Starting Small in Job Hunting-Advice Please

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Annie93, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Annie93

Annie93 New Member

Sep 17, 2017

Hello,

I am recent December graduate with an Art Ed degree. I know it's not the biggest field but I am so happy with it. Like so many recent grads I am looking for a job. However, i went to school out of state. Knowing that I can't support myself without a car and a little anxious to live on my own 500 miles away from home, I move back in with my family.

From what I understand, transferring to Texas is not that taxing so i thought I start small in schools by subbing and do Aide jobs and the like to save money, save for a car, etc; then transfer when I have the funds. However, I have received virtually nothing back for paraprofessional jobs. I was once offered an interview, however when I tried to schedule they said they were only doing it for that day. It was so aggravating to give me one day to come up to the school to interview especially since I had to work as well and give me no chance to reschedule since they were going on break. I was rejected for a few positions but all the others I applied to, the post are just gone from the job site so I'm assuming they have been filled.

I just don't know what to do. I applied to every job I could at my local school district. I am thankfully a sub now (which apparently you only need to graduate high school to get the job). I know go out of district but I have no car and public transportation is a joke in my area. I just feel stuck. And the most frustrating thing is that my home district is looking for an Art teacher, but since I'm certified in another state I can't apply for it. Any advice??

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2017

Is the cost of transferring your certificate to Texas really out of your range of affordability? It sounds like you may need to be certified before you start getting more interviews.

4. Annie93

Annie93 New Member

Sep 17, 2017

Yes unfortunately it is. I am barely making 300 a month and with it being early in the school year sub jobs haven't came in yet.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 17, 2017

I looked, and it appears that the cost is a little under $200. Unfortunately, I agree that you really need to get the process started. Is there any way that you family can lend you that amount and that you can pay them back from subbing $?

bella84 likes this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 17, 2017

Have a garage sale.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 17, 2017

Agreed, start selling your stuff. It's an investment in your future. You can work a night job in addition to your subbing.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. When it comes to teaching licenses, this is especially true. Find a way to come up with the money it takes to get your license, even if it means borrowing a few bucks from a family member. It's very easy to get stuck in a holding pattern once you begin accepting low-paying jobs. Avoid that rut if at all possible.

yellowdaisies and AlwaysAttend like this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

Apply for the art job and put license pending on resume. And start the license transfer process NOW

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

How are you going to sub if you don't have flexibility in your schedule?

Caesar753 likes this.