Staying focused on K..not 2nd..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherhoosier, Apr 15, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Apr 15, 2011

Well, it is a Friday afternoon, everyone's left at school (it's raining, so I'm not in too big of a hurry to get home, plus home alone since my family's in Gatlinburg)..looking at second grade stuff for next year instead of lesson planning for next week like I should have--such a messed up next week, though--author visit on Monday, Tuesday normal day, Wednesday out in the Am to observe a 2nd grade class, Thursday "normal" day, and Friday off for Good Friday...I counted today, I think I have 26 days left that will actually be spent in the classroom..crazy...

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

I hear you. It's the time of year I often start looking ahead to next year.

We have just 26 days left and either the class or I will be out of the classroom for ten of them, which means there are just SIXTEEN "regular" days left. Wow!

Actually, that knowledge is often enough to motivate me to conquer the lesson planning. The end is in sight!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I find that I do my best planning for next year right now when I am in the classroom and actively thinking about what works and what didn't work.

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 15, 2011

wow, I feel like the end is near, but we still have over 40 days.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

I'm changing subjects (same grade level) and I started planning this past week. I'm not feeling 100% confident about the new subject so I want to get a leg up. I totally understand what you're thinking.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I don't have a clue yet what I'm teaching. In fact, we haven't even officially been invited back for next year. That happens after Easter, and Easter is late this year.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 15, 2011

What's your new subject?

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

I'm teaching English. We had a reconfiguration- I'm certified K-6 but also middle level Science, SS, Math and Language Arts. Haven't taught it for a long time though so I'm looking for some ideas to make grammar interesting. It's easy to make science interesting!

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2011

I totally understand. I'm focused on Kinder when I should be worried about cramming for state testing since I only have 5 more days with my students to do so! It's really crazy that we have so few days left :) I think, for us, we have 30 days left together. But several of those are quickly disappering for the same reasons: testing, planning, observing, etc. I think it puts me down to about 23 or so...

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2011

I'm staying in the same grade level, but moving to a new classroom, that has a strange set-up. My brain has already moved on to "how am I going to make this new room not just work, but be great, because this is the room I will be in for a loooong time?!?"