Staying motivated for 4th quarter

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Apr 3, 2017.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 3, 2017

I'm having some teacher senioritis. It's April, the end is in sight, I know I'm not teaching next year (though I'm sure I'll be back to teaching at some point) and....

I have no motivation to go to work. My students' behavior is crazy, I'm constantly drained, it doesn't feel like I'm able to teach them anything effectively, and I just want the year to be over.

How do you keep up your motivation during the end of the year?

3. 4SquareRubric

4SquareRubric Rookie

Apr 3, 2017

Find something new. Use the liberation to your advantage. This is the time to really experiment with methods, strategies, and structures you might use in the future. Whether that be next year or 5 years.

Be a learner in your own classroom.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 3, 2017

I'm in the same boat with this being my last and final stretch of teaching for a while (apart from subbing). But I'm in a place where I'm absolutely rushing to get everything into the year that I can because I'm finishing up my National Board work and there are some projects I need to get to at the end of the year for this fellowship program I did last year, and I have to stay on the same pace as my PLC. I'm definitely ready for the year to be over but mostly from exhaustion and a desire to put as many miles between me and this school as possible.

So I guess my answer would be to keep busy? Plan something you really want to get to by the end of the year and stick to that schedule?

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 3, 2017

I use this as Project Time. Let the kids do some big things and have fun with 'em.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2017

This is exactly what I am doing with my seniors who definitely do have senioritis...project-based learning under a tightly-planned timeframe to keep them on their toes (or at least keep their feet on the ground and behinds in chairs!).

Backroads likes this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2017

Try some new things. Last spring, I was getting into the Book Whisperer two books, and so I decided to try a few elements out from that just as a quick test run. It gave me enough information then to craft how I'd start out this year. Even though you're not teaching next year, maybe use it as a time to experiment with some ideas you've had - and bring the kids in on it - I told my kiddos last year about the book I was reading and the changes I was trying out as a result of that reading...and they were able to give some great feedback as we went.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 3, 2017

We are moving to a new building (yay!) and we have to literally pack it all up. We only have 2 days after the students to get it all packed. So I started packing and the room feels like we are in the last week of May BUT it isn't! I just want to organize and purge... teach... not so much!

9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 6, 2017

I've never had a problem staying motivated to the last day. It's always been the kids who want nothing to do with school, starting around Fall break.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 6, 2017

I truly think 4th quarter is tough on everyone from the top down: admin, teachers, parents, and students.

I lovingly refer to it as the 4th Quarter Slump.

miss-m likes this.
  11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 6, 2017

I'm definitely seeing this at my school. The kids are all stir crazy and riled up, the teachers are all super drained... I've had a kid in the recovery room for three days now. He'll finally be back in class tomorrow but since he hates recovery and keeps saying he wants to come back, it's weird that he's not doing what he needs to do to come back.
    Even my normally-great kids are acting up. I'm just exhausted! 33 (school) days left though!!!

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 6, 2017

Stick with routine but mix it up when you can.

I do not recommend having a whole different schedule or routine for your class. It will just make them nuts. Instead, look for ways to refresh what you're already doing. Maybe let them work with a partner on a worksheet they'd normally work alone on, or have them choose the 4 questions they want to answer out of 5 possible choices. Any little bit of choice can be helpful.