone systems are great for this. Leave one message then keep trying to actually speak with the principal.

If this doesn't work, a follow-up email is good, but this is less effective.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

I fall somewhere in the middle. I have called as a follow-up but I do not keep calling over and over. I think that can get a little annoying. If they aren't going to return my call, then they probably aren't going to hire me.

6. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 2, 2013

It's all about getting the interviewer to think, "oh yes, that teacher. The interview went well, but I've been so busy..."

These administrators are so busy, and yet to be hired teachers are one of the last things on their minds. It's your job to change that. Sometimes one interview isn't enough.

Definitely don't be annoying. But do try to get their mind spinning in the direction I mentioned.

7. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Thank you! I appreciate the advice! What are some of the things you might say in a call to a principal? Telling them you're really interested in the job, ask them a couple clarifying questions about the job/school, tell them they can call you anytime if they have any questions about you?

That's sort of the format I was thinking for my phone call - what do you guys think?