Steck-Vaughn Spelling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by rchlkay, Aug 15, 2007.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Anyone familiar with this program? I've flipped through my teacher's guides and I think I like the consistency of the lessons. Each week follows the same format which will be good for a lot of my students. I'll be using this with my K-6th graders (different levels.) What are good supplemental ideas to use with this program? Positives, negatives? I don't have a choice whether to use it or not, it was just given to me and I was told to use it by the principal.

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 15, 2007

I used Steck-Vaughn spelling for 25 years, in grades 6, 7, and 8, and I consider it one of the best. It's supposed to come with supplementary worksheets: a comprehension page and a puzzle of some kind. (lots of different puzzles; I used those for contests.)

Actually, I wasn't aware that S/V was still publishing their spelling curriculum. I'm glad to find out otherwise. Have fun with it!

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I have a few guides that appear to be the "old" ones. I also have several guides that appear to be new (within the last five years would be my guess.) I don't have them here to check for sure. I haven't seen any puzzles and I'm not sure what else is available. Hopefully this will work for me this year. I used this program last year with three of my fourth grade students, all of whom were at different levels. What I liked about it was that even though they were at different levels, the activities were basically the same on each day. However, I only used this because it was what was left to me and the kids were familiar with it. I'm wondering if it will be satisfactory for using each year, just bumping my kids up levels when they are ready. What other spelling programs are good for using in sped?

5. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

We use Steck-Vaughn at my school and for the most part, I really like it. I love that different grades' books match up, so both my 2nd graders and my 3rd graders have a fill-in-the-blank story on Tuesdays, etc. We don't have anything but the student workbooks, so I don't know anything about supplemental activities; I make my own word searches and crosswords (at puzzlemaker.discovery.com) using the spelling words for the week. Overall I think it's a great program and gives the kids a lot of different activities to do with their spelling words--it goes far beyond spelling. I get annoyed when it classifies words in a way I don't pronounce them though. ;) For example--I know it's just a regional variance, but I don't pronounce "won" and "one" the same, and it bugs me to tell the kids to write "won" on their list of short u words. That sort of thing has only happened once or twice, though, so I can live with it.

6. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Aug 15, 2007

3littlemonkeyes--Good to know that people like this program. I, too, made up word search puzzles and coloring sheets with spelling words for two of my students last year (I was lucky if I got the third child to finish the first four pages of the week, never even considered the challenge words and punctuation page. I have to say that I've never had a problem with the different pronunciations; I guess living in the Midwest has it's benefits! Do you ever wish that your spelling words were connected to the reading lessons? That's another concern of mine.

7. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I would love it if we had an entire language arts package that was all from one company. We currently do Scott Foresman reading, Steck-Vaughn spelling, and Silver Burdett Ginn language. There are all kinds of supplemental books that came with the reading program that we don't use--grammar, spelling, etc. It'd be really convenient if it all tied together. I could have so much fun with our reading vocabulary if those were spelling words, too...but I use what's there, since I have to, lol.

8. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Just curious... how DO you pronounce one and won if they're not the same and where are you from?

9. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

LOL. I was born and raised here in southern California. I pronounce "won" like the name "Juan"...with a short o vowel sound. I guess it would rhyme with "pawn" if you don't have too much of a "awww" in "pawn." The word "one" has a short u sound. "wun." Two *very* different pronunciations, lol. And that darn spelling book has me listing a short o as a short u! (shakes fist!)

10. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

LOL! I guess it is a regional thing!