State Textbook Review Committee

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jul 5, 2009.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

So I've been selected to be on the state textbook review committee for the upcoming ELA textbooks, and our evaluations begin tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it, but I don't have any clue what to expect! Has anyone else done this sort of thing before?

I've served on the district adoption committee, but I'm sure this will be a much more intense process.

I'm excited. :D

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Wow - that sounds like quite an honor :) And it also sounds like a great opportunity to network with other teachers.

Like you, I have only served on district committes, so I have nothing to offer in way of expectations but I am sure it will be fun. :)

4. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Not on the committe, bandnerd, but just rooting for you to do a good job! I thought about doing it or at least applying for it, but I didn't.

I am in Texas, so I want you to do a good job! ;)

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I'm fascinated by the entire concept really. So your committee determines what books are acceptable for your entire state? Or am I misunderstanding how the process works?

In Illinois, it's entirely done district by district. I wanted to use a new textbook series for my government classes, and all I had to do was run it by my principal who looked over the book, and placed the order.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

We have textbook adoption committees in Indiana too. We are only allowed to chose our texts from the approved book list put out by the Indiana DOE. We even have publishers that create Indiana adoptions of their text - Glencoe does this and so does Prentice Hall. This is done on a six year rotation so this year we adopted new SS books so we will have these books for six more years before we can get new ones.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

INteacher, from what I understand, that's how it will be done here, too. We'll have to narrow the field down to 4 or 5 books, I believe, and then the districts can choose from there. Like Indiana, we get "Texas" specific books.

I'll let you know more about the process as I find out. I'm not allowed to talk about the specific books or their content, but I can talk about the process.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I served on a state textbook committee several adoption cycles ago. We spent the day going through the books, evaluating different items. I remember having to check 5 random pages in each book for the number of illustrations that had captions, how many minorities and handicapped persons were depicted, how many paragraphs were under each heading...things like that. When I finished with the book I handed it to another person at my table who did the same thing.

We were told that all of the data sheets we compiled would be put together and the books would get a score. I think it was the 3 highest scoring series were the ones that would be adopted at the state level.

It was really interesting and what came out of it was a list of books that the state had approved from which districts could use their funds to purchase.