Starting to Think About Relocating

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heatherberm, Sep 8, 2014.

1. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 8, 2014

Hi, gang. My husband and I are coming to grips with the fact that we're probably going to have to move from our beloved Buffalo in order to find full-time work. Most of the markets that always come up as good teaching markets are in the south, but we're a cold weather family with a cold weather dog and, if possible, would really prefer to relocate somewhere where we're still going to get some snow.

With the caveat that I know the teaching market isn't great anywhere, we've been wondering about some of the Midwest states, particularly Wisconsin and the Dakotas, and maybe even into Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. Any idea what the teaching markets are like in that area? Are there parts of those states that are better than others job-wise? Any parts of those states that are growing? If you live there, how do you like it? At this point we probably wouldn't make a move until next school year, but I'd like to narrow it down to a few states so that I can do some more research and start the process of getting licensed in other states. My New York certifications are in elementary ed and elementary special ed if that helps. (Or most likely, doesn't help. :p)

I grew up in the southeast and my husband, outside of a couple years, has always been in Buffalo so that part of the country is totally new to us. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 8, 2014

I always like to plug my Nebraska. The teaching market is fairly stable, but tight. The pay is meh, but the COL is low. Other markets are growing as well. Western Nebraska is always expanding and looking for young professionals. It is highly possible that if your husband works in a field that is needing employees, that company will work with a school to find a job for the spouse.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2014

There are jobs in Western North Dakota, but the cost of living is high and housing is scarce...like tin-hut-dorms scarce.

5. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 8, 2014

The pay isn't so great but western NC get lots of snow in the mountains. NC is also experiencing an exodus of teachers so it will be easier to find a job.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 8, 2014

Try Salt Lake City, Utah.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 8, 2014

Texas has (almost) always had a good market for teachers, at least in big 4 cities and their surrounding areas, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. There's a high demand for special ed all over the state!

8. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 8, 2014

I have no midwestern advice, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. My family lives in upstate NY and the schools there are amazing. I would love to teach in any of them, but never even get interviewed for a position! When I moved to CA, I got interviews about 1/3rd of the time as a brand-new teacher.

9. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 8, 2014

Hi heatherberm, I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I live in NYC and it is so incredibly difficult to find a job even with a general education and special education certification. My bf and I have been thinking about relocating to the south just because it is so incredibly difficult in NYC. I still can't believe that with all the schools in NYC and NYS that it would be this difficult to find a job, but I guess that shows you just how competitive it is in our state.

10. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for the input, everyone. I took some notes. Some of this was really helpful. But bandnerdtx, there's no snow in Texas. ;) (I have some good friends in Texas but I'm just not sure any of us would deal with the heat well. If I could just move you all a little north...)

Let me add one more. Anyone know anything about the market in Maryland these days? I put in an application with Baltimore City last month but didn't really pursue since moving at this point would be a bit of a logistical nightmare for us. Maybe in the spring I'll look at it again more closely.

11. ST13

ST13 Companion

Sep 9, 2014

In your shoes!

I've been looking on Long Island for two years. Also, thinking of relocating. Although I am opposite I would love to get away from the snow/cold! Thinking of going down to NC.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2014

Just so you know, we do get snow in Texas. It's enough for me. We moved to West Texas 6 years ago. Every year but this past one it has snowed twice a year. I hate that white stuff and any as far as I am concerned is toooooooo much!

13. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 9, 2014

txmomteacher2, I had no idea! I think we'd still prefer a colder climate overall, but that's definitely good to know.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2014

You would probably hate the heat like I hate the cold. There is a reason I live in Texas and its not to be cold from October to May.

15. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 9, 2014

I grew up in Birmingham, AL but hadn't been home in the summer since I moved away in 2000 until a month or so ago. I've definitely lost all ability to cope with the heat and humidity. I spent the entire week complaining about how I wasn't getting enough air in the back of the car.

16. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 9, 2014

Baltimore City just emailed to see if I'd be interested in being put in for an elementary ed opening. So hey, we'll see what happens!