Staying Motivated

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wcormode, Mar 23, 2015.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Mar 23, 2015

I just accepted a new job at a different school.

With a whole quarter of school left has anyone else been in this same situation? 9 weeks at a job that you have been aching to get out of and now you have the next one in line.

I am having trouble figuring out how I will stay motivated going forward with the year. It is also compounded that I accepted the new job on the first day of spring break so I had 7 days relaxing away from the building before I had to jump back in.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2015

Bottom line--you owe it to the kids to give them your very best right up until the very last day. It's often challenging, once we know what we are doing next year, to focus on that instead of the present. However, just as we wouldn't expect (or allow) our students to just "coast" for a quarter, we can't allow ourselves to. While in your building, give your all to the kids; save your excitement about your new position for your personal time. Maybe planning some special events or activities with your current students will help keep the motivation up?

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2015

Oh this could be paradise. You get to teach, really teach what is best for kids and don't have to worry about the consequences. Can someone say Freedom! This is your time to leave teaching with a bang, do what is best for kids and you don't have to worry near as much as most teachers about admin. What are they going to do--not renew your contract? Perfect :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 23, 2015

I totally agree! My son had a teacher who took a new job for the following year, and by the third quarter he was totally checked out of the current year, no longer interested in helping students who would not be his students come fall, resistant to providing extra help or making and keeping student help dates. It wasn't until I inserted myself into the situation, and documented the lack of response that the teacher realized someone was still expecting him to teach to the specs of his contract. This was a teacher who had been highly regarded within the district, but his behavior that second semester was far from ideal, and I did go on record as a dissatisfied parent of a struggling student. It probably made no difference to him in the grand scheme of things, but we definitely chalked that to ways NOT to teach.

6. PatTm

PatTm Rookie

Mar 25, 2015

Been fighting this same internal battle since November, but at this time the only guarantee I have for next year is I can go back to subbing day to day (not overly appealing). Tried a lot of different tactics, but basically just have to remind myself of the responsibilities I agreed to in August. Doesn't make work motivating or enjoyable, but I know its doable for the next 2.5 months. Congrats on the new job