States and Capitals for Pre-K

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gpsysngbrd, Jun 18, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jun 18, 2013

Had an interview yesterday for a VPK position and the director mentioned that she expects VPK classes to be taught states and capitals. Is this age appropriate? It just seems a lot for 4 year olds and could that time be better spent with language and math and social skills? I just feel like its one of those things that is like "Oh yeah you should bring your child here because we teach them the states and capitals". Ive taught Pre-K for 7 years and I'm not even sure where I should start with this!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

I do NOT feel it's age appropriate. They don't trulygrasp the concept of a map or globe and distance and location.

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 18, 2013

That's too advanced of a concept! They should be gaining a deeper understanding of their immediate community and their place in it.

It sounds like a way to impress potential clients with the school's "academics" rather than a developmentally appropriate learning experience.

5. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 18, 2013

I agree, not developmentally appropriate. As JustMe said, they don't even understand the concept of cities, states, countries, etc. I've had some pretty entertaining conversations with my preschoolers about these subjects. No way would I expect them to learn something so abstract!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

That doesn't sound like the kind of classroom I would want to teach in. My 5th graders last year were still grasping knowledge about the world and its environs.

7. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jun 18, 2013

Oh good. I'm glad atleast I THINK I know what I'm talking about. Let's work on personal space on the group time carpet before we get to states and countries LOL.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 18, 2013

I call those party tricks. Fun little things that grown ups whip out in a party situation in order to show the world the child is the smartest kid on the planet. UUUGGGGGG!

Perhaps the director is really looking to be able to show that your school is best at something. Find that something....and show it off to the hilt. And if you read a story about a place perhaps point to the map and talk a bit about it, run a postcard challenge. I am not morally opposed to letting the children in on the fact that there are places outside of the town they live in....but to learn them....on purpose......I think not.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2013

No no no, hell no.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013

Yes, to all of the above posters.

Preschoolers are capable of memorizing just about anything but we have to ask ourselves - what is the point of them memorizing things they don't have the ability to really understand yet.

Study their own community - appropriate.
    Follow a dad or mom's deployment on a map - sure.
    Discuss different countries and cultures - absolutely.
    Memorize states and capitals - ridiculous.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

Do they even know what a state is? I have taught PS their address for safety reasons.

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 19, 2013

This!!!

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

RIDICULOUS, BIG time!
    It's a show off stunt, just to impress parents who are into that kind of thing; bragging that their child is the smartest, and blah, blah, this, and blah, blah, that! Heck! At this age, some of them stick pick their boogers and eat them. The last thing on their minds are states and their capitals.
    Rebel1

14. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

when I was student teaching 3-4 year olds we did a nesting box concept.

the biggest box -Earth
    The next box - northern hemisphere
    Next- The United States
    Next- Connecticut- were I am
    next- Waterbury (the city the center is in)

We let the the kids see how everything nested inside the Earth and that we all had our place on the globe. But they all just liked the stacking and hiding aspect.

It seems that someone is over reaching for some special reason- and that is not for the good of the students learning.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I have done that nesting lesson, especially when checking to see if anyone was ready to learn their address. It is a neuron I like to open, however.....I don't expect but 1 or 2 to really catch it...and I move on quickly. The book that goes with that lesson "My Place on the Map" or "My Place in Space" is good for teaching kids how to draw maps. We had a great love of drawing maps....and that is sort of a skill that I fear maybe lost when everyone's phone can do it for you.