Staying away from copies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

How do you do it? I want to master this to a fine art because... I make many copies every month, and I honestly don't think things are going to swing that way this year. Whatever suggestions you give, I will very much appreciate!

I have an Elmo, but I need other creative suggestions as well.

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

Individual white boards or chalkboards is the first thing that pops into my head!

4. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Color coded answer cards for understanding and review.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

Well, my copy machine has a button to put 2 pages on one side of a page (like 1/2 size). I make 1/2 the copies with that.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

When I need to give my students a handout, I shrink the type down to 9 point and use Publisher to put the front and the back side-by-side, which I then copy two-sided. I end up with a half-sheet mini-handout. Sometimes I have class sets that my students use, and I also post those documents on my Teacherweb page, so students can print out their own if they want them.

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

We are trying to cut back on copies at our school also. I am going to try to use my overhead more so that when the students have to copy things, I will still have my white boards up to go on to other things while slower writers can go back and finish on their own time.

Less copies = students writing more

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Can you elaborate on this?

Thank you all for your ideas. Hopefully I will do well this year with everything. :cool: I hope even more wonderful ideas come!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 13, 2009

If you have access to plain or colored paper, Dinah Zike's foldables are fun. I have two Alternatives to worksheet books that I love, but they are packed away so I can't get the author or isbn number for you.

Using paper plates, large and lunch sized paper bags, index card books, and envelope books are ways to get a grade-able finished product without using the copy machine.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I forgot about graphic organizers! If you use those for writing, make a class set and laminate them. The kids can use overhead markers or erasable crayons to get their ideas down on paper.

If you use any sheets in literacy stations, you could laminate one or put it in a page protector.

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 13, 2009

When I print my hand-outs, I copy them to be 2 pages on 1 sheet. When you double back this...you have 4 pages on 1 sheet of paper. I don't let my kids write on hand-outs anyways so this means I get 4 lessons out of it.

Having a smartboard or overheard projector works wonders too and saves on paper. also using large paper (its sold with lines, graph paper or plain and also sticks to board) to write out questions

12. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I laminate/print key handout on cardstock and reuse year after year. I also use white boards all the time or have students make their own mini booklets for certain topics (which uses paper, but save the ink.)

I need more ideas, too!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

I found that kids can write on their desktops with dry erase markers then they can use the baby wipes to clean them. They have a ball with it. I'd check my markers and wipes frist to make sure there's nothing permanent.

14. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

Ms. J.;
    When reviewing for a test or having a quiz you can make up questions and have A = red, B = blue, c = yellow, D = orange. This keeps the students focused. They also have to reply within a given time frame. The students pick their choice under their desk so others will not see the response. at your signal, everyone shows their answer.

15. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

* gives thanks for her P telling her to make as many copies as she'd like and backs slowly away from this thread *

16. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 15, 2009

We have projectors hooked up to our teacher computers, so I do powerpoints in place of worksheets sometimes... and I can upload the file to classjump and my students can get the file on the student computers and go through the powerpoint if they are not there to do it in class. It's great, because I use hyperlinks to go to right answer/wrong answer slides so that the kids can go at their own pace. And since my little kiddos are really good at displaying disappointment, I can see immediately who is not getting the right answers. I can't grade the powerpoints when students are done, but we have been told to cut back on the amount of graded assignments we are doing (focus on learning based activities and not grade based activities/assignments) so that really hasn't been a problem for me.

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 15, 2009

I would love to have a set of smart pals to use. But in the meantime I am using clear sheet protectors and slipping the worksheet or graphic organizer inside. Then I give my students a vis-a-vie pen to use. They think its the greatest thing ever.

I would really like a document camera to help save paper as well.