Staying, going, or on the bubble?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lemonhead, Mar 7, 2009.

?

Are your staying, going or in limbo for 2009-2010?

1. Staying- same grade or subject(s)

50 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Staying- different grade or subject(s)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Leaving or trying to leave- my choice

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Transferring to a new school- not my choice

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Losing job- need to start new search

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Too early to know whether I can stay or have to go

19 vote(s)
    20.7%
  7. Leaving teaching entirely

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

It's hard to keep track of who is doing what so I thought we could do it here. I will probably need to switch to a new grade but there is also a possibility I will get transferred to another school. I'm in limbo. What is up with you?

3. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

I just had my evaluation and my review of my evaluation with the p and she stated that she's 99% sure that I'm staying as a third grade teacher. The 1% being if a bilingual teacher is needed at another grade level and there are no volunteers. My evaluation was VERY good and she said that she was very pleased to have hired me!

4. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I was just told this week that I am being recommended to the board to stay on next year as either a Pre-K or 1st grade teacher. Although I love 1st, I'm excited at the opportunity to be back in Pre-K again!

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

I will be staying right where I am. I know that I will be teaching all of the physics classes (regular and honors). I do not know what else I will be teaching. It will depend on the numbers enrolled and the way the schedules fall. It will also depend on if my department chairs husband is transferred or not because if he is then I will probably get at least her AP Chemistry and maybe some other chemistry courses.

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 7, 2009

For awhile it looked like I might change grade/subject, but I will be staying put.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

Staying same grade and (I hope) self-contained. That is, unless my teaching partner, who is also self-contained, decides to retire and my new partner prefers to teach only two disciplines.

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

My evaluation was great, but I am low on the totem pole, so to speak. Our district is trying to pass levies right now to help with funding -- if they don't pass.... it means cuts. I might not have a position, or rather, my position will be filled by someone with more seniority. As if I need that stress right now on top of being halfway through a pregnancy, right?:eek: I really hope, however, that it doesn't happen, and that I can come back and teach in the same position I am in now.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

I will have something. Evaluations have been good. The position of "Connections teacher" is still up for review... it may not return next year. I am technically on a one year contract with recall rights. It is always a possibility that there may not be a job for me next year, but it isn't likely. We are in an area that has not been hit quite as hard from the economic crisis, and class sizes will be going down next year as well.

On top of that, if my job was available for next year, I'm not sure that I'd want it... I would probably prefer a classroom, but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

I am moving to another state with my boyfriend, after 7 years at my current school, so I am looking for a new job by choice. It's a little scary. I have a pretty strong resume, I interview well, and I have more experience than others, so I am hoping for the best. My BF lives in a pretty growing town, so I think I will be able to find something. I hope!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2009

Staying, same subject.

But the grade is a total crapshoot.

I always tell my department chair to do me last-- I can fill in wherever he needs me.

So it will be math, but I have no idea of the grade. No one will know until June... and things have been known to change radically over the summer.

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

Due to the retirement my another team member, I will be the "senior" 1st grade teacher at my site, and the team leader too. Staying put!

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

As far as I know right now I am staying and as far as I know right now (just from comments the p has made to this point) it will be 3rd grade again. Hopefully it will be.

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 7, 2009

I am hoping to move down a couple of grades but not sure if that will happen at my current school - I do have contacts at another school/district and have met with the P there who is interested in hiring me. I am hoping that it will happen.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 7, 2009

I would love to go! I am searching for a new job in another school district and then telling my principal after I am hired. I'm not too sure if she wants me to stay anyways...but I have the union behind me:D. I have never worked in a school that has had low staff morale the whole school year and it is getting worse:(.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

I can bet the school that I left last year had a lower staff morale than your school does. Everytime I talk to someone who is still there, they tell me how good my decision I made to leave last summer was and they wish that they could do it also. The problem is that it is a private school but the pay and retirement is better than the public schools in the area. The problem is the demeaning stuff that you have to put up with from the administration until you retire. Good luck in getting out of your situation.

17. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Mar 7, 2009

With the economy my district is closing 6 schools,and people are leaving our district so our numbers are low. They people from the closing schools will come to the other buildings. My building is losing 6-7 people. The district will RIF (reduction in work force) a minimum of 400 teachers. Although the slips have not been sent out, I am getting my paper work altogether. I already have letters of recommendation from my current P and VP-as well as from last years P. I have 12 years experience-3 in this district- and finding a job with that much experience will by tricky, but I try to remain optimistic that the right thing will come along.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

Right now I'm staying in my current position of 3rd grade, but I'm actually hoping to move down to 1st or 2nd. We'll see what happens! (so I'm not voting yet in the poll...lol)

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 7, 2009

I'm staying, and like Alice, the actual grade is a total crapshoot, though I'm making noises to have all 7th grade. We're exapanding so there will be two more 7th grade classes, which means there will be enough classess for me to teach only 7th. I don't know why I like that grade so much, but I do, and I would love it if I didn't have to teach any other grade.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2009

Wanna bet, lol. I work in a very small school with 8 teachers. 4 of us are looking for new jobs, 1 will be gone next year on maternity leave and the other 3 are first year teachers so they don't have a choice but to stay. I really don't have a choice either, but I will be breaking my contract and leaving the district. The school board for some reason has hired a non-educational program to provide my school with behavioral support in our classrooms (they take the place of parapros) and this program is trying to take over how we work with the students in our class. They don't want us to have a part in how our students are disciplined or in the behavioral management system we have in our classroom. They have even told their workers not to leave us alone with our students when we are disciplining them (they have to be within 1 foot of us:eek:hmy:). Keep in mind that this program has no experience in working with behavioral students or in an elementary school and they are hiring behavioral support workers with no experience working with children:confused:. Some classrooms have had up to 9 behaviorial support workers quit because they couldn't handle it. Half of us (including the assistant principal) have made calls into our union.:unsure:

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

So I think I'm going to sit next year out. I'm not sure what the future holds for me, but I don't think I'm going to search out a classroom position. There is a job fair in a few weeks through CalWest, and I've been working them since last year to find a job. I may go to see what kind of fundraising/development positions they have, but I don't think I'll interview for any classroom jobs. Although my heart still loves the classroom. I'm still waiting to hear back on the curriculum writing position (hopefully this week), and Sprout is on schedule to launch this week. So educational projects are in progress.

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

I am already gone. That was not an option on the poll.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

I'll be at the same school (barring anything unforeseen), but have no idea of my assignment yet. I'm hoping to stay in Special Ed, but could also end up as a homeroom teacher either all or part of the day. We haven't been told the anticipated staffing and school organization yet for next year, after that is done our names get penciled in beside assignments. Any combination of Special Ed, Literacy Teacher and a homeroom (above grade 3) would be fine with me.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

I was hoping that I could move to the other spectrum of ESE next year...teaching gifted but my P won't let me out of my present position. Gee...I wonder why she thinks she would have difficulty replacing a teacher who has 15 - 20 kids per class each year ranging in cognitive age from 2 yrs old to gifted 5th grade with one assistant and no resources for the cognitively impaired children...and also expecting all these children to pass standardized grade level tests! I'm coming down off my soapbox now.

25. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Augh. I am not sure what I am doing. We have a terrible principal - incompetent and mean. District leadership WRT special ed. is non-existent. The climate is terrible. 4 other teachers may leave. If the principal is not removed, I may leave.

Parents who are parenting passively and blame the school for everything have me right at the edge. And I am a current parent of school aged kids, so I am not out of touch with parenting challenges today.

If I stay, I should still have a position and will continue as a K-5 special ed. teacher.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

Proud,

I didn't know your school was that small. That is how many teachers are on my grade level team. I would think it would be hard to walk away from bad attitudes when there are so few people. :hugs:

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

OK Proud :) --maybe your school is worse because having 112 other teachers that were in the same boat as you were and could lend an ear when needed. I am just glad that I am out of the situation--5 years was more than enough for me.

28. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

staying because I will be going on maternity leave at the end of September so I need to keep my job!

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

I will be in the same position far as I know. I have been in 1st grade the longest at our school, this is my 5th yr. My partner has been with me 4 yrs, but our K classes are large enough for both of us to stay.

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2009

Yup, my school is tiny. We are a site program for students coded with a severe emotional/behavioral disabilities. We take the students that cannot function in a regular class and are pretty well the school of last resort before they are sent to a residential school or home school program. The majority of our students have been physically, sexually and/or emotionally abused:eek:hmy:. Each class has 1-2 behavioral support workers (but they are not hired by the school district), so in total we have 15 behavior support workers right now. Out of the 15 behavior support workers, 7 of them work well in a school setting and with the students, we have a few that feel sorry for the students and don't want to follow through with consequences and the rest who really don't have a clue:eek:hmy:.

I wouldn't say that the teachers have bad attitudes...it is that we are all frustrated by the fact that this other program is being allowed to take over our classrooms because the principal is trying to keep them happy for their funding. It was a great place to be last year before this new program came into the picture and the school was run by the assistant principal b/c the principal had no clue what to do (she still doesn't have a clue but she would not even let the assistant principal in the school:dizzy:). Our principal is principal of 2 schools (about 5 minutes apart and 125 students in total) and she assigned the assist. principal to the other school.

31. traveler

traveler Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I am staying but may be changing levels. My P asked me what I was willing to teach. He hired me to teach 5th but then changed me to first 3 weeks before school started. So who knows where I will be.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

I sure hope to be in the same position next year! I guess we'll just have to see what happens....

33. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 8, 2009

I am staying at the same position and we will be hiring a kindergarten teacher to replace a retiring K teacher. The only thing up in the air right now is the possibility of changing rooms. I'd rather not, but if they ask me to, I will.

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2009

I'm pretty assured of staying at my school but I'm quietly putting in to be paired with another teacher or given a classroom of my own, as long as I get to teach my core subject matter. I miss teaching English!

35. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Mar 8, 2009

I will have a job somewhere in my division. Because we are employees of the division, they are free to put us where they want us. However, I teach grade 9 French Immersion and enrollment is going UP in our grade next year so, fingers crossed, I'll be in the same school at the same level.

36. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

I will be in the same school and teaching the same grade and content area.

37. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 9, 2009

I still don't have a clue. They told us in January that we were going to have a contract, but no clue as the what school or what grade! YIKES! I think I may be at my school but the grade level is completely up in the air.

38. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 14, 2009

I found out yesterday I am staying!! I will also have the same grade:) I was originally counted as "too early to tell".

Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear.

39. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 14, 2009

I am 99% sure I will be moving from second to third. This group is our largest i our school. I moved to second this year to get out of fourth, couldn't take them anymore. I am excite, I loved third grade and this a good group overall. Now if I can just stay in third!!

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2009

That's great news, lemon!!

peggy-I'm glad that you're happy about the grade change.

41. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 14, 2009

Well..My situation looks like this..they have to cut 2 positions in our building cause of the budget cuts. There are a few options that the board can do...not the school board...we have building, liasons, so to speak that deal with the interworkings of the buildings, comprised of the P, a couple of teachers and a couple of parents/community members. They help to allocate who is in what subject area-the P does the final allocating. Anyway, there is a teacher who is in a 'discipline' teaching position and is also licensed in SS. If they get rid of the position he is in now..he bumps me from the dept and I lose my job. If they choose two that doesn't include him. I'm fine. They do a final vote around the first of May.