Staying Home More Due to H1N1

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2009

Do you find yourself staying home more due to H1N1, so you're not exposed to as many germs? I'm not talking about taking days off from work for the heck of it, but staying home on your free time.

I saw on 60 Minutes that the virus can be transmitted up to 10 feet away! :eek: So far, I haven't been staying home any more than I normally do.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 26, 2009

Nope, I'm going about my business as usual and am mainly hoping my school won't get his hard by it.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

I'm not, but my grandmother won't go out of the house at all because she's scared she'll get it.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2009

My BF's mom just came back from a 7 day cruise to Cabo San Lucas. I would have cancelled that.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

Yes we are. There were 194 schools closed in our state last week!!! Abbout 56 things libraries, schools & what not closed in our area alone!!

Just found out our neighbor that the lil ones play with had/has it!! Ugh they played with her the day before her fever came!!! So praying that we won't get it!!!

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 26, 2009

I am a bit (trying not to eat out in restaurants, etc) but I continue to go to the gym and I'm afraid I'll catch something there due to the sharing of the equipment - I don't want to not work out, though, I can't afford to gain any more lbs (especially since I'll be weighed at the doctor's on Friday, blah!!)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 26, 2009

It looks like the shot is going to be very hard to get. I refuse to stand in line for 3 hours to get one. MMM, I had not thought about staying home more--but that may be the route to go.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2009

They say a fever is the very 1st symptom you get. This is scary. The SLP & I were talking about. She was saying young people like in their 20s are dying...but they appeared to already have an underlying med condition, but still! :eek:

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

People die from so many things. I'm not going to stay home and lock myself inside from fear of this stupid flu.

Eat right and exercise. More people die of heart disease than they will from this stupid virus. Just be smart about things.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

Nope.

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 26, 2009

Bravo!!!!

Around here, the medical professionals are saying that if you have the flu, most likely it's swine flu. Their advice is to stay home until you have been fever free for 24 hours (without meds). We had nearly 25% of our students out with it a couple weeks ago.

The kids come back, they are fine.

Sure we should be cautious, but not avoid the world around us.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 26, 2009

Rolling right along here...

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

Nope.

If I were a germaphobe, I probably wouldn't have chosen a career that puts me into contact with so many kids.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

Business as usual here. With everything we have going on in this house right now, we are probably out and about more now than we have been in the past several years.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

Rolling right along here too. The only thing I am doing differently is making sure I wipe down the equipment at the gym before I use it. (kind of did that anyway)

At school I am constantly wiping things down. I have had half my class out with swine flu. Most was 6 at a time.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

I am certain I will eventually get it-especially being around the kids. I had a 3rd Grader bring me a note yesterday and literally just sneezed on me! Taking vitamins and washing my hands a lot-but I always did that anyway. If I started to get sick, I'd go to the doctor right away. We had a case all over the news this weeked a 33-year old man that died-well, he was sick for over 2 weeks before seeking any medical attention-by then it was pneumonia.

I agree by all accounts it's not fun to have it, but imagine all the mild cases we don't hear about where people were just fine. I know people who think they had in last spring before it even had a name.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

The only reason I'm out more than usual is that they are asking us to stay home for 48 hours after a fever -- and usually I'd come back to work the next day. I don't want to infect anyone else with whatever seasonal bug I may have had.

We were supposed to get swine flu shots today, but they ran out of the vaccine long before they got to our school. We have so many verified cases, too. I hope it won't be much longer.