Starting to get angry...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Learner4Life, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

Alright, I'm being stupid and I know it but I'm starting to get irritated with my school!!!! I interviewed for a 3rd grade position on Friday at 10:00 and they told me that they wanted to know by the end of the day but they weren't guaranteeing anything until Monday. I didn't hear by Friday so now I've been going over everything in my mind all weekend long.

I've worked there for 2 years. Not only have I been a para-pro at this school but I've also been a Jr. High Track coach, summer library program coordinator, and after school program teacher and aide. I also got a huge group of people to come out and help with the playground build that we did in August.

I KNOW that they did not interview anyone with as much experience at this school as I have because I'm the only aide that got an interview and I am the only person (sub, para, or otherwise) that has done this much!!!!

SO WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?!?!?! Seriously, in my mind, this decision should be a no-brainer! They can't afford to hire anyone with more than one year experience (I've never officially taught before).

And the more I think about the possibility that they may not hire me, the more it makes me sick. They know that I've wanted a job for years and both my super and principal are references of mine and have both written letters of rec. for me.

The more I think about it, the more upset I get. If I can't even get a job in a school where they know me and my teaching abilities, what am I going to do with myself?!?!?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

Wow. I'm sure the weekend has been tough for you. I really hope that your school makes the right decision.

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Last year I aided at a school. Went way beyond my job duties. Most of the classes were combined classes and I taught one of the grades. It got to the point that I was designing the lessons and often times teaching in the library. I just happily went along, knowing that they were hiring two teachers for the upcoming school year. I was told that I had it by the principal and school director. Went to the interview, felt great next day went to work and was told they had to choose someone else.

I know one of the positions went to a student teacher, that I had seen teach, and it was scary. She had no classroom management. Never did find out who the other person was because once the school year was over I never went back. It was so hard not to walk off the job right then, but I went with professional.

I hope that yours turns out better, I really do. It was a very hard blow to take and I'm not even sure why it happened. No one would tell me any thing. Talk about an awkward for weeks.

5. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

I hope you hear good news on Monday.

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

I suppose I am very thankful that school is out and I do not have to go to work with the students and teachers tomorrow. Several have asked me to contact them to let them know whether or not I got the position.
    Which is what kills me even more!!! The teachers are all backing me! They want me there as much as I want to be there!

I'm sorry your situation turned out the way it did Mego. How did you keep teaching after that??? My self esteem and confidence in my teaching abilities is pretty wrapped up in this.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I know I am a great teacher and once I stopped holding out for that job I realized how horrible of a school it really was and am happy that I did not end up there. It was a charter school and even though I agreed with what they said on paper did not agree with the administration. But, I was a bit bitter too. I pretty much try to forget that whole time. I can't believe the amount of stuff they pushed me into and then stabbed me in the back the way they did. Not the place I want to work.

I really hope that you hear good news tomorrow. I feel that the person who has done the most work at the school generally deserves it. That's why credentialed teachers take aide positions!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2009

:hugs: Learner! I know how frustrating the wait must be for you. Here's to hoping for great news first thing tomorrow morning!

9. tsol

tsol Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

I was an aide in a kinder class for two years. I had my Masters and the teacher was a young barely out of school teacher who really wanted to prove herself but was way over her head. I helped her organize herself and the classroom. The third year, there were three long term sub positions at our school. She was having her first child and told me from day one that she wanted me to be the long term sub. So we prepared everything for the following September and guess what? Two of the positions went to the aides but not me?! The teacher and the principal did not even have the decency to tell me in person. I read it in the newsletter! I was very upset. I stayed on until the end of school but did not go back the following year. Turned out the one teacher they hired instead of me was after this teacher's job and did all she could to run her out of school. I still do not know why I did not get that job. The teacher blames the principal. The other teachers at school were very supportive.
    I hope you get the job. Good luck tomorrow.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

Best wishes on the news that you will hear today.

11. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I hope you hear good news!!! Good luck!

12. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I am rooting for you and keeping you in my thoughts. I do hope so badly they give you the job. There's no justice in this world if all the aides who prove themselves cannot get teaching jobs in their schools!

13. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

14. smalltowngal

Jun 8, 2009

Hoping you hear great news today!

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

OH MY GOD I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD!!!!!! THIS IS TORTURE!

16. smalltowngal

Jun 8, 2009

HUGE :hugs: Could you call them tomorrow if you still haven't heard anything?

17. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

I didn't get the job :dizzy: (there's no crying face). They hired a male 1st year teacher who just graduated 3 weeks ago.

18. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jun 8, 2009

I'm so sorry! It's their loss. Keep trying. Your friends here at AtoZ will keep rooting for you. It will happen for you. :/

19. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I'm so sorry. :hugs:
    They made a huge mistake.

20. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I'm so sorry... That blows!

21. smalltowngal

Jun 8, 2009

Learner~I'm shocked!! I'm so sorry. Are you going to ask them for feedback?

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 8, 2009

That is just WRONG!

23. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

Sorry to hear that....:(

24. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

I did. I asked if there was anything I could have done differently and he said "No. Everyone we interviewed did great and it was a really hard decision."
    So they made the decision solely on interview skills.

25. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

And men really do have a leg up in elementary grades.

26. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

Learner, I'm beyond sorry for you.

Do you think you'll have any opportunity to transfer to a different school in the district? Your current school has taken you for granted and they don't deserve you. What are your other options?

27. smalltowngal

Jun 8, 2009

Learner~That's just wrong!

28. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

Hugs! I am sorry- that really bites. Don't lose faith in your abilities as an educator though- realize immediately that this is their loss. You deserve better and with patience you will get it. Best wishes! I am sorry this happened to you.

29. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Learner I am so sorry to hear this. Are you keeping your aide job there or are you done? It's unfair seeing how they already know you, that they choose someone else and base it all on interview skills.

30. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

I have had a lot of time to analyze my situation and if I can get a job in a different school as an aide or otherwise, I will do so. But I can not give up my job completely in this economy. I'm not sure that I can go back and put my whole heart into it, but the prospect of me going back will probably push me harder to find a job somewhere else. The aides in the school district close by get a higher pay and get benefits so even that will be a step up.

31. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 8, 2009

So sorry...there aren't words :(.

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2009

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. That is just crazy that they chose a brand new graduate over you. Hugs.

33. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

I am so sorry to hear that and that seems really unfair. It would be very hard for me to give them my all in the future.

34. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2009

I'm sorry that this has happened to you.

35. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

this angers me to no end! somehow i keep seeing people who so deserve jobs getting them taken away =( its always the people i know who try the hardest and get nothing. WHY!!!!?

36. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

This happened to me to. I came back this year after they hired a fresh grad over myself because I get paid almost $16 an hour and all the other schools only pay $12. Later it turned out that the new teacher lived in the same town as the principal. It was a mistake to come back to work for this school. They have me sub and help the new teacher all the time because "I have valuable experience that will help her transition." Why didn't they just hire me in the first place? My advice - DO NOT go back to that school. It was one of the biggest mistakes of my life that I stayed where I was being taken for granted.

37. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

OOHHH, I don't know if I could say not to go back in this economy. There's always someone willing to take your place. If you have another offer, I definitely take it. I would also realize I probably wouldn't want to make long term plan in that school. But, I also don't think I would give up the job I do have unless I have one to replace it.

Good luck!