Stealing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jen12, May 13, 2014.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 13, 2014

Anyone have kids stealing things from the classroom? The parents are aware, but the behavior continues.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 13, 2014

Yes - last year I had a little kleptomaniac. He stole everything that wasn't nailed down and would look me right in the eye and deny it. The best plan was to be super proactive - he was NEVER unsupervised. I had to constantly have an eye on him and regularly went through his things. The parents response will have a huge impact - the parents in this case did little to help resolve the issue. Having the kids replace the stolen items is usually meaningful and memorable for them. Get a counselor or psychologist involved if necessary - there is something larger going on for a child to behave that way.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 13, 2014

Yes, I have a student who will steal and lie about it to my face. When she gets caught, there's no remorse or embarrassment evident. Parents do nothing in my case. It's one of her many, many issues.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 13, 2014

It was the parent who brought it to my attention. Twice she found stuff that didn't belong to him in his backpack. Then he stole another student's homework and tried to pass it off as his own. Today I caught him with his hands in my desk drawer helping himself.

All I need is another student I have to watch all day long. This class this year...ugh...it's almost summer. It's almost summer. It's almost summer....

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 14, 2014

Unfortunately he is getting something out of the behavior. The key to resolving the issue is to meet that need another way. It's a messy problem and you may not solve it before summer. Maybe buddy him up with another trustworthy student and that student can help 'monitor' him - at least he will never be alone that way! What are the consequences when he gets caught?

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 14, 2014

One thing I do is write my name on things and encourage my students to do the same with their own things. I know it's not possible with everything, but every book, bucket, folder, etc. in my room has a big, bold "PROPERTY OF MRS. JERSEYGIRL" on it. I figure that will at least make some responsible parents think twice if something of mine ends up at home.

8. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 14, 2014

I had a 6th grader who would steal stuff in every single class last year and, despite endless meetings/referrals to psychologists/disciplinary measures, etc. nothing ever happened to change the behavior. Parents seems supportive but were so caught up in their own drama (homelessness, losing jobs, getting a divorce, etc.) that they never addressed it fully. He was probably just doing it for the attention. He still takes people stuff to mess with them this year, but doesn't pretend like it is his anymore and try to leave the room with it (to my knowledge).

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 14, 2014

I had a kinder that stole stuff all the time. Custodial grandma knew all about it and would bring me the stuff back. We would punish but it did no good. Child had many issues. Was a crack baby. We let a lot of stuff slide. The maracas in the underwear we just couldn't. She could have really hurt herself with the pointy part.

10. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

May 23, 2014

I've had the issue in two different grade levels. Calling parents, behavior slips, counseling were all used. The counselors came to my classromm and emptied the child's bookbag and made sure everything in it was prperty of that child.

From that point on the child had to keep her belongings (bookbag, rest mat, and any other personal items) in a clear plastic garbage bag far away from the cubby area. She was not permitted to go anywhere near the cubies. The counselor sent an email to the school staff explaining the issue and what to watch out for.

11. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

May 23, 2014

I have 2 kids that will steal the shoe laces off of your feet. At this point in the year my solution was to put all of the things I cared about in a locked drawer, and I advised my students to keep all of their treasured items at home or in their pockets.

12. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 23, 2014

I had a thief this year. He would steal from the treat box that was on my desk. Everyday he would take a pencil,eraser, or small toy. There was nothing I could do to change the bahvior. Eventually I just locked up all the tempting treasures.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 26, 2014

Yes, I've had a lot of instances of stealing. In one case, the child had some pretty severe psychological problems and the mother couldn't control the stealing no matter what she did. (The kid did it in public too) But she was supportive and returned whatever she found at home that belonged to the classroom. Another case where a child was caught red handed his parents defended him as if he hadn't done anything wrong....

As other posters have said I put my name on everything, tell kids not to bring important items to school and keep a very close close eye on kids who have been caught stealing before.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 26, 2014

There's this kid who really gets under my skin because he steals CONSTANTLY and his mom pretends to care, but I believe she's so wrapped up in her new boyfriend that she doesn't give him attention, which is why he keeps doing it. Even though he gets plenty of attention from his grandparents (who Mom lives with) they dote on and spoil him, whereas Mom ignores him, so I can see how he'd act out.

He comes to me for math and he takes little things (paper clips, a post-it I've stuck to my filing cabinet to remind me to collect picture money, scraps of paper, binder clips, pieces of broken crayons, etc). He occasionally steals from other children, but again, I think he craves that adult attention, so he prefers to take things from around my classroom. He also likes to find random things to play with when we're doing whole group on the carpet.

One day I tried ignoring him just to see what he'd do with the stubby pencil he found and brought to the carpet and, sure enough, when I didn't say anything, he starts touching the tip to another kids arm, who then protested and forced me to deal with the issue.

I had another girl who stole an expensive science kit from my classroom. She was a foster child and about to be adopted by a very nice lady and I think the previous trauma she experienced with other families and wanting to have things around her to feel "safe" is why she wouldn't stop doing it.