Starting Teacher Prep Program

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by nikkipooh, Jan 3, 2006.

1. nikkipooh

nikkipooh Rookie

Jan 3, 2006

Hi everyone,
    I love this site, there is a lot of useful information here. I am beginning a teacher prep program at the end of January in Early Childhood. It is a grad program in New Jersey, I have a BA in unrelated field, I've never taken any education courses. This program is approved by NJ dept of ED. I have to take 4 classes within the early childhood program, then student teach and I will be certified to teach pre-3rd grade in NJ. If anyone here has participated in a program like this please let me know if you felt adequately prepared. I am nervous and excited at the same time, excited to have finally realized what I want to do and get out of the awful field I'm in now (criminal justice), but nervous because I'm not sure 4 classes will be enough. I want to be a good teacher, I want to be as prepared as I can be. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thank You!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2006

Don't panic. Really. Use the tools of thought that you developed for criminal justice - the looking for patterns, the awareness of motives and human psychology. Be aware that no amount of theory ever really prepares anyone for the reality of being a teacher - that sounds like bad news, but the comforting point is that you're not the only one who doesn't already know everything.

Oh, and welcome to A to Z!

4. uagirl7

uagirl7 Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

My undergraduate degree is in Interior Design but after graduating, I decided I wanted to teach so I went back and got my master's degree in elem. ed. I wish that my program had only been four classes. I had to take undergrad classes as well as graduate and student teach. It took me 3 years to complete. (This is in Alabama) I learned a lot in my classes I took, but as long as you have great cooperating teachers for your student teaching, you should learn enough from them to become a great teacher. My cooperating teachers were absolutely wonderful and I learned so much from them and it really helped me to become confident in my teaching ability. Best of luck to you!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2006

Nikki- will you have to take the PRAXIS as well? I'm in NJ but have not heard of the program of which you speak.

6. nikkipooh

nikkipooh Rookie

Jan 6, 2006

Actually I had to take and pass Praxis 2, Elem Ed Content Knowledge just to be accepted into the University for this program. I will be going to Rider Univ., in Lawrenceville. It is a graduate program and you have to have a Liberal Arts BA degree in order to be considered.

Czacza: Are you a teacher in NJ??

Everyone, thank you for the supportive comments.

7. Carol Keeney

Carol Keeney Rookie

Jan 11, 2006

Hi
    You will do fine. I remember the anxiety of beginning to teach and I had all the education courses. I think my book will help you a lot. It is a user friendly guide through every aspect of starting to teach young children.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2006

Hey Nikki- I am in NJ and graduated from Rider myself (Go Broncs!!) I was a business major though and got my ed masters later after I had my children.

9. mmixxie

mmixxie New Member

Jul 21, 2006

Teacher Prep Program?

Just a little note to see how everything went with your teacher prep program that you were supposed to start in January.

10. nikkipooh

nikkipooh Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Hi mmixxie: Thanks for asking about the program. I wish I had better news. I took 2 classes and I really felt out of place, like maybe teaching wasn't for me. I did not like the professors or their teaching styles. The prof I had for Ed psych was awful, he never discussed our readings in class, he was very abstract, we did all of these nonsensical activities in class like taking a survey to determine what personality type we were then graphing on this graph. He handed out an ENDLESS amount of handouts, always at thenend of class and never went over or explained what their significance was. One of the first handouts was something about mind mapping, but it was just 5 pages of pictures and arrows connecting them and we had never talked about mind mapping in the class before this and he didn't explain or talk about these handouts until about 1 month after, he said remember those handouts I gave you guys well that is mind mapping (1 month later:confused: ) and he still never really explained it. we just read bout difft theories of learning and development but he never really explained them or related them to anything practical. He didn't share any real time examples or stories of his teaching experiences, I found it to be a waste of time and a waste of a lot of money. The program is essentially 4 classes and then student teaching, needless to say I am not completeing the program at this school and my experience has led me to believe that I should not be a teacher, so now I owe a few thousand dollars and I have NOTHING to show for it.

11. Carol Keeney

Carol Keeney Rookie

Nov 25, 2006

Please do not let one teacher ruin your dreams of teaching. We have all had some teachers that could not communicate information as well as others. I agree with you that the teachers who share their experiences can help you see yourself dealing with similar students and situations. Have you started any other programs???Carol Keeney

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2006

I rememeber many, MANY classess that I had to take that made no sense whatsoever. I've also had teachers hand out paper and never go over them, or have us do homework that made no sense or never explained how it related to teaching. Anyways, I also quiestioned whether being a teacher was what I wanted after some of these courses. Actually, I really learned how to be a teacher when I first got my teaching job. Student teaching gave me a good idea, and so did subbing, but it wasn't until I got a job that I really learned what it was like to be a teacher. So, now I know that those teacher prep programs will not really get you ready for teaching. Yes, they make you read those books that are good and all, but really, it's not what I've read in a text book that's made me a good teacher, it's actually my students who are teaching me how to be a teacher.