State History!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2007

Which of you have state history as your history curriculum in fourth grade? I do.

I wrote something last night that might help you in instructing state history. Feel free to add to it! It's about what to think about when teaching about your state.

-Which city is the oldest in your state? If you’re in Florida, you’re in great luck- St. Augustine is also the oldest city in the United States!
    -Have your students learn about local government as well as the executive and legislative branches in your state.
    -If possible, have them meet the mayor of your city! My students actually had the opportunity in the 2006-07 school year.
    -Teach about the Indian tribes that dwelled in your state at one time as well as those who still reside in your state now.
    -Was your state on the Union or Confederate side during the Civil War? Or had your state not joined the Union yet?
    -What wars did your state fight in?
    -What laws were made in your state’s history?
    -Who are the people in your state’s history? For Florida, we have Henry Flagler, Osceola, Thomas Edison, Andrew Jackson, Ponce de Leon, Pedro Menendez de Aviles, Henry Plant, and many others.
    -How about cultures? In Florida, we have a Greek culture in Tarpon Springs.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

Fourth grade is ALL about Ohio!

I use many of the ideas you listed above. Our mounds from the Moundbuilders are some of the most famous in the world.

We also claim Thomas Edison! There are some unsavory details about him, but I don't share those with the kids!

Other famous Ohioans: the Wright brothers, Annie Oakley, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Tecumseh, many presidents (but some I'd rather not claim), Jack Nicklaus, Clarence Darrow, Eddie Rickenbacker, Jesse Owens, Virginia Hamilton, etc.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I love Arizona history! Native Americans are a huge part of our curriculum. Also that Arizona was part of Mexico for so long, so missions, explorers, etc are big. Famous people include Sandra Day O'Connor, Kit Carson, Geronimo, Cesar Chavez, and lots more Native American figures.

5. shopaholic

shopaholic Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

We teach state history in our school. I have the privilege of being part of a federal grant on teaching american history to children. We just had a weeklong summer institute. It mainly had to do with teaching children to look at history through different perspectives. Show them many books about the topic. Get pictures off of the internet, etc. Really ask them to think about what they are learning in a whole different way. Not just memorizing dates and places. Really cool stuff!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Fun, fun, fun!!

I enjoy teaching about Thomas Edison and how he had so many patents. It fascinates my students that electricity would be very much different without his inventions.

You can claim Thomas because of Milan... but we have a little bit of his contributions down here, too! :) Actually, NJ can also claim him.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

I'm excited that I will be teaching California history to my 4th graders this year as I loved studying about the Missions, the Gold Rush and the early Native Americans and their culture.

8. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

We teach Texas history! Native Americans, French and Spanish Explorers, and the Alamo. We even take a trip to the Alamo in the spring. It is an hour and a half away, but it is so much fun!