Staying up until 3 o'clock in the morning!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2014

Since being done with Summer School:haha:this was my first week of my vacation, i have not been able to go to bed until 2 or lately, 3o'clock in the morning (its 1:15am right now) and I am no where near ready for bed:huh::huh::huh:

Now the worst part is, my eyes open at 6:30 in the morning STILL as if I am going to work! I have had to take naps in the late morning (usually around 10:30 or 11:00) because I start to fall asleep on the couch when I am watching tv, using the laptop, etc.

And sometimes these naps go for 2 hours..and the last 2 days I took another later in the day..not purposely, just fell asleep after dinner, after I folded some clothes..like today..i even went for a walk so not to fall asleep and I came inside and as soon as I put the tv on, I put my feet up....I was a goner!!!!

Its also been cooler here (the 70's) with a cool breeze, not even using my air conditioning this week so once I grab my blanket and get on my couch..i just can't help but take a snooooooooze:yawn:
    its just great sleeping weather.

I can't remember going through this last year:eek:

Anyone else?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2014

Well, not with work issues recently, but I tend to be a night owl. It takes me a week or two of working days to stop staying up until 3 am....which makes the first weeks working a bit of a nightmare. I have learned to nap right after I get home to stave off the grumpies! :p

Try keeping the lights off after a certain time, reading a book to a book light, not a regular lamp and not watching tv. When things get really bad with me I listen to music meant to encourage sleep, any local Target will have a display of those types of CD's. It helps my mind turn off so I can get sleepy.

Or you can stay all night like I am watching HGTV and DIY! :lol:

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2014

I've always been a night owl too...in fact, long ago, I started a thread on this board titled ATTN: Night Owls. But yes, when I'm on vacation, sky's the limit even more so & I find myself staying up until 2 & 3 something a.m.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2014

I'm a serious night owl.

I've been going to bed around 6:00 in the morning all summer. :eek:

That's a plus to being single. I keep the hours I like and nobody cares.

I'm seeing a tattoo artist, and he's a night owl, too. People just done get tattoos at 10:00 in the morning. :lol: I was at the tattoo shop hanging out today. Didn't even get there until 7:00 at night, and we went to Walmart after we closed the shop.

I did okay last week at work, but this week I'll have kids. I'm going to have to get my sleep schedule back on track. Obviously tonight isn't the night since it it 4 in the morning and I'm still up.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2014

I like your hours I would do the same if my husband didn't whine that he sleeps better when I'm around (note, that is only because I smack him when he snores because he's irritating me......but at least his snoring isn't waking him up:lol:)

What is worst is when I have something on my mind....I might sleep all day tomorrow or never fall asleep. Applying for jobs out of state, which require a leap of faith to afford to get to, alone, trends to interfere with sleep........can't imagine why:whistle:

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

I have the opposite problem. If I wake up after 3 or 4 am, there is no going back to sleep.

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2014

I agree, being single as I am too:) is a perk because your schedule is the only schedule you have to worry about.

I still have almost a month before I go back but I know its going to be painful when that first week of school starts....uggggh I do not want to even think about that!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

Just force yourself to cut out the naps. No tv too. If you have to take a nap set an alarm for 30 minutes then cut down the time. My husband used to drive me crazy with this. He would come home from work at 3 and take a nap til dinner time. Then he couldn't go to sleep until 2am and be grumpy at 5:30 when he had to get up. I told him to get his lazy butt off the couch and not take a nap and he was amazed that it worked (I told him I was right LOLOL).

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

I suffer from summer insomnia, I swear! I can be really tired, go to bed, and can't sleep!
    I normally sleep from 2 or 3 am until 9 in the summer. Weekends during the school year are usually 12 or 1 until 7:30ish.

11. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I am such an insomniac. It gets really annoying! I am in the same boat of staying up until all hours of the night (well, morning really lol). I need to start going to bed at a normal time to get ready for this upcoming school year!

I read online that if you lay perfectly still and close your eyes for 15 minutes, you will fall asleep. This usually works for me, although the first 12 or so minutes are a struggle haha! I also have to convince myself to turn off the computer/phone/tv and lay in the dark for a while too.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

I make myself get into bed no later than 10:30 and always with something to read. Lately I have been falling asleep after no more than 5 minutes of reading. Sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes not hours like if I just laid in bed doing nothing. Also, you should stop eating at a certain point in the evening. Some people can't sleep if they eat late. Try for 7pm and then eat nothing after that.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

This is me! :lol: When I was still at my parents, I didn't have cable in the basement. Every day my mom would come home from working and see me upstairs watching HGTV or DIY. She kept asking if I got sick of it- never!!! (She watches things like Snapped and that drives me nuts!)

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 3, 2014

I can't fall asleep until I am at the brink of exhaustion where my eyes are rolling back in my head and I can barely keep them open. At the point, I can fall asleep easily. I actually lay in bed for 1 - 2 hours reading/watching Netflix on my iPad before I can actually sleep. Last night we went to a friend's bday party and didn't get in until like 1 a.m., so I read until about 2:30 before I could fall asleep.

DH is the exact opposite. As soon as he gets in bed, he can fall asleep right away and be dead to the world until he's ready to get up.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2014

I love to nap in cool weather. Does anyone else take melatonin? It helps me sleep and I can even take it as late as midnight or so and still get up fresh at 6:15.

16. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

I am a night owl too. I've been going to bed between 2-3 am and I get up around 10. Last nigbt it was 4am before I could fall asleep. I take a nap everyday from 4-6pm. I would probably go to sleep earlier if I didn't nap but I actually like my schedule! I won't like it so much when school starts in 2 weeks though!

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2014

See when others in the house refuse, I have discovered the CharterTV app, I can watch live tv. So I take my tablet and find a space and watch it anyway!

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2014

yeah, but it doesn't work for me too well. I have to take two of the largest dose pills to get any help.

I don't even think of anything when I can't sleep. My brain is just "on" and its bored. VERY BORED!

So I always find something to do, since I don't like being bored. Which then keeps me up longer.

Yep, been doing this for years......

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2014

They have U-Verse and to my knowledge, they offer no such app :down:
    I would watch things on my laptops sometimes. Luckily, most evenings, the Tigers were on. It was before and after the game when I went crazy. And their off days and day game days, too.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

As I've gotten older, I've grown to love and appreciate naps. Now that summer vacation is over, though, I can't get my mid-day siesta.

Once, I laid on the couch after work (around 7pm) and was OUT until the next morning!

21. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I haven't been able to get to sleep til at least 3 am lately, so it's nice to see I'm not alone!!! Unfortunately, my kids don't seem to care that I didn't get to sleep til late, so the mornings are rough! Once I'm back at work, I'm exhausted during the week and will sleep at a normal time. Summers and weekends though, it's hard for me to sleep. I'll even go without naps (though I'm exhausted) and still manage to not be able to sleep until 3. I have been working part time in the evenings, 6-10pm, every weeknight, and that doesn't seem to help me get to bed earlier. By the time I'm done working, I'm so antsy from being tied to my computer for 4 hours that I just can't manage to lay still or even chill out! I told my kids that we're going to have to start getting up earlier next week in preparation for school, so I guess I'll have to start sleeping earlier also. I sure hope it works!

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 7, 2014

I do this every time school is out for even a few days. I was teaching summer school last week up until Friday, and regular school for teachers starts this Friday. Even with less than week off I am back to staying up half the night and sleeping until noon. Last night I went to bed at 5 and woke up at around 12:30. I have an extremely difficult time sleeping, so I relish being on my own schedule where I can sleep when I'm actually tired. Melatonin did not work for me. I used to take a very high dose of prescription sleeping pill, which worked, but now that I'm on high deductible insurance I can no longer afford it. Friday I have to be at work at 7:00. I am going to be SO tired!

23. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

I try not to be a night owl so I can do my gym routines in the morning when I can before school starts! It's just so peaceful going to the gym early in the morning with no one in there…(my gym is open 24 hours). But usually I'd be in bed by like 1 or 2am…sometimes in bed and can't fall asleep!

24. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

Last night was my worst night, didn't fall asleep until 4:30 in the morning and then woke up at 8:30!!!! I couldn't even stay sleeping:eek: I did take a 2.5 hour nap today from 3 to 5:30 so I have a feeling I will be wide awake until the sun comes up!!!! Uggggggggggggh!:mad::mad::mad:

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2014

SubCT, have you gone back to work yet or no? Well, I plan to stay up LATE...like many previous nights.

26. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 12, 2014

I was hoping to get to bed at a normal time tonight because I have SO much to do tomorrow (today?) but no such luck. I've been in bed since 11 but I am wide awake. :banghead: I just want to get to sleep! (I should probably get off of the computer....)

27. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

No not until the 26th of August. I am still in Summer mode:cool: I'm being so leisurely, hanging out at home, staying up until the wee hours of the morning and naps during the day----so not ready yet!

I will have to start getting back on my school schedule soon..just not ready yet:p

28. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

I do that almost every night..lay in bed, can't fall asleep..get back on the computer until 2 or 3 in the morning:eek:

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2014

I go to bed around 3 am too. And then wake up around 7 :eek:
    I guess I don't need that much sleep. I recently started napping too :p

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2014

This school yr, I won't have the type of job where I need to get up early, so every night, I'll just be staying up until I naturally get sleepy. :)

31. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 15, 2014

I did better last few nights..went to bed by 1:30 in the morning..which is good considering I was staying up until 4 or 5 am this week, still can't believe I did that!!!

This morning I had to be up by 9am to start another Study at one of the Research Companies I'm a Panelist for..so if I don't nap today:p maybe I will go to bed by midnight tonight?

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2014

I stayed up until 3:30am this morning & my body still naturally woke up several min after 8am. I don't know where the time went, but in the next what seemed like just a couple of hrs, it was already 3pm!

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2014

So you'll be setting your own hours? That's nice. I hope you find your job fulfilling....:thumb:

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2014

Sure will! I'll see how long I can make this arrangement last, however I'll probably be commuting to a job again in the future. So far, it's at least until next summer.

35. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 22, 2014

I need to change this habit fast...I go back on Tuesday:eek:

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2014

SubCT, sorry it's back to the ratrace for you. All good things must come to an end.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 26, 2014

No one posted here past 9:30pm. I guess everyone really is back to work! :) I'm not even sleepy...I think I'll watch a little TV soon.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 26, 2014

I go back Tuesday. I don't usually stay up so late even when i'm on vacation but last night I was up until about 12:30. I was watching Netflix then reading and had no idea what time it was! I still woke up at 6:45!! My regular wake up time is 6 so that's not bad but I just can't make a habit of staying up so late!