Staying after to help students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hp123, Feb 25, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

I'm wondering how many of you stay after to help students review for tests, help with homework...whatever.

3. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

It's part of the job.

4. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

I agree. Just wondered if it was mandated.

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 25, 2010

I usually encourage mine to come in before school since I'm there early. If they need to stay after, though, I just tell them to give me a head's up so that I can make sure I don't have any meetings or conferences to attend.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 25, 2010

I'm contracted to be at school until 3pm, last block is done at 2:41. Generally two days per week I stay after and offer help because my mom and dad get my kids off the bus on those days. Other than that, I need to leave so that I don't have two young children at home by themselves.

I am however at school by 6:30 - 6:45 each day, so should a student want help in the morning I'm available for over half an hour before needing to be in my homeroom at 7:20.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 25, 2010

I stay after everyday unless I have a meeting for at least 30 minutes, usually more.

8. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

Do you find students take advantage of this time?

9. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 25, 2010

I stay in my room at lunch and after school every day for extra help unless I have a meeting or other appointment (!), and I try to schedule those after 4:00 so I have time to help. I also get here by 7:00 AM, but as I tell the kids, there's no guarantee I'll be here in the morning - it's my time to run off papers etc. But there's usually a bunch of kids in here, morning and afternoon, either doing HW or getting help or helping each other.
    I like it - better than being in the faculty room at lunch (!) If my work is done, I can read the posts here - I consider this forum to be professional education (grin!)

10. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

If I am at school and not in a meeting, then there are students in my classroom. I like it, and many of them need to the place to study/do homework.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 25, 2010

Our contract day ends at 3:20. Very rarely do I leave before 4pm. Sometimes I have students, sometimes not. I have no problem sticking around to help a student.

A couple of times I've held evening sessions ... e.g. I come back up to my classroom at 7 and work with students. I've done this a few times for research papers. For some reason, students are sometimes more willing to do this.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2010

We are not mandated to be at school prior to school beginning, although I think it's generally accepted we should be there fifteen or twenty minutes before the students arrive, and we are free to leave with the students. It's very rare that I don't stay at least an hour, and of course sometimes I'm working with students. I've found that often students just want a quiet room to work in and not so much my help. But I'm there if they need it.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2010

Our contract stipulates that we stay until at least 3:15 (15 minutes after school) every day unless we're coaching.

I rarely get out before 3:40-- as someone else said, it's part of the job.

14. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

Our school has after school extra help offered, until 3:10 (school gets out at 2:30). It is, of course, up to the individual teacher if a student can come in, but (when I am not in a meeting) I usually have at least 2 or 3 students who are in my room after school 3 days a week (not always the same kids). Not many take advantage of this opportunity; some are forced to come by their parents and are not appreciative of getting extra help.

I actually had to kick a kid out today. He was forced to come by his parents and WOULD NOT accept any help from me, would not do the work on his own (because he didn't know how and wouldn't let me help) and was being disruptive to the other kids. Booger. :( Most kids are pretty good, since they know why they are there.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 25, 2010

I have to tutor before school because we have drama after school until at least 6 every day.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 25, 2010

My students use it a lot for papers and tests. I'll allow them to turn into me their test short answers (mini-essays really) ahead of time, so that I can read them or review them after school.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2010

My school runs a before and after school study hall. Teachers receive extra pay to staff both, and students who want a quiet place to work can go there. I rarely stay after school, mostly because I have young children at home, and quite frankly, the time between school and dinner is when I get to play, take them to the library, etc. I get to school a full hour before school starts (I am more productive in the morning), and I've made it very clear to both my students and their parents that if they need help, they are welcome to come see me. Some kids do, some don't. That being said, I will stay after school if a student arranges it in advance, not at the last minute.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2010

My contract time is up 14 minutes before the last class of the day is dismissed, and that's normally right around when I leave the building except when we have club meetings. It's a weird schedule. I'm permitted to leave "early" because my day starts earlier than anyone else's. I'm required to be in my room by 6:50 (classes start at 7:50), so students have that hour to drop in for extra help, retakes, etc. If a student wants to meet with me after school, I just ask that they give me notice so that I can plan to stick around. I also usually have my room open during lunch, and many, many students drop in during that time to just chill out in a quiet place, study together, and/or get extra help from me. It seems to work out well for everyone. :)

19. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

Maybe in theory, definitely not in practice.

Every school I've worked in has been a ghost town within fifteen minutes of the final bell.

If a school goes by one of these ridiculous block schedules, many teachers are gone to the mall by 1:00PM.

20. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

If someone has a last-period prep, he should also be there until 3:15.

Something tells me he isn't.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2010

You don't know my school.

We're the "School that never sleeps."

Last year I had to leave at the last bell every day for 6 weeks to receive radiation treatments. I OK'ed it with administration. Trust me: I was the only non-parent car leaving.

Also last year, for a while they relieved me of my 9th period study hall, and I was one of those teachers in the faculty room last period. I was one of a crew of about 8. No one DREAMED of leaving early (though some of the coaches did change in the last 5 minutes of the period.)

Each school has a different culture with different expectations. People applying to work at my school get the message pretty quickly, and I would imagine it's NOT the right place for a lot of people. But read how much I brag about my school; it's the right place for me.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2010

We are not to leave the school on our prep periods, regardless of where they fall in the day. Teachers with first period preps still need to be there, and those with last period prep need to stay. In exceptional circumstances, the principal may let a teacher go early to an appointment, but if that request is made too often it may become a problem (of course, in cases such as Alice's, it would be a non-issue).

23. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2010

I'm in my classroom at 6:30 a.m., teach straight through until noon, and have a sixth period prep. My day ends at 1:47, but I generally leave at 2:30 to beat the main dismissal traffic, or I end up staying until after 3:30. Rarely do my seniors come for extra help with anything; I usually have some making up tests during lunch on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (I require appointments) but then they're out of there. Most of our seniors are done with classes at noon and many have jobs to get to.

24. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 4, 2010

Our day starts at 7:15 and ends at 2:45. Kids arrive at 7:25 and leave at 2:00. I usually stay till 4:00. Very few of my students ever stay for help.

25. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 4, 2010

Our contract day ends at 3:30. Our student day ends about an hour or so before that. Yes, definitely available to help a student in need of assistance.

26. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Mar 4, 2010

My kids rarely stay for help but I often require them to come in and get it - before school if I find them, at lunch and after school. I work in the classroom and in resource so I spend lots of time working with kids on getting caught up.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2010

Tuesday after school, I helped 3 of my kids and 3 of someone else's kids (Algebra test yesterday.)

Yesterday I helped two of the same "other kids" and 2 of my own.

Today I helped 2 of my Geometry kids. (Geometry test tomorrow.)

Extra help is a way of life in my school. I write passes for the kids who will be late to practice; as long as it's written by a teacher, the kids are OK.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2010

I don't do it as much as I used to when I taught writing. That just took more time. I stay after if kids ask. Many times our kids can't stay after school because of transportation issues.

I have a little better luck getting them in early.

29. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Mar 5, 2010

I get to school about an hour or 45 minutes early (just by choice - I like having a quiet morning before the kids get to class!) and any student who wants extra help is allowed to come up to my room. Usually it is just the same few who take advantage of it. They may ask a couple of questions but mostly they just like having a quiet spot to do some homework. I have also offered to stay any time after school as long as it is arranged with me beforehand, and most days there is a late bus that will take kids home for free. Despite this, I have never had one student take me up on the offer (and this is with multiple failing grades due simply to missing work) :(

30. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 6, 2010

Wow.

Someone knows what he (or she) is doing at your school.

At almost every other school of which I am aware, prep time is OFF time (in violation of the contract, by the way).

31. mathman99

mathman99 New Member

Mar 11, 2010

I personally stay after school every day, thiat is, when students come to tutoring. I offer tutoring to anyone that needs a little extra help if they are able to come to my class after school. However, even though it's offered there are several days that i end up just leaving because no one came for the tutoring. Some days, like vefore a test, several will ask if i will help them, but rarely do they all come. I generally use the rule of thumb that if no one asks for help throughout the day, then i usually just plan on leaving. My opinion is to offer the help and leave it up to them if they want to take advantage of it.

32. etwilson

etwilson New Member

Mar 16, 2010

Staying After To Help Students Does More Than You Know

It would be slightly unfair of me to answer this question because I am still a student in the education field, that and I am studying to be a drama teacher. Drama teachers naturally have to spend LONG hours with students after school. However, my older sister is the head of the history department at my old high school and she spends just as much time as I will with her students after school. You might think history is one of those classes that most students don’t really get into because it never changes (that’s what I thought in high school) but Kyndall is able to engage her students in a way that I have never seen and it is because she is willing to stay after hours and help them as long as they need her. Yes it does it tiring and she is always working on something for school (even in the summer) but I know that when she sees the light bulb moment on the face of her students, it’s all worth it for her. So if the job starts getting to you just remember you aren’t alone and that your students love you for helping them. Maybe if I had had a few of those teachers I wouldn’t have struggled with deciding a major as long as I did. In the long run it is a reward for you and your students.:thumb:

33. think 2100

think 2100 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010

Not all teachers require tutorials at our school; I rarely do. But we do have to be there for help if they choose to come in. I think that mandatory tutorials for struggling students would be the way to go if we're serious about bringing their grades up.