Staying Healthy

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by SF_Giants66, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

Yikes. Some of these measures seem excessive to me, and I teach Kindergarten!

I always make sure the kids wash their hands after lunch and after going to the bathroom. I encourage them to do so and try to teach them the importance of cleanliness.

But... that's it. I keep some B&B hand sanitizer in my desk, but it's mostly only for my use. A few of my students bring their own sanitizer, some do not.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

Admittedly, I may be overly cautious this year because I got spooked when my husband's aunt died over Christmas. She was 60 years old, in perfect health, and got the flu (H1N1) and was dead 3 days later. There were no complications except for the flu. Two students have died from the flu in nearby districts, again healthy and dead within 3 days of showing symptoms.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2014

While I can have hand sanitizer tucked away for my own use, I cannot give it to students and they are not allowed to have it in the classroom (violates our Health and Safety Guidelines). I wash my hands when possible, take Vitamin C, have a flu shot, eat lots of fruit and veggies and get as much sleep as I can. I tend to get a couple of colds every year (have since I was a kid), but it's been years since I've had anything more serious.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

Making sure not to touch your face & eyes. When parents would send baby wipes we'd use those to clean our hands as well. Making sure you go over rules of sneezing or coughing into elbow not hands!

5. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

:hugs: Sorry to hear that.

For me, there's only so much I can do to stay healthy. I try to educate my kids on germs and keeping themselves safe but that's the extent of it. Working with children I just figure exposure to germs is part of the territory!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I completely agree. I encourage handwashing - and set aside time to take my class to the bathroom before snack and lunch so students can wash. Like MrsC I cannot give students hand sanitizer or have it available in the classroom. I keep a small bottle in my desk for personal use after I deal with something unsanitary. In general, I don't worry about germs too much. The only year I got the flu was the year I had a flu shot, so I don't hold too much faith in those. Relax, eat well, wash your hands and you'll be as healthy as any average adult.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2014

Just an FYI, but I don't think that hand sanitizer kills the Norovirus. You need actual soap and water for that one.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 2, 2014

I put a big bottle of hand sanitizer next to the student tissue box. If it's there, they will use it. I feel like that's just better for everyone :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2014

This is what I do as well. I wish we had a sink in the classroom, but we don't, so at least students have sanitizer available if they want it.

10. flewthecoop

flewthecoop Rookie

Feb 2, 2014

I have worked around kids for the last 10 years, pretty much since I graduated high school, and NEVER have I been as sick as I have since coming to a new school this year. Not only do my fellow teachers cough/ sneeze into their own hands and use no sanitizer or wash their hands afterwards, my students have really just grossed me out! I know, that sounds harsh. But, for example, the other day a student got a nose bleed, raised their hand to tell me and at that point they had both hands covered in blood. I almost always keep my classroom door open and I instructed the student to not touch anything and go wash their hands and clean their face, etc (I teach middle school so this isn't rocket science to them). Immediately after saying that the student proceeded to touch their desk and get blood all over it. This isn't the only time its happened, several others have done the same thing. I keep spray sanitizer and spray tables, chairs, the air, door knobs, etc. I also require that students not blow their noses around my desk...
    Oh yeah, drink lots of oj!

11. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 2, 2014

I do believe you are correct.

I do find though that using hand sanitizer reminds me to stop if I start to touch my face. The smell grabs my attention and reminds me I need to get in a good washing session.

12. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

Somehow ever topic I post tends to go on a marathon whether or not I'm involved in it.

I would have a problem with the shaking hands policy too. I think giving hugs has less chance of spreading germs than shaking hands, yet at the same time it would be kind of silly to give everyone a hug as they walked in the room, so I would say the required physical contact policies should go.

13. teach1

teach1 Companion

Feb 3, 2014

i'm a big believer of apple cider vinegar.
    1 teaspoon mixed with water... every morning & before dinner.

side note: it must have the "mother" in it. i use the brand, BRAGG. the health benefits are truly endless!:2cents:

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

I don't think giving each student a hug as they walk in the room would be silly at all. It could be because I'm a primary teacher, but just my opinion.

15. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

I'm planning on being a middle school teacher though, and people also have a general prejudice against male childcare workers, so I think giving each student a hug as they walk in the room might be kind of different than a female primary school teacher.

16. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 3, 2014

What about a high five? Quick and not all that touchy feely.

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2014

I avoid almost all physical contact with students. I never lend them anything, if they touch it, they keep it. I wash my hands various times during the day, especially before lunch. I've even thought of having specific kid makers that just they use to write on the board, and I have my own.

I think I'm a border-line germ-a-phobe

18. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

I agree 100%. From your point of view I wouldn't hug either.

19. Joy

Joy Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

Because I'm a music teacher, I do lots of activities with the kids throughout the day where we have to take hands. Beat passing games, taking hands in a circle, doing a folk dance are things we do regularly. I use lots of wet wipes and hand sanitizer. I got really sick at the beginning of the year with a stomach bug and started washing my hands with my own soap in the workroom sink. I also now have a small hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works hanging on my lanyard. That way I can get a quick squeeze whenever I need without bringing attention to it. I really don't want it to come across that I must "sanitize" my hands after touching one of my students. Having it more discreet seems to help with that and remind me to use it.

The kids are supposed to wash their hands after going to music and PE. If we do a beat passing game during flu season, I usually give each kid a squirt when they line up. I don't do it everyday though. I don't want to have to go through that much sanitizer! I see so many kids it could be a bottle a day!

20. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 3, 2014

We are teachers, thus we are born talkers!:)

Plus, we tend to be caretakers, so when people ask for help/ advice we naturally can not contain ourselves.:lol:

21. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 4, 2014

I don't admit this in public simply because I'm a guy, but I do have a generally hugging impulse that I have to avoid or keep cool except for when appropriate.

I worked as a summer camp counselor at a sleep-away camp and the young boys in my cabin became family and several of them enjoyed hugs and horseplay which most people at a summer camp setting took no issue with, but trying to expose a more professional image when teaching might be difficult for me to settle into since I'm naturally more of a childish, goof-off kind of guy.

My other issue is going to be learning to get along with parents mostly. My emotional developmental delays in life have for some reason made it very easy for me to get along with kids, but still remains a struggle getting along with adults. I also have this general bias subconsciously that parents are in general trying to hold their kids back, make them go along with their warped political and religious views, and don't let them develop individuality. I don't know how true this perspective is, but the experiences in my life have caused me to form that belief and is hard to shake.

I'm sorry. I know that is off-topic a bit, but thought maybe other teachers have known people like this and how they have coped.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2014

When parents start keeping sick kids home, I'll stop disinfecting my classroom so much and being so paranoid about germs. I've had several students come back to school a couple of days after H1N1 diagnosis, looking like death warmed over, clearly medicated to mask the symptoms, but not wanting to miss anymore school. And, out came the Lysol!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2014

MissC... agree... don't just send your kids thinking we'll send them back if it warrants. I had a parent do that when her child had pink eye. She told me I thought you'd call and send her home if it was pink eye (we didn't have a nurse at school either). I said it looked like pink eye office people sent her back and said it was allergies... She went home & to dr...PINK EYE!!! Thanks for exposing the rest of us to that lovely contagious condition!!!

24. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 4, 2014

To those who addressed the issue of keeping the immune system active. Yes, you want to keep the immune system doing its job, but overloading it with germs isn't necessary. You are naturally going to be breathing in and taking in germs constantly. The purpose of frequent hand washing and disinfectants is to limit the amount of germs you are exposed to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.