Starting to get comfortable

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

Today was day #9 of classes.

We're finally getting to the point where we're a little comfortable with each other.

I'm learning names. Not as quickly as I like-- it's one of the hardest parts of the new school year for me. But I'm learning them, and the kids are incredibly patient as they see me trying.

I'm at the point where they know when I'm kidding around, so I can bust their chops a bit. And where they're not afraid to kid around a bit with me. Better yet, they're realizing that they can hazard a guess. And that if I do bust their chops, it's all in fun.

It's so nice when you get past all that newness to a place of comfort. I'm not quite there yet, but we're getting there.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

I can't wait until a few weeks from now. Right now they're babies pushing the limits..and this group has had a reputation since kindergarten. I'm exhausted, hopeful,and drawing lines in the sand.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2012

Alice... I'm glad you're getting comfortable.

I'm afraid we're past the honeymoon stage. Emails and phone calls starting to pour in.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

I'm with ya, czacza! I'm in my pjs already and counting my blessings for this 3 day weekend! I have a good group so far (for the most part) but they do have a reputation...and so do some of their parents!!!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

I have a 4 day weekend.:whistle:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

This exactly where I'm at--although mine are in grade 6.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

This is me. 3 phone calls today alone :tired:

Luckily, they have all been productive :) (Mostly, anyway. One parent said "we are best friends" referring to herself and her child. No wonder she is having problems with her :dizzy:)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

By the end of the second week, I was back in the groove. We just finished our 5th week. I know all their names when they are in their seats, but I'm hit and miss with them when they're in the hallway. I've already had one go to the alternative school, and one (not even mine) called me a name that wouldn't make it through the filters if I posted it. (I've only been called that name twice in my life, and the other time I'll admit that I probably had it coming.:whistle:) Due to that issue, two girls had to be separated, and I got the drama queen who can't get along with anyone. I think I'd rather have gotten the one that called me the name. :rolleyes:

My best class is my reading club. They read. They never talk, even when I tell them that they can talk. They're eerily quiet. I would say that the only sound in the room is the flipping of book pages, but we're all reading on e-readers, so we don't even have that. :thumb:

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 14, 2012

I had the names mastered day #3. It is day #7. 4 out of 5 of my classes are angels. The other class isn't bad, they just don't shut up. The only way to shut them up is standing right next to the offender. Even that class though is hard not to love because of all the characters...definitely more laughs than the other classes.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2012

There is something nice about being in that place of comfort.

For my class, that means being extra chatty. Quiet often. They are a pretty good group of kids, but it's really frustrating when my signals (I use 2 different ones) are not working, even after regrouping, reviewing, and modeling...Patience, patience, patience. ;)

13. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 14, 2012

I know all about not knowing the names as well as I would hope at this point.

I've got about 5 in two classes that look to alike for me to be able to tell who is who. grrrr, I like knowing everybody's name for when I pass back the first test on Monday. We'll see how it goes

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

I'll work on that as they take their first test on Wednesday. I warn them that I'll be staring them down as they take the test, and not to read anything into it if they look up and see me staring at them. Inevitably one or two do, and I always get a chuckle out of them.

Of my 190 or so names, I probably know about 120 at this point, as long as they're seated. (And then, of course, there are all those juniors I taught last year, the seniors I taught last year or the year before, and those 300 or so kids in the NHS I'm moderating. And the kids I just know because I know them. There are a LOT of names in my school of 2600 kids.:lol: )

But I do love getting past that beginning "oh,so polite" stage to the point where they're comfortable asking a "dumb" question or hazarding a guess that may very well be wrong. We laugh a lot in my classes once we get past the polite stage. For some reason, the change was palpable yesterday.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 15, 2012

I always feel for the middle and high school teachers getting to know 120+ names in a year. And it ALWAYS impresses me that not only do you remember names, you remember the kid.
    I get to know the whole 5th grade-about 100 kids, but by name only. I know my class very well, though!
    I am getting more and more comfortable with my class this year every day. I have a great class, with really good personalities!

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

The behavior in the room was a lot better Thursday and Friday, we seemed to be getting into a better routine, even in the morning. I'm thankful for the 4 day weekend but I feel like it's going to set us back a bit. That's a long time for them to be away from school so early in the year.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

Alice---I'm right there with you! I have many students who were unsure of themselves and afraid to participate this year. They are finally starting to warm up and try.