Statement of Philosophy

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

I am in the process of rewriting my philosophy of education. Most places I've applied to don't ask for it so I haven't really touched it since this time last year, but I'm currently making some mini portfolios (got the idea from other members!) to take with me on my interview this Wednesday and I'm including my statement. I would love it if people could read it and let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions.

I believe that in order for a classroom to run smoothly, it is important for the teacher and students to work together toward the common goal of learning. Of course, it is the teacher’s responsibility to plan appropriate activities that will allow all of the students to learn the material. The students, however, need to be allowed to take some control of their learning as well. The teacher should provide activities that allow the students to get hands-on experience with the material. The teacher should also allow the students to work through problems independently so that they can take responsibility for their own learning and take pride in their work.

It is important for teachers to remember that they are expected to teach all children. An essential element of being a teacher is being prepared to differentiate instruction to accommodate students of all learning abilities. To treat all students the same is to do a disservice to them. It is the teacher’s responsibility to assist his or her students in reaching their full potential and this can be accomplished by differentiating instruction.

Effective classroom management is the backbone of a successful classroom. There should be an understanding between the teacher and students about how the classroom will operate on a daily basis. It is important to have procedures in place in the classroom that the students understand. Having these procedures allows the teacher to take a proactive approach to classroom discipline rather than only reacting when there is a problem. When students are in an environment where they know what to expect from the teacher, and what the teacher expects from them, they are more comfortable with their surroundings, major problems are less likely to arise, and all of the students are able to realize their full potential.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2006

I like it!

Paragraph 3, after "the same", should that comma be there?? I'm math, so feel free to correct me, but it seemed misplaced.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

Thanks.
    As for the comma...I'm not really sure! haha I hadn't thought anything of it before, but now that you point it out it does look out of place.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

Anyone else with any other suggestions?
    I'm trying really hard to set myself apart from other applicants so I want everything to be perfect! :)

6. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 25, 2006

Beth I really like your statement. I think it's great that you mentioned differentiated instruction in there and you also mentioned the importance of classroom management and what is needed to effectively manage a classroom. I was just reading the classroom mgmt unit in my Harry Wong "The First Days of School" and you pretty much described exactly what Wong tries to get across in one short paragraph. I do agree w/Alice in that the comma seems out of place.

What all are you going to include in your mini portfolio? I'm in the process of putting one together (even though I don't have everything with me here in Ohio)... I think you got the idea from the same thread that I did!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

We probably did get it from the same place! I thought it was such a terrific idea and I had really never thought of it before. I'm not really making it cutesy with pictures or anything like that. I have a cover page with my name and contact info. and at the bottom I listed what is included in the portfolio so that it's easy to see from the cover what is in there. I included my resume, references, copy of license, statement of philosophy, and five letters of recommendation (my 3 current ones and 2 others from last year). It's mainly all things that were included in my original resume packet (minus the philosophy and the 2 extra letters) but I figure it will make an impression if I bring the mini portfolio to leave with them.

Oh, and I've already removed that comma! :)

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

Thank you, by the way.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2006

Your statement was absolutley great!

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

Thank you!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2006

I don't think the comma belongs.....but other then that it looks great.
    Good luck Beth!!!!! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way on Wednesday. Keep us posted!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2006

oops..........I missed where you said you already removed it!!! LOL!