State test scores came back... Good news and bad news

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsTeacher2Be, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 29, 2009

Only one of mine failed! :2up: My mentor teacher had 2 fail (but she had WAY more students test than I did), and our lead teacher had 0 fail, so out of the entire 9th grade, only 3 failed. :celebrate:

That's the good news....

Everybody else (i.e. the 10th, 11th, and 12th graders who didn't take/pass Algebra I in the 9th grade) did not do so well. Our school had a total of 95 fail, only 3 of which were from 9th grade. So that means the other 2 Algebra I teachers who teach the rest of the testers, had 93 flunk between them. Ouch. I can't imagine how stressed out they are. These kids have all failed at least one high school math class (some have taken Algebra I several times...), but still, that's A LOT to fail.

3. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Congrats!!!!

That is awesome to hear :)

Do you know what, if anything, the other Algebra II teachers do wrong?

Whats your secret??

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 30, 2009

My grade level had the highest results this year, also. Congratulations to you, though! Hopefully your school is focusing on the positive right now, despite the challenges it is also facing.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

Congrats!!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 30, 2009

Congrats to you, but ouch for the others. I think, though, that they had the deck stacked against them, if they had the kids that have already failed the subject at least once, or were behind and couldn't take the course "on time". That's one thing to consider before looking at the numbers.

Maybe its time for you school to consider a full fledged remediation program? That's what we did at my middle school. We did an intensive remediation program, meeting the kids were they were and then building them up from there. For some of those kids, that meant starting over in first grade math. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it when we raised our school grade from and F (and over 100 points from a D) to a B (and only 14 points from an A) in only two years.

7. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I don't know if they necessarily did anything wrong per se. Like mm said, the deck was stacked against them to start with. Their students were really quite low (some can't add or subtract simple numbers without a calc), plus they were both first year teachers having a hard time with classroom management (and it certainly didn't help that many of their kids were major discipline problems). I certainly have no secret, just lots of hard work, prayer, and tears over it. I had 7 (out of 29) that I was really worried about, so I was just stunned to hear that only 1 failed.

That's awesome! I would really like to hear more about what your school did with their middle schoolers. It sounds like something we could definitely benefit from.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Congrats to you and your grade level. Hopefully some help is given to the other students.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I don't think this one is about the teachers doing anything "wrong."

Those kids who have already failed Algebra I already are the kids who struggle with math to begin with. Throw in some low self esteem (as in "oh, yeah, I can never pass math!!"). Then add in the fact that these older kids are probably taking a number of state tests that the Freshman don't have to take. Oh, and the fact that a number of them probably have committments outside the school day that the younger kids don't have.

As much as we would love to think that we can make everything right, it's seldom as cut and dried as "good" or "bad" teaching.

(Though throwing 1st year teachers into that situation is probably not the best way of ensuring success-- either for the teacher or the kids)

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 2, 2009

What are the best techniques to get kids away from either a "fear of math" (I'm guilty of that) and the low self-esteem with math?

I haven't taken any education classes yet as I will when I start my Masters, but I am just curious.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

gotta run; 2 doctor's appts today.

I'll get back to you later, OK? :)

12. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Congratulations - that is awesome!! I feel for the others though - how disappointing for them. Our scores are due any day now, and I am especially anxious as this was my first year in a new school.