Stay or leave?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, May 26, 2015.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 26, 2015

I work at a private preschool. I teach a PreK class until 2PM. I graduated college 2 years ago with a certification for preK-4th. I have been at this school for 2 years, I love the atmosphere and how many resources are available to the preschool teachers. However, I am ready to move on and the pay is not great at all...It makes me feel unworthy. I don't expect to get much of a raise for the new school year but I do know I have a job.We are getting our job descriptions soon. I am planning my wedding for next summer,moving and possibly will be looking for a new job. It will be busy...I told my assistant teacher I may start to look for a new position and she told me I was nuts to plan a wedding, move and start a new job all in a year. I would like to get an assistant teacher or one-on-one position in the public schools, I am not even concerned about being a head teacher in the public school yet... Should I stay or leave? I feel so torn...

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 26, 2015

Your assistant teacher has a good point -- any one of those things (moving, marrying, job switching) can be overwhelming. Combined? Very challenging! Not impossible, though, if you feel you need to.

I can understand that you want to move on, but I would be hesitant to take a job besides "head teacher". You have your teaching certification and experience teaching.
    I'm not sure how interviewers would feel if you asked for a position that is usually filled by someone without your education and experience. Might it appear as if you didn't do well teaching and are taking steps backwards? Just a thought.

If you like where you are and can afford to live on a low salary, I would probably stay for another year. Then, once you have moved and gotten married (congratulations, by the way!) you can turn your attention to job hunting and take a position that meets your needs and preferences.