State Assessments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dianejw, Nov 16, 2003.

1. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Nov 16, 2003

I was wondering if anyone knows how different states are faring with their elementary state assessments when compared overall to other states nationally. Are there any states that seem to be further ahead academically than others? If there are some states ahead of others, what do you attribute that to?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 16, 2003

I know that, as a whole, Illinois did pretty badly... most of that attributed to Chicago Schools, most of which did not pass (well, at least had one "group" that didn't pass")... I have so many issues with them, though... aargh!

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 17, 2003

NY is okay so far, but a recent article in my city's newsppaer suggests the standards/NCLB movement is going to wreak havoc on everything. It predicts the majority of schools, city AND suburban will be SRAP schools relatively soon (within the ten year period) because the testing expectations are too high, especially where SPED students are concerned.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 17, 2003

agreed. Why do they expect our kids who haven't even been speaking English for a year, or who CAN'T read the material thrtough no fault of their own to pass... and then decide to label the school as failing if theyhy don't? That's setting ALL of us up for failure if you ask me...

6. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Nov 17, 2003

One fourth of my fourth graders this year are SPED and are functioning several levels below grade level. Still, here in Ohio, they have to take the fourth grade proficiency test. They do have accomodations made such as having the questions read to them, but the students are still responsible for reading the text by themselves. Most of the SPED students shut down as soon as they come to a word that they don't know. I wish the SPED students could take the test based on the grade level they are functioning at or maybe have their scores based on improvement from the previous years. Even if the rest of my students pass, which is highly unlikely, I am still only looking at a 75% passage rate. Our school building is in continuous improvement, but our district is in academic emergency, so there is a lot of pressure on everyone to improve proficiency scores.

7. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Nov 18, 2003

We have a small school. Our academics may be fine, but if we have a couple of students drop out, it will blow our results. So unfair! We have to base our results on at least 2 years, and sometimes 3 to get enough students. It's pretty scary.

8. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Nov 18, 2003

I am also from Ohio. Our school is also in academic emergency. IN the past we have been in continuous improvement until they made it a law that Special Ed. kids had to pass the tests. Ohio standards keep changing and changing. Some schools rate better than others. Some schools teach right to the test. It is just getting crazy. We just received a book of standards and that is what we are supposed to be teaching to now. I teach 2nd grade, so my students don't take the tests, but we prepare them for it.

9. HeatherRae

HeatherRae Rookie

Nov 20, 2003

ellen_a You used a couple of acronyms in your message. What do they mean? I'm a brand new NY teacher -- 5th grade just got done taking the state SS tests today. It's been a very stressful week in my wing.

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 20, 2003

NCLB--No Child Left Behind (legislation)
    SRAP--School Requiring Academic Progress (if your school fails to make AYP, effective AYP, or safe-harbor while meeting the science score for two consecutive years, it becomes a SRAP school and parents can choose to send their children elsewhere)
    SPED--special education
    AYP--adequate yearly progress

Hope that helps. What area of New York are you teaching in?

11. HeatherRae

HeatherRae Rookie

Nov 20, 2003

Thanks -- all makes perfect sense now.
    I'm teaching in the fingerlakes region/central NY.
    You?

12. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 21, 2003

I'm near Buffalo student teaching, though I'm originally from Rochester. :)