Stations (Center)-need a little help please.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, May 19, 2007.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 19, 2007

This was the first year I did full fledge stations with my 2nd graders and it worked very well. I put students into 6 groups of 4. Each group had at least one high, one medium, and one low student. Each group had 2 stations to go to each day, which made 12 stations total on a 6 day rotation. During these stations I would call back groups for guided reading.

I created a bulletin board on my white board (magnetic) that helped us keep stations straight. All I would do was move the station cards down (rotating) while the student names stayed in the same position.

As I said, the stations worked wonderfully with my guided reading. I plan to do it again next year, but I want to split Math away from the stations. I want only Literacy Stations during our Literacy time, and to move Math/Science/Social Studies to when we are doing Math time.

Here's where I need the help. I have specific Literacy Stations that will be each week, with appropriate information switched to correlate with what we are studying. I'm going to do the same with Math. I need help figuring out more stations. I will post my Literacy and Math stations separately.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 19, 2007

Literacy Stations

Basket of Books (includes books on the unit of study that we are doing)
    Independent Reading (they fill out a form for this)
    Leap Pad
    Peer Resource Station (buddy reading or checking writing)
    Independent Writing
    Listening Station (they fill out a form for this)
    Computers (SuccessMaker-Reading or Knowledge Box)
    Word Study Station
    Word Wall Station
    Reading & Writing Around the Room
    File Folder Station
    Literacy Games
    Free Choice (?-every once in a while)

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 19, 2007

Math Stations -need the most help with this

Computers (SuccessMaker-Math)
    File Folder Station
    Flash Card Station
    Math Games
    Science/Social Studies (will change with whatever we're studying)

5. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 20, 2007

Miss W, I would like to do stations next year while I do reading groups, but it will be the first year trying them. I've always been nervous that it will turn into chaos without my supervising every move! You mentioned that your stations work very well, so I'd like to ask you some specifics about how you have set them up to work efficiently.
    *Do you start them at the beginning of the year?
    *How long do your students stay at each station?
    *Do you feel that you need to teach how to work each center, or are they pretty much the same format each time?
    * Are the students doing work there that you check and review or are they strictly centers with manipulative/games that review lessons?
    * what happpens What happens if students are done at the center before the alotted time is up?

Sorry so many questions. I just feel that if I'm going to try this, I want to do it right, so I figured I'd ask someone with experience!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I like many of you ideas for stations. How about a handwriting station with white boards? or you can buy one of those alphabet line charts from a dollar store, laminate. kids can use these to practice/trace with dry erase markers.
    Sorry I don;t have many ideas - I've never actually had centers before!

6. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 20, 2007

Another idea: a theater stations - kids can take the story they are reading in their reader, each student can play a different character and pretend to rehearse for a play. Its a fun way to practice fluency, and expression.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2007

I don't start full fledge stations until after the first 2 weeks. The first two weeks are all about teaching procedures, and that includes procedures for stations. I try to teach 2 new stations each day, and let the class practice those stations. Each day we add on new stations. So the first time we actually do stations, each group only goes to 1 station. We do that for one rotation (6 days), and then we add the second station.
    You need to teach specifics on how you want each station to look. For example, my Independent Reading Station has a specific sheet that has to be filled out. We practice as a class reading a book and filling out the form correctly.

My stations last for 1 hour, since I am also calling back Guided Reading Groups. I teach my kids that it is their responsibility to go to both of their stations in that time. Since they are with the same 4 people each time, they usually let me know when someone isn't doing a station correctly or at all. So I don't have a specific amount of time for each station, but a time limit to get them both done.

I think that you need to teach specifics to begin with, especially with this age. If I'm changing out the same station with new information, then no I don't reteach how to do the station. The kids will get used to those types of stations. When I introduce new stations throughout the year, I try to only introduce 2 in one week.

I try to have one station that they have something to turn in for me to grade. The second I try to be a fun type of game or activity.

I have a "Things To Do When You Are Done" poster that the kids look at. I think I got it through Scholastic, but I'm not sure. It lists: Read, Draw, Write, Study, Play, Help, Complete, Clean, Create, and a Blank spot. Each have 2 spaces underneath so I can write in specific activities. The kids know to do something on that chart whenever they finish early (anytime of the day).

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that this year, but it didn't really pan out. I do a daily handwriting practice as one of my morning work assignments, so the kids weren't really into it.

8. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 21, 2007

Miss W, thanx for the reply and specifics! It definitely helps me to plan this better...

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2007

It's really all about the pre planning. :D

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 21, 2007

Supersource books have math activities that are game based for partners and small groups. They also have great math board games for classroom use http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalo...e=2&pricerng=-1|-1&deptimage=Y&Go.x=10&Go.y=6

Another idea is to have bingo cards (make them or buy them) Instead of having them pull out numbers, they can pull out math problems (instead of a card that says 4, it would say 2+2) You can easily increase difficulty by adjusting the type o math problems and how many digits the bingo cards have.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2007

I love ETA, but it's so expensive.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2007

Okay, I'm working on Math station ideas.
    So far I've come up with these stations to add to my list above.
    Reading in Math (I don't like the wording on this)
    Pattern Blocks (1st month, then every once in a while)
    Art station (really that would be the only time for me to get in art projects)

I need at least 5 more sturdy math stations.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2007

Okay here's more:
    Graphing
    Sheet of the Week (worksheet about what we're studying in math)
    Weather Station

I need at least 2 more.

14. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 21, 2007

For math: "Its about Time" - Word problems dealing with time? Do you have Judy clocks?
    A station that reviews money? could be more like a store.

15. new2FL

new2FL Companion

May 21, 2007

How about Shoebox Math Centers by Scholastic? Also geoboards, various activities using counters (Teddy Bear counters has their own book of games), dice games, dominoes?

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 21, 2007

Manipulatives?

17. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 30, 2007

100 chart activities

We have partner games in math, like "top it": each kid flips a card and whoever has the highest # gets the cards...later in the year they each flip over two and add together before seeing who has the highest

The game SET is awesome. Google "set game"

exploring calculators

measuring

tangrams

We also play a game called in/out where they have 10 bingo dots and a cup. One kid hides some of the dots under the cup, the other counts how many are outside and figures out how many their partner hid in the cup.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 30, 2007

My first graders use to love to practice their handwriting on the overhead. I just had overheads made with paper lines on them. They loved them...they also loved "playing" with the teacher's overhead math manipulatives.

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

May 30, 2007

This is a piece of advice another teacher once gave me. Focus on the purpose, then the product. For example, think about which objectives/standards on which you want students to work. Make a list of them. Then, think of what activity will cover that objective.
    Mrachelle87 had a good idea of using the overhead as a center to practice handwriting. I mean what's the point of students sitting in their seats practicing handwriting when they could do it in a center and stay engaged.