State Tests are Over. Now What?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Genmai, May 1, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

May 1, 2010

My kids finished the all-important state tests this week! Given what was covered, I feel pretty depressed about how poorly I prepared the kids.

The big question now: What do I do for the rest of the year? Yes, there is still curricular material to cover, and we still have the final. But the kids are completely burnt out on testing, and I'm feeling pretty worn down too. I have 2 whole months left, and the kids are already starting to go berserk.

As a 7th grade math teacher, I want to prepare them for next year. How can I best use my time?

:help:

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 1, 2010

Now is when you get to actually teach. Don't worry about what's on the test. Teach what you think is important. Have fun with it, make it real. This is my favorite time of year as a teacher.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

Absolutely. What's left on the curriculum?

5. Genmai

Genmai Companion

May 12, 2010

Oh man, the kids are growing unrulier with each passing school day! Because we heavily emphasized the importance of the state tests, having it behind us has put the kids into vacation mode. The bad attitudes and disrespectful behavior are falling to new depths.
    :dizzy:

At my school, testing is done 2 grades at a time. We started with 8th and 7th the first week. The following week it was 6th and 5th grade. This week, the 4th and 3rd graders are finishing up. Because administration mandated no class switching due to testing, the 7th graders have NOT had any formal instruction for THREE weeks. (Is this standard practice?) Next week, the school returns to regular scheduling, and I'm really dreading the chaos that will follow.

On the curriculum, I have probability and data analysis. Because we spent so much time on test prep, the kids will need refreshers on older topics for our last round of district level exams and our finals (testing is making me insane!)

I want to finish the school year with some semblance of professional competence. My classroom management has been absolutely wretched, and I don't know what to do at this point. While I have a strong idea of how to improve next year, I doubt the higher ups will renew my contract due to my inability to control the kids. Because we still have 2 more district level tests, I need to keep the kids motivated somehow. I'm really, really drained right now and need advice.