Starting review today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

On Monday, our kids begin 3 days of trimester exams. So today in all my classes I begin review.

They're not my most favorite lessons to teach, but they do help the kids pull a lot of concepts together. There tend to be a lot of those "aha!" moments during review for trimesters.

The interesting class will be the algebra class I picked up just before Thanksgiving. My friend and I have taught together for close to 2 decades, and we tend to teach things in a very similar manner. But the syllabus was changed a little over the summer, so I'm not totally solid on exactly what topics they've learned; I'll have to take a look at the exam and make sure I've reviewed everything. (In "my own" classes, I just GO on the review, knowing what I've taught and what's on the exam.)

And we got the first snow of the season last year-- about half an inch here, maybe a bit more or less at school and in the towns my kids live in. So they'll be even more excitement in the air-- snow, Christmas, and upcoming exams.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 14, 2010

Wow, that's a long time for review. Do all teachers generally review that much for Exams? I usually take two periods of review...but my periods are almost double yours at 69 minutes each.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

No, math tends to review more than most departments.

There's just so much "how to" stuff to remember!

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

I won't have any in class review for midterms this year unfortunately! I'm still trailing behind the other teachers. However, they're having their students do a project to review. I wouldn't have done this anyway--too much stress going on!

I am doing after school review for a week (2 hours each day).

Alice: I was let down with the snow the other day. I was expecting a 2 hr delay, but no such luck!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

Some of our kids are in a state of panic over the possibility of snow on Sunday night.

A snow day would push the 3rd day of exams to December 23. (And I would be in on the wee hours of the 24th handing in my grades.)

We wouldn't close if we had a choice, but if enough big districts-- Sewanaka, RVC, Garden City, Hempstead and one or two others-- were to close, we would have no choice-- our kids wouldn't have a way to get to school.

Watching the forecast with interest.

7. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

Ahh that would be a rather unfortunate scenario! However, I was talking to a science teacher today that said the "blizzard" is probably going to be minor; however, it's the roads and ice that we need to watch out for as the temp. will be low for the next few days.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

This is the one and only time when our kids DON'T want a snow day!!!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 15, 2010

I don't know what the high school is going to do. We had a snowstorm that closed schools Monday & Tuesday, and then we had another round this past weekend. We've been out all week, and we're expecting another storm tonight. I don't know what they're going to do about exams. It's very unusual for us to miss school for snow before January.

10. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

Last year, we had very similar circumstances. We still went through with the exams, but we used all our snow days AND owed the state one day. We, along with other LI school districts, had to petition the state to waive the lost day. This year, we budgeted for 5 snow days instead of 2.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 15, 2010

I was ahead of everyone this year by a few days. So instead of assigning a project or another paper, I reviewed with my students by playing some review games. I also made a pretty big review packet for them.

I finished grading their Trimester I Exams today, my Freshman averaged 10 points higher than the other classes. The essay question was take home so that probably gave them a boost.