State Tests

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Mar 15, 2010.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Mar 15, 2010

Do any of you play games to practice for state tests? I would love to hear your ideas.

3. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Mar 15, 2010

I made an Easter Egg Hunt that has sample state tests questions in them. There's lots of ways you can do that.

4. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 15, 2010

I have and will again play jeopardy. Just make some categories, numbers and operations, measurement, algebra, etc and make up some questions. Played on a pocket chart.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Mar 16, 2010

I play "four corners" with my kids after they had done a bunch of review questions, I label each corner of my classroom with the letters ABCD and they move to the corner of the of the answer that they choose. This year I have a LCD Projector so we'll probably do some questions from study island on the projector, and they have cards that I they keep at their desks with the letter choices that they can hold up.

6. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Mar 23, 2010

easter egg hunt

what grade?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

Slight hijack:

My 10 year old daughter was up at 10 pm last night, in tears. She's worried about the state tests.

She's an A student.

Does anyone ELSE think that's a little too much pressure?????

8. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Mar 23, 2010

Alice, I can completely sympathize with you. My 8 year old didn't want to go to third grade because of the state tests. She's an A student, but is still terrified that she'll have to stay in 3rd for not passing them...:confused::confused::eek:

9. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

I hate state testing

I would love for someone to a thesis on state testing. Ask teachers ahead of time how their students will do in the different tests and then see how close they are. All the money wasted and all the time wasted on state testing could be eliminated. So many teachers are teaching children how to take tests, but not how to think on their own.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

I don't think the kids get their attitudes from the tests themselves; I think someone in that building is infecting the kids with fear.

And the reason we HAVE state testing, of course, is because they're an attempt to cure the many problems that exist in education. Are they a cure? Of course not. But NOT TESTING wasn't working either!

11. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

I have yet to figure out how these tests are supposed cure the problems in education. Any hints?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

I think the general idea is to guarantee minimal competancy.

13. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

How does proving that some students don't have minimal competency gaurantee it? I am pretty sure that my dog can't play the oboe, but knowing this is not helping me figure out how to remedy the situation.
    There are tests, certainly, that help diagnose reading issues and learning disabilities, but the state tests don't fit this description.

14. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

checkout what private schools are doing

The better private schools are not teaching the test. They do not spend over half the grade school year getting ready for a test.