Starting Student Teaching Soon

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Ringer3, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Ringer3

Ringer3 New Member

Dec 5, 2006

Hey everyone! First time poster here.

I'm starting my student teaching this January and I'm pretty nervous. I will most likely be teaching in Washington County, Maryland in a secondary school, although I'm still not sure of the specifics. My major is Social Studies Ed., so I'll be teaching classes in the social science field.

A few questions:

1) In general, what kind of things should I be doing to prepare for student teaching? Is there anything I can do to get ahead in the game?

2) I have some money budgeted towards student teaching in case I need it. Assume that I have a $500 budget. Are there any "must have" sources I should consider buying for student teaching, especially those related to the history/social science field? (i.e. Books, primary sources, dvds, computer programs)

3) Are there any quality message forums for history teachers only?

4) I was considering going to the library and checking out a high school world and US history book and just reading through them, coming up with ideas for lessons, brainstorming, etc. The problem is that I don't know exactly which grade I'll be teaching. Still, do you think this might be a good idea?

5) Any other advice, words of encouragement?

Thanks everyone!

3. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Dec 5, 2006

Ringer,

It is always great to be prepared for the unexpected.....but I think in your case, you should enjoy every minute of your free time before you begin ST. Student teaching experiences vary from complete hands-on, to seasoned teachers unwilling to let their student teachers do ANYTHING on their own. So to be honest, it is really hard to say what type of cooperating teacher you will have. The best thing to do is be eager to learn from anyone there (even if you don't agree with someone's teaching style) and to wait until you have the school curriculum at your disposal. Remember, curriculum also differs from across districts and even schools. Even if you check out high school history books at the library, I think it will be a big waiste of time for you, until you have THE actual history book you will be using at hand. Just go with the flow. REMEMBER: One day at a time, and have fun and let loose before the big day....

Good luck to you :)

4. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

On my first day of student teaching, about half an hour before the school day was to start, my mentor teacher looked at me for a minute, then tossed me a copy of Frankenstein and said, "First period is Senior AP English. You can have them."

Expect the unexpected.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 6, 2006

EEEEEP! What did you end up doing, I'm curious!

6. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Dec 6, 2006

Well I can somewhat see this teacher's reasoning, I would never make a student teacher do this. Would any of us like it if 30 minutes before the class we were told we had to teach something we had no prep time for?

Anyways, my advice would be to meet with your cooperating teacher. See what their expectations are, what units you will be teaching, then you may begin to develop those units.

7. kris007

kris007 Rookie

Dec 10, 2006

I did my student teaching last semester (Spring '06). I had a wonderful mentor teacher which can make all the difference. Just remember that, while you probably want the kids to like you, it will also be harder to discipline them if you try and be there "friend." It's difficult to go from being easy to being hard, but if you start out hard, you can always lighten up on them. Also, just remember that if you like the school, there is a good possibility that there will be a job opening there when you graduate, so think of this as an extended interview. Get to know the right people and impress them. If you have a good mentor teacher, he/she will probably help you do this. Good luck!