State's Education Association

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 17, 2011

I didn't renew my membership to NEA and Oklahoma Educator's Association this year. Our dependents' insurance premiums increased, so my check is even less than it was last year. So, I didn't want to spend the money on the dues. But, I've been a member since I've been teaching, and now I'm having "what if I need it now" thoughts. I think my state's education association alone would be cheaper, but our building rep said I had to be a member of NEA and OEA. :confused:

Thoughts?

Beth

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

As a member of my district association, I am automatically a member of my state union and NEA.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

same as czacza.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

We are required to pay union dues. I could resign from the union, but I wouldn't save anything by doing so, and if I did, the union would still represent me in case of a dispute. It's weird.

6. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

We don't have unions in Texas, we just have teaching associations.

I'm a member of a state association (TCTA) and my district's chapter of that association. I've never been a member of a national association and don't understand why you would ever "have" to be.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2011

We also don't have a union, and I'm not a member of a teaching association. I was going to join but was told I'd have to join the NEA as well...it was, what, something like $500? I just wasn't up for that, but maybe one day...

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

Basically, since your state and local are affiliates of NEA, when you join your local, you are joining the others as well. NEA has set dues that we all pay, as does your state association, and your local probably does, too. When you pay dues to your local, they pay the state and NEA. So it's not so much that you automatically get membership with your local membership, as you are actually paying for all three.

I guess some states might have their own unions that are not part of NEA. But if your union is affiliated with NEA, you are in NEA.

NEA, or a state affiliation, only gives direct membership to retirees, students, and furloughed teachers. If you have the teaching job, you join through the local.

Forcing dues is called "fair share." Some states/districts only make you pay part of the dues, like my last district. This was because most of our dues and time were used for negotiating contracts. It's not fair when non-members benefit from that contract negotiation.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

Same.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 18, 2011

Call the state organization you want to join and ask them.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2011

Not a member of a union. No desire. I'm a charter school teacher & in my area, we are not union.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 18, 2011

Beth, I strongly suggest joining the OEA and NEA...Our "fab" new state supt. is out to close public education...she has a lot of changes planned in the next few years. We need to united to keep her from taking all of our rights.

13. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Sep 18, 2011

I totally agree with mrachelle. The current super wants to go to charter schools and do away with public which is not a good thing in my opinion

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 18, 2011

Bleh, I feel you guys are right. I really didn't want to shell out the extra money right now, but it might be worth it someday. Our new state supt. is a total idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you guys didn't already know that, lol. :p

Beth