Staying past contracted time

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mathmagic, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

Most subs are paid "hourly" / a "daily" rate with a specific set of hours. Out of curiosity, how many of you end up spending lots of extra time in the classroom, i.e. beyond the "contracted" hours, whether during single day or long term sub positions?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

The only times I stayed late was when I subbed for art...it always took me an extra twenty or so minutes to clean up.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

See, I am almost the opposite. Many times I'll leave right at the contracted time because of having to make it to my other job, but more often than not, I find myself sticking around to do some extra cleaning / extra work to help the teacher (or taking some assessments with me to grade for them). Naturally, the week-long sub positions I've had I've often stayed an extra 1-2 hours on many nights so that I can plan.

Granted, part of it sometimes is just taking my time after school is over in terms of cleaning up ;) (but only occasionally!)

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 1, 2013

I used to stay so much longer. When I first started subbing I would stay up to 30 minutes longer to organize evrything, leave notes, straighten things out.
    Then I got more efficient and I'm able to do all these during class time, so I can leave right away.

Althought because I work at 2 schools only, the teachers often have me plan for some of the lessons, and when I'm in a LTS (2 weeks or 3, which is not considered LTS at these schools) I spend a significant amount of time planning. But I don't mind.

6. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Feb 2, 2013

Normal (daily) subbing: I usually spend about 15 minutes cleaning up, double-checking that everything's off and logged out, organizing the assignments, etc. Normally I write the note after I get home and then email it; that usually takes me about 45 minutes, but I'm a finicky writer.

LTSing: I was pretty much working 24/7...ok, not 24/7, but 7:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. every other day, and probably an extra hour or two on the off days, plus several weekend hours every week and a lot over Christmas break. (We only see the same kids every other day for 90 minutes on our schedule, so I got to repeat the lessons for two of my three preps on the "off" days.) I was creating tons of sometimes-elaborate lessons from scratch, though, and I had somewhat time-consuming grading periodically---AP essays that needed detailed feedback, etc. My LTS pay was an additional $15/day after the first 10 days, but that definitely didn't reflect the difference in workload. However, base (daily) sub pay is pretty generous in Oregon, about $160/day even in my rural farm town, so I wasn't too unhappy with my actual paycheck; I just thought the differential seemed a bit ridiculous under the circumstances.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 2, 2013

I spend lots of hours both before and after school planning and getting stuff together. I have a 13 week LTS, but its only considered day-to-day subbing so I'm I'm not getting paid a whole lot compared to salary (its one of the highest paying districts in the area for salary, lowest for subbing....)

I don't even want to count how much time I'm spending outside of school working on stuff....

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 2, 2013

Unless it's a long term job, I'm out of there as soon as I'm able. I've gotten better at keeping things organized throughout the day and I make the kids clean up the floor before they go home. If the day is completely packed, I might stay to write a note, but generally I try to do that at lunchtime....at least half of the note. I've found on occassion, I write something at lunch, and then in the afternoon something happens so that I have to rewrite the whole thing.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 4, 2013

Haha... +1 I stopped doing that because I wanted to stop jinxing myself!

Like you, I split when I can, basically when all the kids are out of sight. LTS is a tremendous bargain for the school. I probably was pulling in a juicy $8-10/hr for all the extra time I spent.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013

Regarding the note - after a while I started doing the same, mirroring my change from hand-written notes to a computer-written note. I have a pretty set routine in terms of the note I write, so it is easy to prep the note, and then fill in during the breaks throughout the day (i.e. during lunch, writing about the morning if there's no planning). So really, while the note took me forever after school before, it usually takes up a very short time after school to finish up. I just end up getting caught up with wanting to help out in other ways beyond the time or I have planning to do for a future day / to give the classroom teacher next steps

(And to John Lee - I agree - I have to knock on wood sometimes because I will pre-write a few parts because I will have something planned a certain way, and then it won't happen for whatever reason or some weird situation will come up :p)

11. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Feb 12, 2013

I generally stay to clean up, but sometimes that is done while a few stragglers are waiting with me for late buses. I write my note throughout the day. I created a "note" that is separated by class period so the teacher can have a breakdown of how the students did. I generally write in how each class did towards the end of class, making notes as needed while the class is there (if that makes sense).

Only time I stay really late is to chat with teachers I may know in the building. When I was in a LTS situation, a lot more time was devoted, but I also received teacher pay, so it was not too bad.

12. Vince

Vince Rookie

Mar 1, 2013

On rare occasions I might stay a few minutes, but that's not common.

I typically have 30 mins after the kids leave to write a note or clean. (which I usually make the kids do anyway :D )