Starting teaching midyear?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TexasTeach08, Jun 22, 2008.

1. TexasTeach08

TexasTeach08 New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Hey guys...I'm BRAND NEW to all of this (as in just now applied to an Alt. Cert. Program). I was wondering if anyone had any info about starting teaching midyear? I know I've probably missed the boat to start this year. I'm in Texas and I know some school districts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that are in great need (such as Grand Prairie) if anyone's familiar.

Is beginning midyear common? Or does anyone think I could squeeze in this year as long as I pass my content exam?

Thanks!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2008

Here in California hiring for the new year goes right on through the summer into September and October as the schools figure out how many students they have and how many teachers they have (some don't announce they are retiring until just before the new school year). After that pickings are pretty slim (teachers going on maternity or sick leave) until the beginning of the second semester. Then a few jobs usually open up as schools adjust their class offerings. My guess is it is not much different in the DFW area.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2008

Malcolm is right. The hiring process in many (most?) districts is just beginning. Don't give up yet!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2008

Schools are continuly hiring here. I've seen positions from Sept all the way through to Dec. And then they begin hiring mid year. Teachers decide they want to retire, they move, they can't handle it. There are lots of reasons. Good luck!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 22, 2008

I was hired twice mid-year, so it's definitely possible. My first job came because of overcrowding, and my second one was the result of a death over the Christmas break.

You can *always* find a job in Dallas.

7. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

Agree with above. What would your certification be in? That's makes a difference too!

8. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 22, 2008

They hire here all year long. Good luck on the job search!

9. TexasTeach08

TexasTeach08 New Member

Jun 24, 2008

Thank you very much everyone!

nayelismom..my certification area is EC-4 Generalist which I've been told is unfortunately a very common area...but I will press on!

10. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Yes, keep on! Have you ever thought about adding an endorsement to make you more marketable?

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

nayelismom is right -- why not try for an ESL certificate? That would make you a more desirable candidate, and you don't need to be able to speak a foreign language to teach ESL.

12. TexasTeach08

TexasTeach08 New Member

Jun 25, 2008

I have thought about that. I am going to look into it further.

Thanks!

13. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

You have to be able to understand the other language though, correct?

14. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I will echo everyone else and say don't not hire just because it's midway through the year... there are fewer positions open but there are also fewer people looking for those openings! I had a colleague last year who was hired after the Christmas break to replace a teacher who decided not to come back from maternity leave (yeah, like no one saw that coming!)

Worst case scenario, you get hired in a temporary position, but then you have your foot in the door for next year and some experience to brag about :)

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

There are often a few openings available mid-year. I graduated in December and found a job starting in January my first year. The teacher I replaced had to leave because her family was moving out of state.

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

They hire here pretty much all year! The main season is August through the 10 day count. Then it'll pick up about December but there are pretty much always positions posted. Have you thought about adding Special Ed? With RTI and inclusion coming down the pipe, it would help.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

If you just get your ESL supplement then no you do not have to speak or understand the language. The supplement is more for strategies used to teach ESL learners.

18. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I got my job in December of the 06-07 school year. After I did not get a job for September I went back and did course work for Special Ed. The first job interview I ever went on for Special Ed, I got and that was before I even completed my course work. It goes to show you how many new avenues are opened up once you get Special Ed certification.