Starting to look early for 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LATeacher, Dec 22, 2012.

1. LATeacher

LATeacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2012

Hi everyone! I'm going to be moving from LA to San Diego over the summer and am looking for a teaching job down there. The problem is, I would like to have a job set up before I move, but there are no current job openings posted yet (way too early).

Has anyone had experience/success with contacting principals or department heads before jobs were posted, just to get in touch with them and let them know, "I'm interested in working in your school, I know you don't have any openings posted yet, but here's my resume in case something opens up"? If you've done it, how early did you make contact (Jan/Feb or later in the spring)?

I want to be proactive and get myself out there instead of waiting for openings, but I've never been in that position before and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

3. LATeacher

LATeacher Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

I don't live in San Diego yet either, but I'm hoping if I say, I'm moving to the area in June, etc. then it will work out better. I had bad luck with moving from RI to LA a few years ago applying for jobs but I also didn't do anything as proactive as e-mailing the principal.

Do you live in LA now?

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 26, 2012

I live in the OC and commute to Northern San Diego County to work. Cross my fingers that I find a job closer to home -- this year this 145 mile daily commute has got to stop. . . .there may be at least one opening in no. san diego county this year. . .

last year I saw jobs pop up really early I would look every so often on edjoin and craigslist.

5. DisLauraT

DisLauraT Rookie

Dec 31, 2012

Joining in this conversation...
    I am looking in the Orlando, FL area: relocating from Chicago, IL. I can't afford to move without a job lined up either.

I found that last year, most districts aren't even thinking about jobs for the following year. I guess it doesn't hurt to be proactive!

6. ca209

ca209 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

What is a good site to look at? So far I have looked at Craigslist and Edjion? Edjoin seems to be California only. What are some other sites that I should be looking at?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2013

It won't hurt to let them know you're moving and interested in a job for the next school year. I know in my district we don't get our contracts until mid March though.

8. redtop

redtop Companion

Jan 31, 2013

Several years ago, I contacted a number of vice-principals of schools in my area, and I was told that it didn't hurt to drop off a resume. One even told me that he asks the office person who receives the resume what the dropper-off looked like, how they presented themselves.

OTOH, it's hard to imagine blanketing schools with emailed cover letters and resumes if they don't even have openings.

Or is it really such a bad idea?

Is it more "Proactive and shows energy" or "Desperate and annoying?"

In my case, it would be almost impossible for my wife to visit all the schools she might want to teach in, because she's open to a large number of cities, widely spread apart, none of which are within driving distance of where she lives, even if she owned a car.

What does anyone think? Good idea to email a cover letter and resume even if there's not an opening posted?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2013

yes...it's a good idea that has worked for many here.