Starting to Freak Out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jul 27, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

I need some help calming down. I moved from Arizona to Texas and from kindergarten to third grade. High poverty ESL population to mostly middle/upper middle class caucasian English speakers. Reading First to non-reading first. Scripted reading/math programs to totally unscripted. No parent involvement to major parent involvement. Art is a waste of time to a school with an art grant in which all curriculum must be art infused.

Okay -- enough changes??? I am starting to freak out. I am SO excited but scared too. Has anyone else made this severe of a change? How did you handle it?

Also, I have never had to do all of my plans on my own (my old school was scripted.) Where do I start?

Any help appreciated.

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 27, 2006

*****We have open house one evening during the first week of school. Parents come, meet the teacher and look at the room.
    Have an apple for everyone and share this poem. We have several apple trees. I don’t have to buy the apples.
    An Apple for the teacher
    Is really nothing new
    Except when you remember
    Parents are teachers too!
    I put the apple in a popcorn sack with a bit of tissue paper.
    Staple the poem to the sack.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2006

As for curriculum, you will be very happy once you realize you have a bit more freedom and flexiblility. I'm sure you will meet with your grade level and have a common prep period. If not, make friends with a teacher whose been there a while and don't be afraid to seek advice. Everything will be great. Don't worry.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2006

from what I've read on here...........third grade is an awesome grade to teach! I've never taught it personally, but everyone I know who does LOVES it, and they've taught kindergarten before! I am in a school that sounds like you are just starting in.......upper middle class, lots of involvement! ENJOY IT! It is a blessing for the most part! :)

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2006

Have you met the teachers from your grade level yet? Third grade in Texas is a high stress position even at great schools so most teachers plan together as a grade level.

If not, make rough plans for a six weeks at time so you are sure you get all of your TEKS in before the TAKS. You can tweak your lessons as you go along, but it will make you breathe easier if you know you have a master plan.

7. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 27, 2006

Congrats! I love third grade. I think you will really like it! The parents are my school are very involved for the most part. It is nice...for the most part. :)

8. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

All the parent support is wonderful, I know we have lots of it at my school. Just be sure you know what type of role you want parents to play in your class- only for special art activities, reading groups, filing, etc. Be sure to have a plan for how to deal with all of this wonderful help; they could be a help or a hinderance :crosseyed .

Good luck,
    Cathy :D