Stated Schools and Professional Reputation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by senseijoao, Nov 8, 2008.

1. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

Hey all,

I just found out that the school I'm working for is going to be stated sometime next year. It's a rumor right now, but I'm pretty sure of it since it squares up with a lot of other information I've heard.

If a teacher is working for a school that gets stated, is there a stigma on your resume? Does it affect one's professional reputation?

What can be done if I'm planning on job searching in the following year?

Thanks for your feedback.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

I've never heard that term before-- what does it mean to be "stated"???

4. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

Having the feds come in and manage the school for you. It's an NCLB consequence for not reaching API goals for about 4 consecutive years.

I'm a math teacher, so I'm not particularly worried; but the elective teachers are sweating.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

Well, it cannot be good. OTOH, given the number of schools that aren't making AYP, I doubt it will make much difference in you ability to land a job, particularly if you teach math. There have to be a lot of good teachers in low performing schools. I would be more worried about whether I would have a job next year. When the state takes over, it can result in any or all of the teachers and administrators being fired and a new bunch hired.